• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

For News: Who will win the TDU?

Page 4 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
Swede1 said:
Heinrich Haussler because he can get time bonuses in the sprints, and then not lose too much time on Willunga. Also, he appears to be in good shape.
Good choice...he was climbing well on the Bunningyong circuit.

just some guy said:
Have a feeling Ballan is their Guy
Yeah, if he does well on Stirling which could now suit him more Wilunga maybe hard enough for a top 5 finish in the gc. For Wilunga stage I do believe matthias Frank could be a dark horse if he has some decent form. We'll see.
Michielveedeebee said:
Van Avermaet might show his worth as well. If he's willing to mix himself in the sprints he could get some boniseconds, and he's become very strong on the hills as well.
The Stirling stage looks good for him considering they have added 1.5 extra circuits which could eliminate some of the other sprinters.
*G*K*S* said:
Adam Blythe

Say what? I think they will be working for him in the sprints.

Jun 22, 2009
Visit site
Unless Frank has been training pretty hard he wont win. He has rarely contested for victories, I think in pre-season the guys with heavy training or more naturally talented (i.e. valv) will contend. Why Frank would target TDU as a goal is beyond me.

anyway, I'm confident he wont feature.

interetsed to see how blythe goes in the sprints tho.

Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
Timmy-loves-Rabo said:
Unless Frank has been training pretty hard he wont win. He has rarely contested for victories, I think in pre-season the guys with heavy training or more naturally talented (i.e. valv) will contend. Why Frank would target TDU as a goal is beyond me.

anyway, I'm confident he wont feature.

interetsed to see how blythe goes in the sprints tho.

Yes, I basically said that about Frank. I do hope he has come with decent form because he could do well on Wilunga but I don't really have large expectations for him.

Regarding his pure abilities and his excellent form in autumn, Paolini should be able to contend for the win - but I doubt he's well enough prepared for it and the recently posted pictures of him (at Katushas facebook page) do not really make me feel comfortable with this pick as well

so I go for Ciolek

Sergey® said:
Juan Jose Cobo in his first race for Movistar.

Valverde will work for him in return for services later in the season!

if I remember correctly that Rojas is in the Movistar squad, I reckon he'll take it. Good enough to place well in the sprints if not pick up a stage, and he's no slouch on the hills so shouldn't get dropped there - especially if your two mates above help him out...

May 21, 2010
Visit site
Ritchie Porte for the win, smarting after Nats and bonus seconds on flats will get shared around so only needs one good ride on Willunga Hill stage

Archibald said:
if I remember correctly that Rojas is in the Movistar squad, I reckon he'll take it. Good enough to place well in the sprints if not pick up a stage, and he's no slouch on the hills so shouldn't get dropped there - especially if your two mates above help him out...
Another realistic contender, has made the podium before too (2010 I think).

With Valverde needing race Km's he'll probably be the guy.

Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
Hot weather for the upcoming week

Sunday: 30oC, Sunny
Tuesday: 37oC, Shower or two developing
Wednesday: 30oC, Morning showers
Thursday: 31oC, Sunny
Friday: 33oC, Mostly Sunny
Saturday: 33oC, Mostly Sunny

Hot week ahead!

Jun 7, 2011
Visit site
Simon Gerrans says a break might win, even though that hasn't happened in previous years
He said:
"I also wouldn't be surprised to see a break or two get away. That hasn't been the case in the more recent years of the race, but I think there is definetely more opportunity for that this year."

Hmmm didn't Cameron Meyer win last year from a break last year..

May 27, 2010
Visit site
Im not sure how strong Ballan will be, GVA should be stronger and their team leader. As far as I know this race suits him well. Hope BMC can get their first win in the first race of the season to kickstart their big season with gilbert, evans, thor and GVA!

Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
The team is solely riding for gc. Manuel Quinziato said that Blythe is a bit too young to be putting a full team behind to go up against Greipel so they will be working for GVA and Ballan for the GC.. I must say that Ballan and GVA look really skinny.

May 27, 2010
Visit site
auscyclefan94 said:
The team is solely riding for gc. Manuel Quinziato said that Blythe is a bit too young to be putting a full team behind to go up against Greipel so they will be working for GVA and Ballan for the GC.. I must say that Ballan and GVA look really skinny.

That might be good, GVA and Ballan will be stronger in the hills. I wonder if GVA can sprint anymore.