• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Fork sizing

Jun 22, 2009
Visit site
I understand that when selecting a fork for a given frame there are 2 considerations: wheel/rim diameter (e.g. 700mm for a road frame) and the headset´s diameter (e.g.1 inch). Why isn´t the frame´s size taken into consideration? Is it that the bottom part of the headtube is always in the same position because it´s lenght compensates for the different geometry?

Mar 11, 2009
Visit site
Mike from BA said:
I understand that when selecting a fork for a given frame there are 2 considerations: wheel/rim diameter (e.g. 700mm for a road frame) and the headset´s diameter (e.g.1 inch). Why isn´t the frame´s size taken into consideration? Is it that the bottom part of the headtube is always in the same position because it´s lenght compensates for the different geometry?

yes, the fork crown to front axle distance is generally always the same for any size 700c bicycle. See the above post about rake and trail, also take in consideration threadless or threaded and fork steerer length.

Mar 15, 2009
www.frameforum.org
Beg to differ...
Most manufacturers have their own fork length dimensions, and most frame layouts are altered when you move from one make to another. Different frame styles also mean different lengths, even though the wheel size is the same.

Fork length, i.e. the distance from fork crown top to the center of the dropout/axle is a very important dimension. If replacing a fork with another and there is a difference, then all of the frame angles will alter as a result.
As the head tube angle is part of the equation when determining trail and 'handling', any change will result in different characteristics. This may also occur if one fork has been built for a particular lower headset stack which differs from that of the replacement fork.

BikeCAD is a handy tool for determining whether or not the difference will be marked or negligible. Find a free-to-use version at Bikeforest.com or in the frameforum.org Club section.

Jun 22, 2009
Visit site
Awesome!

Thanks frameforum, I have noticed that fork lenght varies +/- 1 inch depending on the manufacturer, so the bike´s angle should be affected. I´ll study your links during the weekend and hope to fully understand this very ineteresting matter.

TRENDING THREADS