• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Flash! Armstrong announces their was tension during the Tour de France

A

Anonymous

I'm glad we finally have confirmation of what we all suspected...:rolleyes:

A

Anonymous

racerralph said:
Wow, so one month later, actually TWO months later, we get it straight from the horses mouth(Lance Armstrong candidly admits...). Inside scoop.....There was tension in the Astana camp during the TdF!!!!! :eek: Really!!!??? Now that is investigative reporting at it's finest. Digging under the opaque surfaces that the racing establishment rarely allows us to peer into, and uncovering the hidden facts!! I just wish we could have been told who the others were that got dragged into the tense situation Lance described, Now that would have been real NEWS. Maybe one day, when and if, those injured parties write their memoirs, we'll find out. But in the meantime, talk amongst yourselves. How does this startling, new revelation impact your appreciation of this years TdF?

On more than one occasion there was quiet at the dinner table...:eek:

I think AC deserves a lot of credit for dealing with the mental stress. AC made some tactical mistakes that may have been brought on by the mind games. Surely he learned a thing or two from the experience.

I think this "newsflash" makes LA look even worse than he already does. The best thing he could do is to not discuss this year's TdF. It makes him look small(er) and petty(er).

Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
The ludicrous nature of the "news item" is summed up really nicely by the following:
http://www.journaux.fr/revue.php?id=106872

That's the August edition of the magazine. Aside from being a fantastic excuse for me to practice my French, it had a couple of good articles on the topic at hand. One talked about AC's strengths - and spent more time talking about his mental strength than his legs and climbing skills. So, yes Scott SoCal - I agree with you that he does deserve credit for his mental strength.

The other articles talked about the state of things within Astana. For those who don't know French, that's the second sub-title at the side of cover - "The war in his team". The articles covered it both from AC's point of view and as part of an overall assessment of Armstrong (including quotes on the topic from Armstrong) - and whether he really was a "new person" or just the same old Armstrong. (Conclusion - same old, same old ...).

So, how come if the French press could get all of this together for a magazine that was published at the start of August, the English language media is making a new item out of it now ...??

I've only just discovered the French cycling press - mainly 'cos my French hasn't been up to it before now - but I am glad I did ...Not only is the reporting and assumed level of knowledge of the readers better (case in point, an article in that same issue on whether the Tour should be shortened to two weeks - including quotes in support of the idea from Prudhomme - written in the style of a "discussion starter" rather than a reporting piece), but the timeliness of the reporting obviously beats the English language media hands down ... :)

A

Anonymous

thank you for this, much appreciated..

i had been feeling something was different around here recently, something wasnt quiet right, there was something missing and i just couldnt put my finger on it..

the forum had changed and i couldnt work out why...

now i know.. :D

I had been missing the armstrong threads

Jun 21, 2009
Visit site
lance would also like everyone to know that he likes the view when he's on his bike. or his office, as he calls it and has a good old chuckle to himself to match his own knuckle patting himself on the back, congratulating himself on his clever way with words - "nice one lancey boy, your 'office', ha ha. works day after day after day after day after day after day after day after day that one."

edit: he is also psyched to have the opportunity to send direct twitters to his youngest son

A

Anonymous

workingclasshero said:
edit: he is also psyched to have the opportunity to send direct twitters to his youngest son

You gotta admit, his genes are FANTASTIC if he has a 6 month old that can read...that and his 6 month old son has his own Blackberry. Dang.

Publicus said:
Well it confirmed my suspicions. Glad Armstrong kept this under wraps until after the Tour. Imagine if this had come out during the Tour?!?!?!

When I first saw the headline I had to check the date stamp on my computer, thinking someone had set it back 2 weeks as a joke.
Do you suppose this means that LA has finally realized that he was acting like an idiot and now he is trying to upgrade "his side" of the story?

Jun 24, 2009
Visit site
Hugh Januss said:
When I first saw the headline I had to check the date stamp on my computer, thinking someone had set it back 2 weeks as a joke.
Do you suppose this means that LA has finally realized that he was acting like an idiot and now he is trying to upgrade "his side" of the story?
I truly think that if he wanted to "upgrade" his side of the story he would just keep his mouth closed, and hope the memories of this Tour just fade away. But I suppose that's impossible, because he wants to try and take control of this part of people's memories of the '09 Tour. If he were really truthful about the experience, he might do more than admit that Contador was better than him (another declaration of the obvious. Oh, How BIG of him!) He might admit that he himself put a lot of unnecessary pressure on his own teammate. And that maybe that wasn't the thing he should have been doing, especially while he was busy talking about the team work that it takes to win a Tour.

Aug 1, 2009
Visit site
Every time I hear about Armstrong i want to collect all my nike gear in a pile and set it on fire. I wish he would just go into politics and stay there.

Hey....there's a Grand Tour on, the transfer blackout is lifted, today and the worlds are just around the corner.
Do you really think Armstrong is going to switch off his twitter, at this point and take his i pod to the beach for a month?

He will be verbally muscling his way back into the pro scene news, as he can't live in it's archives.

This piece must rank as one of his biggest non-news soundbites and the competition for that award, is pretty intensive.

Mar 11, 2009
Visit site
Jun 24, 2009
Visit site
ak-zaaf said:
man, it's fanboy nation over there

i'm there!
Fat chance. I'm not sure what sports you have been watching lately, but it doesn't sound like you've beenwatchin bike racing this summer, or learned much from what you've seen take place on the roads.
But I guess if we keep our Rose colored glasses on, and we keep thinking that things are just going to keep getting better for this 38 year old, we can keep cheerleading away!! Rah, Rah, Rah!!!!:D

Mar 11, 2009
Visit site
racerralph said:
Fat chance. I'm not sure what sports you have been watching lately, but it doesn't sound like you've beenwatchin bike racing this summer, or learned much from what you've seen take place on the roads.
But I guess if we keep our Rose colored glasses on, and we keep thinking that things are just going to keep getting better for this 38 year old, we can keep cheerleading away!! Rah, Rah, Rah!!!!:D

that quote i posted was from someone on that forum, not mine.
if you thats not what you mean, i don't know what you're talking about :p

Aug 13, 2009
Visit site
El Imbatido said:
We will need secret codenames (ala Operation Puerto) so we cannot be linked back here;) and also so we know each other.

I see ak-zaaf already has a pretty inconspicuous name on that forum: Zaaf:D

First one who signs up as Lisa Shiels wins a pony

TRENDING THREADS