• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Former mechanic Anderson predicts trouble ahead for Armstrong

Page 2 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Oct 25, 2010
Visit site
MarkvW said:
Fraudulent concealment might toll the SOL in a civil case, but I'm not sure it would apply in a criminal one.

I don't think it would either. In civil law, the SOL usually refers to the period of time once the fraud has actually been discovered by the plaintiff. But in criminal law, if you're outta bounds, you're outta bounds. As efficient as we Americans are at locking-up our population, we don't do it outside of the SOL unless law removed the SOL before they were charged.

Oct 25, 2010
Visit site
Darryl Webster said:
http://www.mcacp.org/issue5.html

Anyone care to explain in laymans terms what that might mean ?

It means you've only got your Grand Jury for so many weeks/months. You need to keep their attention but you've still got many others to indict. You can't possibly expect them to indict everyone on one day, so you do them one at a time and work til finished. If you publicize the earlier indictments, those yet to be called-in will start shredding evidence, etc. Because they'll know they're going to be next.

So if you've already got one in the can (an indictment), you place it under court seal until you can finish the job with all of the others. When you're finished, you call a press conference and unveil the indictments as a huge package. Those indicted will have been arrested by federal agents in the pre-dawn hours and booked, fingerprinted, mug-shots, etc.

When it hits, it'll hit BIG.

Jun 12, 2010
Visit site
BotanyBay said:
It means you've only got your Grand Jury for so many weeks/months. You need to keep their attention but you've still got many others to indict. You can't possibly expect them to indict everyone on one day, so you do them one at a time and work til finished. If you publicize the earlier indictments, those yet to be called-in will start shredding evidence, etc. Because they'll know they're going to be next.

So if you've already got one in the can (an indictment), you place it under court seal until you can finish the job with all of the others. When you're finished, you call a press conference and unveil the indictments as a huge package. Those indicted will have been arrested by federal agents in the pre-dawn hours and booked, fingerprinted, mug-shots, etc.

When it hits, it'll hit BIG.

Cheers Botany...so if this comes to pass expect a meltdown on the forum! :D

Oct 25, 2010
Visit site
Darryl Webster said:
Cheers Botany...so if this comes to pass expect a meltdown on the forum! :D

It'll be a "Holy Crap, Marie!" day.

untiny

jimmypop

BANNED
Jul 16, 2010
Visit site
I didn't think about this at first, but the more I read, the more I think Armstrong and others may actually be talking about avoiding prison by the time indictments are handed down.

Jun 19, 2009
Visit site
BotanyBay said:
I don't think it would either. In civil law, the SOL usually refers to the period of time once the fraud has actually been discovered by the plaintiff. But in criminal law, if you're outta bounds, you're outta bounds. As efficient as we Americans are at locking-up our population, we don't do it outside of the SOL unless law removed the SOL before they were charged.
Botany is right. The SOL was for a civil matter. When it comes to criminal charges related to fraud and, er....tax evasion and RICO then it's "Release the hounds!".

Jul 15, 2009
Visit site
Berzin said:
This has been said about many, many people involved who made statements against Armstrong.

After a while it becomes obvious that the problem isn't with everyone else.

It's true that success has many enemies, but maybe you should consider how Armstrong's success was garnered that is the cause of all this vitriol.

Lance has picked up alot of haters along the way. It would be interesting to see if any other sportsperson in history has the same number. Please feel free to add to my list of disgruntled ex-employees, jealous ex-teamates and money grabbing journos.

1. Floyd Landis,
2. David Walsh,
3. Paul Kimmage,
4. Filippo Simeoni,
5. Christophe Bassons,
6. Betsy Andreu,
7. Frankie Andreu,
8. Mike Anderson,
9. Steven Swart,
10. Jeff Novitsky,
11. Emma O'Reilly,
12. Pierre Ballister,
13. L'Equipe Newspaper,
14. Selena Roberts, David Epstein & Sports Illustrated,
15. Pierre Bordry and The French Anti-Doping Authority (AFLD),
16. SCA Promotions,
17. The Wall Street Journal?
18. MrNikbagTV,
19. Greg Lemond,
20. Michael Ashenden.

That's a lot of haters!

Oct 25, 2010
Visit site
petethedrummer said:
Lance has picked up alot of haters along the way. It would be interesting to see if any other sportsperson in history has the same number. Please feel free to add to my list of disgruntled ex-employees, jealous ex-teamates and money grabbing journos.

1. Floyd Landis,
2. David Walsh,
3. Paul Kimmage,
4. Filippo Simeoni,
5. Christophe Bassons,
6. Betsy Andreu,
7. Frankie Andreu,
8. Mike Anderson,
9. Steven Swart,
10. Jeff Novitsky,
11. Emma O'Reilly,
12. Pierre Ballister,
13. L'Equipe Newspaper,
16. SCA Promotions,
18. MrNikbagTV,
19. Greg Lemond,
20. Michael Ashenden.

That's a lot of haters!

CD_50,000,000%20Elvis%20Fans%20Can%27t%20Be%20Wrong_FTD_20070406.jpg

He gets the sack so he takes Lance to court and makes a few allegations. Sounds like an axe to grind to me.

Certainly he is in no position to be offering opinions on how Novitzky is going to fare.

"He doesn't undertake things he isn't going to win. Those guys have a ridiculously high ratio of convictions – they don't undertake superfluous investigations and I don't think this is going to be a good outcome if you're Lance Armstrong."

