• The Cycling News forum is still looking to add volunteer moderators with. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

FLandis letter, links

Page 4 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Oct 6, 2009
Visit site
Somebody Lied

Verbruggen told Eurosport in the Spring of 2005 that Armstrong made the payment to the UCI in order "to discover new anti-doping methods."

“He gave money from his private funds, cash. He didn't want this to be known but he did it," Verbruggen said, according to Eurosport in 2005.

Stephen Roche weighs in

http://www.velonation.com/News/ID/4...-and-the-improving-lot-of-French-cycling.aspx

"I think that you have to say this is all part of the past and get on with it. You know, I think that what Landis did would have had more power and more strength if he had done it better. I think that there are other ways of coming clean than the way he did it. You don’t have to tell the whole world about it. He could have gone to the UCI, sat down with them, and said ‘this is what I have seen, this is what I have done, this is what was happening around me. Please now have it on file and do something about it.’

http://articles.lancasteronline.com/local/4/259958

It's easy to throw rocks at Floyd Landis. After having first cheated and then denied cheating, and now saying he cheated after all, he's truly earned his pariah status at this point.

Floyd's accusations give me pause though, not because of any credibility on his part, but because it sounds so familiar.

Listen to the CEO of BP dismissing the oil spill in the Gulf as if it were of hardly any consequence.

For years, oil companies lobbied to loosen safety procedures while they produced slick television ads telling us how "green" they were!

Or how about the Wall Street "masters of the universe" who sold products they knew were going to fail and then bet against those products?

How about our health care system, which fails so many when they need it most, while insurance companies profits and executive pay soar?

Who among us is willing to do something about the greed and deception that have serious consequences in our everyday life?

Or is cheating and lying for ones own personal gain too much of an all-American enterprise for us to take a stand against it?

From where I stand, Floyd looks like the good guy. At least he's owned up to what he was doing. I wish the same were true for us.

... and one more...

http://tennishasasteroidproblem.blogspot.com/2009/06/operacion-puerto.html

Samaranch - the only Spanish member of the International Olympic Committee (IOC), and the son of IOC president Juan Antonio Samaranch (1980-2001) - said he is tired of how judge Antonio Serrano’s decisions contribute to cast doubt on Spanish sport.
“I don’t understand it, I really don’t understand it! Take all those bags, turn the lights on and call the typists, and get all the dirty laundry out onto the street!” he said angrily.

Jun 19, 2009
Visit site
fatandfast said:
*** edited by mod ***

No discussion in this thread -- only links, please.

Everythings deleted by mod and I'm confused, old, drunk. Are people fighting or swearing? I'm getting scared before the Tour.

Oct 6, 2009
Visit site
http://www.nytimes.com/2010/06/29/sports/cycling/29cycling.html

At least two of the people Landis implicated said they had met with investigators to tell of their past involvement with doping. They did not provide details of those meetings, but both said they were honest in responding to the investigators’ questions. Those men, long followers of cycling’s code of silence that kept doping a secret, did not want their names published for fear of retribution during racing at the Tour.