• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Flashlight or Headlamp for Bike

Jun 15, 2015
Visit site
I love riding bike at night, and now, I am looking for a flashlight to mount to my bike, but I am advised to get a headlamp, so, in your opinion, is flashlight better, or headlamp better? Do you know any good flashlight brand?

Jun 12, 2015
Visit site
If you're road riding and the streets are well lit - i can recommend using a stem or bar mounted front light that will further illuminate the road in front of you and a red rear light mounted on your seatpost (make this one large, bright and with flashing options if possible)

If MTBing at night or riding in poorly lit areas, what King Boonen says above is ideal.....a headlamp and a stem / bar mounted light....along with the the rear red light so you can be seen from behind.

I also like the small led lights that you can mount / tie / wind on to your frame or through the back of your helmet for extra exposure!!

Dont scrimp on lights - there are some amazing options out there to choose from....USB rechargeable is a nice feature but $$$ for the good ones.

Some brands that I like and have used are:-
https://www.knog.com.au
https://www.cateye.com/en/
http://www.lezyne.com/index.php?en
Exposure Lights are great, but very pricey!!

Here is a review for some more reading -http://www.bikelightsreview.com/reviews/

Jun 15, 2015
Visit site
Hi, StinkFist. Thanks for your suggestion. I have found some flashlights online such as streamlight, fenix, Tank007 flashlight, etc. these flashlights seem to be good for cycling. I may purchase one from them. If there are good headlamp, I may also buy one as King Boonen suggested.

Jun 12, 2015
Visit site
I alway associate "FlashLight" with some thing I grab from the cupboard when I hear a strange noise outside at night...usually has no batteries through :)

I would be searching for Bike Specific lights rather than "Flashlights" - If that helps?
A few more details about the riding you're doing at night would help and you would (hopefully) receive more refined answers.

I make sure I can see very well in front of me and EXTRA SURE that those behind me can see me......some times I'm lit up like a Xmas tree from behind....I put red lights in my helmet, a large flashing red light on the seat post and attach small red lights to the rear of my Frame......when there's a group of us riding at night, it can be quite a sight!! (skuse the pun)

Jun 18, 2020
Visit site
I have a headlamp but I always bring a flashlight. I love to take long cycles every now and then, you can never be too prepared. If youre planning on getting a flashlight, you should check out this review.

Last edited:
I had very good results with a DIY combination 2-sided headlight/taillight which I mounted on the handlebars so it extends outward into the traffic about 6 inches. That encouraged vehicles to not pass too closely (it might scratch their paint!).
Jay

Reactions: jmdirt
One thing to consider—if you live in a city and use bike paths for night riding, I think any handlebar-mounted light helps keep you from blinding oncoming riders as happens with folks using headlamps. During the wintertime in Seattle, it’s completely dark during evening rush hour, but there are still a lot of bike commuters on the two-way bike paths. Even if someone using a headlamp has it pointed down to illuminate the pavement directly in front of them, they tend to look up at an incoming cyclist, putting the beam directly in the eyes of the rider. I’m sure many of you who use headlamps know enough that you don’t look directly at the oncoming biker, but it’s hard to reach people who aren’t aware of that.

TRENDING THREADS