• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

forum total war.

Have any of you got Shogun 2???

I used to play online RTW ( went through a few clans ) then my old laptop stopped working and now on Gameranger it is not as good online ( though the server does not screw up as much ).

My favourites are Napoleon, RTW and Alexander in no particular order.

Oct 30, 2011
Visit site
Havetts said:
uhu.. first TW with naval battles! Was awesome, Im going to install it again :)

Ugh, I hated having to sim them. Once lost a really good general in a complete freak sim.

I remember that all my family members to begin with were absolutely hard as nails, but as the campaign wore one, they were mostly useless slobs. Remember this one guy I had, Kanmi "the Mad" Balaeres. 10* general, but with no management or influence, as he was so mental. Won a ridiculous number of battles, spending most of his life under siege by the Romans. Might have been what cracked him.

Mar 19, 2009
Visit site
Havetts said:
uhu.. first TW with naval battles! Was awesome, Im going to install it again :)

I liked how the smaller towns worked and grew most of all, and ship battles were not bad, shogun 2 is very good too but empire is the won I played most and will play again my usual mission is to invade britain and try and sell london to the eskimos :S

Jan 27, 2011
Visit site
palmerq said:
I liked how the smaller towns worked and grew most of all, and ship battles were not bad, shogun 2 is very good too but empire is the won I played most and will play again my usual mission is to invade britain and try and sell london to the eskimos :S

I always loved capturing Iceland and giving it to the Barbary States so they had another base to attack from and giving them all your naval technology once you had an alliance with them :D.

Mar 19, 2009
Visit site
Thats a good idea, I always forget about iceland... I just like to take scotland back from the british so obviously I need to put an end to the war so I invade london aswell but I dont want it so I give it away.

Feb 25, 2010
Visit site
greenedge said:
Have any of you got Shogun 2???

I used to play online RTW ( went through a few clans ) then my old laptop stopped working and now on Gameranger it is not as good online ( though the server does not screw up as much ).

My favourites are Napoleon, RTW and Alexander in no particular order.

I have Shogun 2 but it totally makes my computer overclock :p it started smelling burned at one time, so I stopped playing :p

It was pretty strange to play as the last one I did was Medieval 2.

Still had most fun with RTW though.

Feb 25, 2010
Visit site
Also did anyone find the most epic economic bug ever in RTW? :p just take the Greek Cities put a real strong army at the border and build only economical upgrades :p after a while you make millions and no matter how big your army becomes you will still make money :D

Aug 2, 2010
Visit site
Michielveedeebee said:
Also did anyone find the most epic economic bug ever in RTW? :p just take the Greek Cities put a real strong army at the border and build only economical upgrades :p after a while you make millions and no matter how big your army becomes you will still make money :D

it makes sense, since they control the most important part of the mediterrain(trades between them, pontus, macedonia, egypt, romans, thrace, etc) and you have the 7th wonder that gives you +50% of income. that's their advantage.. together with spartans :)

Whats everyones favourite factions ( not on campaign but mainly on custom/ multiplayer )?

Mine are the Romans of course but i also love the Scythians for their horses and Carthaginians/ Seleucids for the awesome combo of elephants, heavy/ light Cavalry and elephants.
Germania is the one i play as when i want to test myself.
Greece is good but if you avoid the Spartans/ armoured hoplites they seem inflexible/ too hard too protect archers and their cavalry is really bad. The Britains and Numidians are also quite bad

It's easy to win against not so good players if you're using a phalanx faction and they aren't (new players tend to play as Romans so they're screwed), and I never really got into any sort of competitive multiplayer, I only played on LAN against some friends, so phalanxes were key. Egypt, on top of being an anachronistic stew, was very good - the best bowmen (along with Cretan archers), great pikemen, decent cavalry for a very cheap price. Seleucids and Carthaginians were similarly flexible. Greeks and Macedonians were a bit worse, but they had the best phalanx units - although non-elite hoplites wouldn't be able to break through sarissa-armed pikemen.

Breaking a powerful phalanx with the Romans was beautiful, though.

I played Barbarian Invasion more, and my favourite factions there were the Goths (very well-rounded army) and the Eastern Romans.

Online seems to rely more on a combination of archers ( missiles ), Cavalry and infantry. If you are playing 2vs2 ( in big money battles it is best- usually just to have infantry and cavalry as the missiles do not take effect ).

I know Romans are easy to win with but they are the best faction ( and Romans vs Romans are very hard with Urbans vs Urbans ).

In BTW ( i liked the Sassinids, Huns and the Germanic factions ) as well but Alexander TW was great as well ( great cavalry- hypaspists ) if you were Macedon ( but in Campaign you had to be ).

Mar 19, 2009
Visit site
my favourite guys to go in empire are the dutchmen currently, I tried as the turks but they are too big for me at the start, and the dutch have only 3 provinces but one in each theatre which is very handy, bloody pirates are hijacking my trade routes though... first mission is to liberate scotland

TRENDING THREADS