• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Fixed gear riders

Page 2 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Certainly not the swankiest looking saddles out there....in fact, the whole touring-bike set up is heavy and pretty fugly,......functionality and reliability take presidence over fashion and aesthetics.

What saddles do you have on your Bikes?

I like Fizik Arione on my road and their Gobi on the MTB

Getting way off-thread....sorry.

Re: Re:

JackRabbitSlims said:
aphronesis said:
Front brake on the non-fix single speed is probably the way to go.

Brooks? You a hipster?

No, I don't think so.

Just appreciate the comfort of a good quality leather saddle ;)

That saddle (B17 with copper rivets) has taken me just over 13000kms, through 8 countries in the last 7 months,on my fully loaded touring rig.
Prefer to buy quality and comfort....at my age, I don't really care what it looks like....I want it to work well,and last!
Brook saddles have a cult like following in the cycle-touring community :D

I've never understood why cycle-tourers would be so enamoured with a saddle that doesn't like to get wet.

winkybiker said:
JackRabbitSlims said:
aphronesis said:

Brooks? You a hipster?

No, I don't think so.

That saddle (B17 with copper rivets) has taken me just over 13000kms, through 8 countries in the last 7 months,on my fully loaded touring rig.
Prefer to buy quality and comfort....at my age, I don't really care what it looks like....I want it to work well,and last!

I've never understood why cycle-tourers would be so enamoured with a saddle that doesn't like to get wet.

When you're sitting in the saddle all day, yes, even in the rain, it doesn't really get wet ;)
When you buy a Brooks saddle it comes with an awesome rain cover to use at night....a plastic bag will also suffice.

Over 30000 kms on this Brooks B17 Touring.....once had 9 days straight of rain when I rode around Tasmania....still going strong.
Plus, you need to follow the manufacturers instructions :- https://roadcyclinguk.com/how-to/maintenance/brooks-b17-ti-saddle-break-in-–-part-three-proofide-pudding.html#fjQATKg443QPoYPT.97

Have you ever owned Leather Hiking Boots?? I've got a pair I bought in 2007 (Asolo) still going strong!!

JackRabbitSlims said:
winkybiker said:
JackRabbitSlims said:
aphronesis said:

Brooks? You a hipster?

No, I don't think so.

When you're sitting in the saddle all day, yes, even in the rain, it doesn't really get wet ;)
When you buy a Brooks saddle it comes with an awesome rain cover to use at night....a plastic bag will also suffice.

Over 30000 kms on this Brooks B17 Touring.....once had 9 days straight of rain when I rode around Tasmania....still going strong.
Plus, you need to follow the manufacturers instructions :- https://roadcyclinguk.com/how-to/maintenance/brooks-b17-ti-saddle-break-in-–-part-three-proofide-pudding.html#fjQATKg443QPoYPT.97

Have you ever owned Leather Hiking Boots?? I've got a pair I bought in 2007 (Asolo) still going strong!!

The whole break-in and proofing thing also puts me off. And even then they don't really like to get wet. Yes, I have "leather" hiking boots, but over the years they have been greatly improved by the use of synthetic materials for water-proofness, easier "break-in" (there isn't really any with modern boots) and lighter weight. My current Scarpas use Goretex, synthetic fabric panels and synthetic rubber soles and toe/heel bumpers to great benefit. For all I know, even the "leather" may be synthetic. Cycling shoes haven't (with a few exceptions, perhaps) been real leather for years, thankfully.

I also had Asolos many years ago. Great boots. They had Goretex liners, synthetic soles and synthetic panels, though.

I also cycle-toured Tasmania. It's just great. 2800km, about half on dirt/gravel forestry roads including the Western Explorer. Fully loaded, camping. Not one flat tyre or broken spoke. Freewheel played up a bit after riding on the beach at Macquarie heads but then lasted another 5 years. You'll be happy to know I had just one day of rain when on Bruny Island.

Followed it up with a hike from Pedder Dam to the coast through the SW wilderness.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/winkyintheuk/albums/72057594047355478

https://www.flickr.com/photos/winkyintheuk/albums/72057594064770766

winkybiker said:
JackRabbitSlims said:
winkybiker said:
JackRabbitSlims said:
aphronesis said:

Brooks? You a hipster?

No, I don't think so.

The whole break-in and proofing thing also puts me off. And even then they don't really like to get wet. Yes, I have "leather" hiking boots, but over the years they have been greatly improved by the use of synthetic materials for water-proofness, easier "break-in" (there isn't really any with modern boots) and lighter weight. My current Scarpas use Goretex, synthetic fabric panels and synthetic rubber soles and toe/heel bumpers to great benefit. For all I know, even the "leather" may be synthetic. Cycling shoes haven't (with a few exceptions, perhaps) been real leather for years, thankfully.

I also had Asolos many years ago. Great boots. They had Goretex liners, synthetic soles and synthetic panels, though.

I also cycle-toured Tasmania. It's just great. 2800km, about half on dirt/gravel forestry roads including the Western Explorer. Fully loaded, camping. Not one flat tyre or broken spoke. Freewheel played up a bit after riding on the beach at Macquarie heads but then lasted another 5 years. You'll be happy to know I had just one day of rain when on Bruny Island.

Followed it up with a hike from Pedder Dam to the coast through the SW wilderness.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/winkyintheuk/albums/72057594047355478

https://www.flickr.com/photos/winkyintheuk/albums/72057594064770766

Yeah, you're not the only one with that thinking :D just spent 3 weeks riding northern Laos with a couple of Germans I met on the road....he wasn't a fan of the Brooks and couldn't be bothered with all the BS around breaking in and maintaining.
Luckily there are so many saddles to choose from these days!

My Brooks was sweet to go right outta the box.....I was ready for weeks of painful riding to get it broken in, but I used it on my commuter and it was fine from day one....has just gotten better with time....now, I don't even need to ride in bibs!

Agree, hiking boots have come a long way in 10 years, I doubt I'd buy a full leather upper again, especially with what is available on the market today. When the Asolos die, I'll address that then.

For me East Tassie was great, from Hobart to Straun and onwards I just had loads of rain and headwind.....kinda ruined the trip for me.
Melbourne to Adelaide via the Great Ocean Road was fantastic though and made up for the Tassie weather.....and real shitty driving they have down there :mad: