• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

football and basketball

I figured we should have a thread to discuss two of the most popular sports (at least here in America) football and basketball, both of which are in season right now.

A couple of my thoughts (showing a bit of local bias):
Cincinnati Bengals to win the Super Bowl with OchoCinco as MVP

Florida Gators win the national title over Texas Longhorns

Kobe and the Lakers win another championship, but he still is nowhere near as good as Jordan was

and the young Kentucky Wildcats mature before our eyes, waltzing to a national title, and subsequently half the team leaves for the NBA

Mar 18, 2009
Visit site
Sorry, give me hockey and home sports like cricket, rugby union, and Aussie Rules Football. I guess you need to grow up with a sport to have an affinity for it. While I like American Football, I only like the action and don't usually watch anything but the highlights because of the endless ad breaks that turn an hour game into a three hour game. Having spent some time in Canada now, I really do like hockey. Fast and tough, and lots of action.

Jun 19, 2009
Visit site
elapid said:
Sorry, give me hockey and home sports like cricket, rugby union, and Aussie Rules Football. I guess you need to grow up with a sport to have an affinity for it. While I like American Football, I only like the action and don't usually watch anything but the highlights because of the endless ad breaks that turn an hour game into a three hour game. Having spent some time in Canada now, I really do like hockey. Fast and tough, and lots of action.

Ditto on the US Football.
American Basketball has turned into a joke with more highly paid felons per square inch of floorspace than any sport conducted outside of a prison. It's gone to almost total highlights on a single player instead of a team game. Real shame as it's the most fun to play.

The college game is alot more inspirational to watch.

Apr 12, 2009
Visit site
to be clear:
Handegg_thumb4.jpg

Oct 29, 2009
Visit site
aarnold517 said:
I figured we should have a thread to discuss two of the most popular sports (at least here in America) football and basketball, both of which are in season right now.

A couple of my thoughts (showing a bit of local bias):
Cincinnati Bengals to win the Super Bowl with OchoCinco as MVP

Florida Gators win the national title over Texas Longhorns

Kobe and the Lakers win another championship, but he still is nowhere near as good as Jordan was

and the young Kentucky Wildcats mature before our eyes, waltzing to a national title, and subsequently half the team leaves for the NBA

I'm thinking Minnesota will make a run, win the Super Bowl and Bret finally retires....maybe that's just wishful thinking :rolleyes:

I somewhat expect Bama over Florida in the SEC title game (a game that will be far more entertaining than the National Championship). Then Bama beats Texas easily.

I'm inclined to agree with the Laker, but the Cavs have a big man now. If shaq stays healthy, Lebron might get his first ring and only begin to cement his legacy....still far away from Jordan's level.

as for Kentucky, couldn't agree more.

And I have to comment on Hockey, Sidney Crosby and the Pens win another Stanley cup. Any takers?

Soccer or whatever you want to call it is a total mystery to me. Nothing against it. I just don't get it, but I grew up playing basketball, so I'd assume that's why: not enough exposure.

Mar 18, 2009
Visit site
ImmaculateKadence said:
And I have to comment on Hockey, Sidney Crosby and the Pens win another Stanley cup. Any takers?

Crosby is in a slump and I am not convinced of the Pens being able to make it back-to-back. My money is on the perennial Devils, but would love to see my home team (Senators) make a decent run at the championships.

A

Anonymous

Men's college basketball is the single greatest sport to watch in the history of mankind. Fortunately for me, I live in the home of real basketball.

As for Kentucky, they mature right up until Calipari commits another recruiting violation and then they sink like a mobster tied to a rock.

A

Anonymous

Buffalo Soldier said:
to be clear:
Handegg_thumb4.jpg

yup...

and im not talking about the nfl at the moment..
28 years a dolphins fan and it gets worse and worse.. nice win on sunday, but we desperately need a win tommoro, or its going to be yet another one of those seasons that promises "lots for next year"

as for "FOOTBALL" liverpool are playing like a bunch of idiots

Mar 18, 2009
Visit site
Thoughtforfood said:
Men's college basketball is the single greatest sport to watch in the history of mankind. Fortunately for me, I live in the home of real basketball.

I still vividly remember when my lowly alma mater took down the mighty UNC Tarheels in the first round...and we're like div 1-AAAAA or something :D

That was 10 years ago though...we haven't done much since :eek:

Oct 29, 2009
Visit site
elapid said:
Crosby is in a slump and I am not convinced of the Pens being able to make it back-to-back. My money is on the perennial Devils, but would love to see my home team (Senators) make a decent run at the championships.

You make a good point on the Pens, but Malkin was the one with all the heroics last year. If they don't slump at the end, they could be dangerous. The devils are too, certainly won't take anything from them, but I hold out hope that my Lightning could recapture that magic from 04.

The Senators and Lightning have similar records; they may end up fighting it out late in the season and playoffs.

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
Thoughtforfood said:

Big thumbs up. There is nothing better than watching TV in a crowded triangle pub when Duke and UNC battle it out... :)

RDV4ROUBAIX said:
Hey, there's a Hockey thread now. Leave this one for the ball sports.

I thought Hockey was the only sports mentioned in this thread that required actual balls... ;) goooooo vechkin!