What's this opinion worth? Zip! So now the NZ mechanic is also an expert on the abilities FDA agents? I would have thought the quality of evidence Novitzky has is the key. Something the mechanic cannot possibly be aware of.

Dec 21, 2010
Visit site
Polyarmour said:
He gets the sack so he takes Lance to court and makes a few allegations. Sounds like an axe to grind to me.

Certainly he is in no position to be offering opinions on how Novitzky is going to fare.

What's this opinion worth? Zip! So now the NZ mechanic is also an expert on the abilities FDA agents? I would have thought the quality of evidence Novitzky has is the key. Something the mechanic cannot possibly be aware of.

Wrong, to my understanding - Armstrong sued, Mike Anderson answered and counter-sued. Mike got an out-of-court settlement.

May 20, 2010
Visit site
Polyarmour said:

For the record, I was offering my opinion on Jeff Novitsky to an audience mostly unfamiliar with the investigation and the American legal system. I made no claim to be be an expert on either.
Secondly, I don't know you, and accordingly you have no earthly idea what I might actually know. Furthermore, you have demonstrated a complete lack of understanding of the legal proceedings that LA and I were party to.
Stick to what you know--whatever that may be. Or, add a few convolutions to that mass of jelly in your skull by reading more about the case. Then get back to me with your opinion. To fall back on the disgruntled employee with an axe to grind excuse is juvenile and completely illogical.
Of course, I'm more than happy to help you out with furthering your understanding of the case. Perhaps then you'll have a balanced view, since you clearly haven't bothered to find out what I have said under oath.

Kind regards,
Mike Anderson

May 5, 2009
Visit site
petethedrummer said:

1. Floyd Landis,
2. David Walsh,
3. Paul Kimmage,
4. Filippo Simeoni,
5. Christophe Bassons,
6. Betsy Andreu,
7. Frankie Andreu,
8. Mike Anderson,
9. Steven Swart,
10. Jeff Novitsky,
11. Emma O'Reilly,
12. Pierre Ballister,
13. L'Equipe Newspaper,
16. SCA Promotions,
18. MrNikbagTV,
19. Greg Lemond,
20. Michael Ashenden.

That's a lot of haters!

they're all just bitter :D

Polyarmour said:

You really are so clueless it's ridiculous. Do yourself a favour and read about Mike's case with Lance before making a fool of yourself on here with your ignorance. It's on public record if you can manage to wean yourself off of Lance's tweets for half an hour.

petethedrummer said:

1. Floyd Landis,
2. David Walsh,
3. Paul Kimmage,
4. Filippo Simeoni,
5. Christophe Bassons,
6. Betsy Andreu,
7. Frankie Andreu,
8. Mike Anderson,
9. Steven Swart,
10. Jeff Novitsky,
11. Emma O'Reilly,
12. Pierre Ballister,
13. L'Equipe Newspaper,
16. SCA Promotions,
18. MrNikbagTV,
19. Greg Lemond,
20. Michael Ashenden.

That's a lot of haters!

Antoine Vayer
"Lance Armstrong, averaging 54 km/h. I find that scandalous. That rhymes with nothing. It indirectly proves that he doped," said Vayer who is now an outspoken anti-doping critic."
http://autobus.cyclingnews.com/results/2000/oct00/oct25news.shtml

London Sunday Times
Jeremy Whittle (belatedly)
Linus Gerdemann (kind of)

May 26, 2010
Visit site
Sanitiser said:
What the world needs to see is Sheryl Crowe and the Olsen twin admit that they saw Lance dope. People always believe celebrities.

i bet Ms Crowe was glad that uni-ball wasn't working during their courtship...:rolleyes:

May 26, 2010
Visit site
BotanyBay said:
+1. They did a crappy job of hijacking that story. You'd think they might have bothered to call or email him themselves being that he's active on their forums each and every day. Also notice that no one put their name to the story.

Susan W, who wrote this?

it happens a lot on here....stories written very quickly with very little.:(

Dec 14, 2010
Visit site
Benotti69 said:
i bet Ms Crowe was glad that uni-ball wasn't working during their courtship...:rolleyes:

Ms. Crow seemed to make her opinions known quite well in some of the songs on her album "Detours" ('Now That You're Gone', 'Diamond Ring'). In case anyone accuses her of 'loving cancer', they should also listen to the song 'Make It Go Away (Radiation Song)' also in that album.

jimbob_in_co said:
Ms. Crow seemed to make her opinions known quite well in some of the songs on her album "Detours" ('Now That You're Gone', 'Diamond Ring'). Let's anyone accuse her of 'loving cancer'. they should also listen to the song 'Make It Go Away (Radiation Song)' also in that album.

I wonder what she thinks of all this.....

She dodged a bullet on that fella..... Lance told us she wanted babies and pressured him too much. It was all her fault.

jimbob_in_co said:
Ms. Crow seemed to make her opinions known quite well in some of the songs on her album "Detours" ('Now That You're Gone', 'Diamond Ring'). In case anyone accuses her of 'loving cancer', they should also listen to the song 'Make It Go Away (Radiation Song)' also in that album.

Ouch!

"Now That You're Gone"

Well I can see heaven
See it over the plain
If I start running now
I think I can make it
And never look back again

Your face is all around me
Your keys are in my hand
And everywhere I go
I'll try to remember
Exactly who I am