• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

First winter with a bike and thinking about getting an indoor smart trainer...

Jan 13, 2021
Visit site
I am loving having a bike this summer, and thinking I need to get a trainer to bike indoors this winter (midwest weather, US).

Any thoughts on this for starters? I don't really know where to start looking at all. I would love to try zwift. :)

Thanks.

If you're happy parting with that much money without being sure if you like indoor training the Kickr Core is a great trainer and does have good resale value as well.

If you're tentative, something like the Tacx Vortex or Bushido is a great value entry level trainer for a third/half of the price.

The best way to be sure is to see if you can try one out first. Indoor training can be an acquired taste for some.

If you're happy parting with that much money without being sure if you like indoor training the Kickr Core is a great trainer and does have good resale value as well.

If you're tentative, something like the Tacx Vortex or Bushido is a great value entry level trainer for a third/half of the price.

The best way to be sure is to see if you can try one out first. Indoor training can be an acquired taste for some.
The problem is if you find that you can handle indoor training you might regret getting the budget level version and will spend extra money on a top spec model anyway.

If you train regularly and are motivated to keep this level during a northern hemisphere winter (we are spoilt in Oz) then spending a fraction of the cost of a new bike is a good spend. The idea is don't spend any money on a smart trainer until you are sure. The suggestion to try one out first is spot on.

I bought a KicrR a few years ago and never looked back. Performs flawlessly.

I am loving having a bike this summer, and thinking I need to get a trainer to bike indoors this winter (midwest weather, US).

Any thoughts on this for starters? I don't really know where to start looking at all. I would love to try zwift. :)

Thanks.
Do you have a power meter on your bike? If not then once you have a smart trainer and ride on Zwift then you will become dependent on power so will want one so that is another outlay to consider. If you can afford it get both but there is a decent alternative, get a power meter for your bike and then buy a top quality non smart trainer, if you want 'realism' it won't be so good but if you just want to train, do workouts and intervals then it is fine and that is what I use. Going uphill still feels like going uphill you just have to use your gears and if you want to stick to a particular zone then don't use your gears and all roads are flat you just go slower uphill.