TFF and Bala you guys may have a better rivalry down in north carolina (the best rivalry and series in the country IMO) and you may have passion for college hoops, but you cant come anywhere close to the insanity that is Kentucky Wildcats basketball...no way do your fans live and die by each game like UK fans do (not a good thing mind you)...still one of my dreams before i die would be to watch a UNC-Duke game at cameron indoor, by far the best gym to watch a game in in the country

oh and just saw this article on espn.com, would be awesome if it ever actually happened:
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=4667259

Jul 23, 2009
Visit site
Thoughtforfood said:

As for Kentucky, they mature right up until Calipari commits another recruiting violation and then they sink like a mobster tied to a rock.

I have not watched much football in the past five years (49'rs are not the club they were in the 80s and 90s) but will always be a NCAA basketball fan. I started watching the University of Arizona play in the mid 1980s and have vivid memories of the 1988 Final Four that I listened to from a gas station parking lot waiting for a ride after snapping the crankshaft in my parents Buick. They have not missed a tournament since 1985, and won a National Championship 1997. At the moment it looks like the streak is in danger but with a very good new coach and some decent players anything is possible. If they can make two more tournaments in a row they will tie North Carolina for the longest ever. My NBA teams seem to always revolve around teams that have Arizona Alumni on their rosters. This year started with Arizona (my law school alma mater) playing Northern Arizona (undergraduate school) - great game played by both although Arizona came away with the strong win. Looking forward to a great year.

A

Anonymous

flyor64 said:
I still vividly remember when my lowly alma mater took down the mighty UNC Tarheels in the first round...and we're like div 1-AAAAA or something :D

That was 10 years ago though...we haven't done much since :eek:

A Weber State grad I see...I hate you still :D

A

Anonymous

aarnold517 said:
TFF and Bala you guys may have a better rivalry down in north carolina (the best rivalry and series in the country IMO) and you may have passion for college hoops, but you cant come anywhere close to the insanity that is Kentucky Wildcats basketball...no way do your fans live and die by each game like UK fans do (not a good thing mind you)...still one of my dreams before i die would be to watch a UNC-Duke game at cameron indoor, by far the best gym to watch a game in in the country

oh and just saw this article on espn.com, would be awesome if it ever actually happened:
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=4667259

You have obviously never lived here.

Secondly, if by "insanity" you mean hiring a cancer like Calipari, then yes, you are right. I mean that in the nicest way.:D

Thoughtforfood said:
You have obviously never lived here.

Secondly, if by "insanity" you mean hiring a cancer like Calipari, then yes, you are right. I mean that in the nicest way.:D

haha dont ruin it for us...so there's a good chance we may be on probation in a few years, at this point all uk fans are just happy that our coach does not look like he was at a bar before the game like last year

Jul 23, 2009
Visit site
This is the best NFL season I've seen in a while. Any of about 6 teams could win the Super Bowl this year. Still the most overhyped and disappointing championship in sports on a game by game basis.

College football, I just don't get the hype. Admittedly I'm ignorant because I don't follow it closely. I prefer to wait until they reach physical maturity and get longer criminal records, so I watch the pros instead.

NBA. Now this used to be an exciting game to watch. I agree with whoever wrote that it is all about the stars now instead of the game. Something is wrong with this league. For once I agree with the people who say the college game is better. No idea who'll win this year... maybe the Cavaliers.

NHL. Seeing as there's a hockey thread I'll just say that there has never been more hugely-skilled young talent in the game, maybe in any game, at the same time. A very exciting time to be a fan. Alexander Ovechkin is by far the most entertaining athlete in team sports right now. Unbelievable.

Football w/o hands aka soccer. Don't follow it closely enough to comment, but the depth of talent in this game is incredible. Too bad the depth of egos is even greater. This game is being ruined by the "me first" attitude. And don't get me started on the diving and fake injuries. What an embarrassment to the game.

Baseball. I still don't get the point, but it is great to watch live. Should be banned from television.

CFL. A shout to 3 down football. Way faster and more exciting than the US game, but the best athletes with the longest criminal records play in the NFL.

you may not ban baseball from tv, thanks. i am a dodgers and angels fan.
as far as nfl. having grown up in dallas, texas, and...my dad and i went to the
first and all other dallas cowboys games until we moverd to california. i like
'them cowboys'. this is a very good nfl season for sure. the saints, colts...
so many real good teams. and some who show potential. the playoffs should be
fun.
not real excited about basketball yet. go lakers. still miss chick hearn.
college sports are not the pinnacle so, so yeah i like the pros more.

A

Anonymous

this was worth staying up till 3.30am for..

14-6 final quarter.. things going along nicely...

dimspace said:
this was worth staying up till 3.30am for..

14-6 final quarter.. things going along nicely...

i'm also a huge dolphins fan dim (ever since the glory days of marino) and i got to say i thought ronnie brown's injury could be devastating for the team. what i didn't count on was ricky williams finding his '02 form and running like a man possessed

A

Anonymous

aarnold517 said:
i'm also a huge dolphins fan dim (ever since the glory days of marino) and i got to say i thought ronnie brown's injury could be devastating for the team. what i didn't count on was ricky williams finding his '02 form and running like a man possessed

how many centers did we go through last night.. :eek:

good match last night, defence where awesome, was a bit scared late in the fourth when they went hurry up, but all good.. keeps playoff hopes alive, even if we dont really have much of a chance beyond that...

fins fan since 82.. will get out there and see them one day..

Jul 23, 2009
Visit site
Nice start of the season for Arizona with a blow out against Rice (of course the blow out occurred in the first ten minutes and the last five - the middle of the game seemed to be much more in favor of Rice).