• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

FLandis' new website

"Floyd Landis is an American hero. Landis won the 2006 Tour de France amid controversy surrounding the incompetence of the French Anti-Doping Laboratory (LNDD) and the handling of his test. Landis won the race in classic American fashion with a bold, come from behind, risk it all attack in the mountains of stage 17. His victory is considered by many to be the greatest athletic comeback of all time."

Can somebody pass the bucket?

Anf why does everything have to be American this and American that - "won the race in classic American fashion" - referring to by doping? Anyone would think no one else had ever won a race before.

I thought classic American fashion would be to a) attack for no reason whatsoever other than one they made up, b) because they train better than anyone else ever, or c) wait until everyone else is exhausted and then rock up and say, "Hey, we won for you!"

Avoriaz said:
"Floyd Landis is an American hero. Landis won the 2006 Tour de France amid controversy surrounding the incompetence of the French Anti-Doping Laboratory (LNDD) and the handling of his test. Landis won the race in classic American fashion with a bold, come from behind, risk it all attack in the mountains of stage 17. His victory is considered by many to be the greatest athletic comeback of all time."

Apparently Floyd doesn't read the news...

Mar 18, 2009
Visit site
Apparently, that text was written by the one person in the world who actually does correspond to the "American Idiot" stereotype.

"Wir goun ween fer MERICA! MON MERICA!"

Apr 26, 2010
Visit site
This must be the funniest site i have ever been to:

"After 20,000 miles of cycling last year with his new hip, Landis now looks to regain his title as World’s Greatest Cyclist and, once again, inspire the world to greater heights in “classic” American style"

Who thought of this? And when did FLandis ever have the title of World's Greatest Cyclist? Some people are seriously mad.
This one is pretty good as well:

"Landis single handedly revolutionized the anti-doping system and his moral victory is seen as a victory for athletes everywhere."

Whahahahah! His 'moral' victory over the 'incompetent' french doping system.
Yup. Floyd Landis is truly a great american hero.....

Aug 11, 2009
Visit site
Vonn Brinkman said:
Who thought of this? And when did FLandis ever have the title of World's Greatest Cyclist? Some people are seriously mad.

If a rider legitimately wins Paris-Nice and the Tour de France in the same year, then I'd say that rider has a decent claim to the "Greatest Cyclist" at that point in time title. So, before Floyd got busted at least (so, for a couple of days, I guess), maybe that title was his. Otherwise, agreed, the site seems pretty silly. Also, pretty funny, though, if you get a kick out of spin doctoring.

Avoriaz said:
And why does everything have to be American this and American that - "won the race in classic American fashion" - referring to by doping? Anyone would think no one else had ever won a race before.
Because the target audience are people who saw cycling hi-lights on ESPN from their couch inside their trailer, and believe "the French" (yes, clumping the entire nation together) are all out to get Americans.
I thought classic American fashion would be to...attack for no reason whatsoever other than one they made up,
Yes, but that's usually only the case for things like war, and economics, or anything with a political bent to it. Maybe Floyd should try running for mayor of Lakeside, or wherever he's living these days.

Keep in mind, a lot of Americans think Floyd is/was a cheating doper and f*** up. But I think at this point, most people don't think of him at all. Which makes these threads about him all the more pointless, as in his racing over the last 2 years his results have been often lower than Cat 1, and even sometimes Cat 2 racers. Thus, what's the point for even mentioning his name? We're just wasting bandwidth.

Apr 29, 2010
Visit site
Alpe d'Huez said:
Because the target audience are people who saw cycling hi-lights on ESPN from their couch inside their trailer, and believe "the French" (yes, clumping the entire nation together) are all out to get Americans.

Yes, but that's usually only the case for things like war, and economics, or anything with a political bent to it. Maybe Floyd should try running for mayor of Lakeside, or wherever he's living these days.

Keep in mind, a lot of Americans think Floyd is/was a cheating doper and f*** up. But I think at this point, most people don't think of him at all. Which makes these threads about him all the more pointless, as in his racing over the last 2 years his results have been often lower than Cat 1, and even sometimes Cat 2 racers. Thus, what's the point for even mentioning his name? We're just wasting bandwidth.

Well I thought it might provide a decent example of how absolutely ridiculous the decision making processes of a known super-doper are . I mean did he even read this stuff on his site? Does he really believe it because he has a multiple personality disorder or something?

That he sucks so much racing now is all the more interesting to me. I find the whole arc, from pre-dope promising athlete, to doped superstar, to fallen hero determined to "clear his name", to bitter old has been with some serious cognitive discord a fascinating and tragic story.

Rip:30 said:
Well I thought it might provide an a decent example of how absolutely ridiculous the decision making processes of a known super-doper are . I mean did he even read this stuff on his site? Does he really believe it because he has a multiple personality disorder or something?

That he sucks so much racing now is all the more interesting to me. I find the whole arc, from pre-dope promising athlete, to doped superstar, to fallen hero determined to "clear his name", to bitter old has been with some serious cognitive discord a fascinating and tragic story.

Indeed it is modern-day Shakespearean tragedy with FLandis playing the role of a stereotypical spirited knave brought down hard by his own hubris; excessive pride that leads to a downfall. King Lear Landis?

Dec 29, 2009
Visit site
Alpe d'Huez said:

freedom fries.

ed rader

Oct 6, 2009
Visit site
I still think Floyd's new website is all a shot at Lance. Look at the pictures he's chosen of him and LA, where Lance looks to be struggling and Floyd looks calm. Read that bio part about the greatest comeback of all time - it sounds like Floyd is moving in on LA's phraseology. I assumed the whole thing was meant to be sarcastic.

Dr. Maserati

BANNED
Jun 19, 2009
Visit site
Aha....I always knew Floyd looked familiar.

"The Greatest American Hero"

izcj9w.jpg
35c21d5.jpg

Jul 7, 2009
Visit site
Alpe d'Huez said:

I think you have something there.
I keep looking at the Flandis thread thinking he may get a ride with a real team.
I think Floyd's probably just about finished.

ergmonkey said:
If a rider legitimately wins Paris-Nice and the Tour de France in the same year, then I'd say that rider has a decent claim to the "Greatest Cyclist" at that point in time title.

And, of course, if he stands better in the general classification than the Greatest Cyclist of All Times (check Tour of the Gila)... Who we are to question his claim?!

If the consensus is that everyone doped that year, then Landis WAS the greatest rider that year. Just stupid to get caught.
He DID rid boldly, and was the only one actually trying to win the TdF that day. He suffered, after bonking the day before. Perfect situation. No stress, rested legs (no big effort day before, at cost of minutes), and then nothing to lose in his long attack. the supposed champions of that year just looked at him ride off. So weak. later, SRM showed Landis wasn't doing anything unhuman, so others must have been slacking. Certainly looked that way.

Virenque always rode this way, and became a hero for it, despite the Festina thing.

Feb 21, 2010
Visit site
Cloxxki said:
If the consensus is that everyone doped that year, then Landis WAS the greatest rider that year. Just stupid to get caught.
He DID rid boldly, and was the only one actually trying to win the TdF that day. He suffered, after bonking the day before. Perfect situation. No stress, rested legs (no big effort day before, at cost of minutes), and then nothing to lose in his long attack. the supposed champions of that year just looked at him ride off. So weak. later, SRM showed Landis wasn't doing anything unhuman, so others must have been slacking. Certainly looked that way.

Virenque always rode this way, and became a hero for it, despite the Festina thing.

Can't say I disagree.

Although, had the OP scandal not broken, and guys like Basso, Ulrich, Mancebo, etc. been in the race, I think Landis ends up 5th or 6th.