• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Frankenstorm threatens to destroy America

Page 4 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Glenn_Wilson said:
I like your idea. They sure could use some old metro buses in NYC these days.:(

The storms was weak and still done all this damage. Somebody better get on the phone to President Obama and tell him to check that Hurricane switch to ensure it is in the OFF position. I think some republican must have sneaked in and turned it ON trying to make an a$$ out of the administration or something like that.

Did anyone catch CNN last evening? The people in Staten Island said they had not seen FEMA at all? Someone help me out....how many days since the storm hit? How many days to prepare?

The Federal government should increase the amount of money we give to FEMA considering what a great job they do of managing these disasters. :rolleyes:

Staten Island, like central Long Island, is part of New Jersey and beholden the Republican party. Christie should have brought it up with Obama. Or whoever flipped the switch forgot to give proper notice to the Island.

Oops

Jul 14, 2009
Visit site
This is the worst I have seen in my years in NYC. No gas anywhere. No power below 28th St. Most of big structures near the tip of lower Mahattan are flooded. I went to 55 Water and 20 Broad both have pump trucks working with @ 6 or 8 inch hoses with a stream of uninterrupted water. most of the buildings have 2 or 3 levels below ground. Standard and Poors looks really bad. the girls staying with me got a robo call from ConEd saying that there power will be possibly turned on Saturday @11 pm. All of lower NYC looks like a scene from Walking Dead.All 7-11s are not getting donut or burrito deliveries because the food prep factory is on Long Island, this is personally tragic. hee are bicycle traffic jams going over the Brooklyn and Manhattan bridges..

Dec 7, 2010
Visit site
fatandfast said:
This is the worst I have seen in my years in NYC. No gas anywhere. No power below 28th St. Most of big structures near the tip of lower Mahattan are flooded. I went to 55 Water and 20 Broad both have pump trucks working with @ 6 or 8 inch hoses with a stream of uninterrupted water. most of the buildings have 2 or 3 levels below ground. Standard and Poors looks really bad. the girls staying with me got a robo call from ConEd saying that there power will be possibly turned on Saturday @11 pm. All of lower NYC looks like a scene from Walking Dead.All 7-11s are not getting donut or burrito deliveries because the food prep factory is on Long Island, this is personally tragic. hee are bicycle traffic jams going over the Brooklyn and Manhattan bridges..

Sounds very bad. I wish there was something I could do.
I hope someone shows up to help out and get things set up for food, water and shelter.

Jul 14, 2009
Visit site
Glenn_Wilson said:
Sounds very bad. I wish there was something I could do.
I hope someone shows up to help out and get things set up for food, water and shelter.

Went out for a short ride met up w guy who lives in Dyker Hieghts,he grew up in Brooklyn,he told me that one of his friends lost his house in Breezy Point and another lost their house in Sea Gate. He said his pAl from BP asked if he had children's clothing because his children had nothing. I almost started crying as he explained the trek of riding his bike w a garbage bag full of clothes to his friend. lots of people lost everything to floods and fire along with fallen tree damage. Parts of Coney Island look like a war zone. Rode down 4th ave in Park Slope on the way back,hundreds of people waiting for a squirt of gas. Cars are lined up to the Gowanus to Union people sleeping in their cars while maintaining a spot in line to fill up at BP station.

My cable didn't even go out. The storm event was neighbors motorcycle got squished by a tree limb .i can't imagine what these people are doing w kids,no school for a week,no power,no subway, it's really bad. Prospect and Central Park are both closed while trees are inspected so broken or near broken branches don't fall on somebody. marathon is happening .

Dec 7, 2010
Visit site
Dec 7, 2010
Visit site
fatandfast said:
Went out for a short ride met up w guy who lives in Dyker Hieghts,he grew up in Brooklyn,he told me that one of his friends lost his house in Breezy Point and another lost their house in Sea Gate. He said his pAl from BP asked if he had children's clothing because his children had nothing. I almost started crying as he explained the trek of riding his bike w a garbage bag full of clothes to his friend. lots of people lost everything to floods and fire along with fallen tree damage. Parts of Coney Island look like a war zone. Rode down 4th ave in Park Slope on the way back,hundreds of people waiting for a squirt of gas. Cars are lined up to the Gowanus to Union people sleeping in their cars while maintaining a spot in line to fill up at BP station.

My cable didn't even go out. The storm event was neighbors motorcycle got squished by a tree limb .i can't imagine what these people are doing w kids,no school for a week,no power,no subway, it's really bad. Prospect and Central Park are both closed while trees are inspected so broken or near broken branches don't fall on somebody. marathon is happening .

Man this sounds so terrible. My thoughts and prayers.

For Hurricane Katrina it was personal because my mother / sister / aunts / uncles/ extended family lost everything homes etc. They were left with nothing. I was living in Houston and could do nothing for 24 hours while I tried to break through the road blocks and other obstacles. When I finally made it to their area I was the only person with food, water , gasoline , and 4 generators.

Jul 7, 2009
Visit site
Glenn_Wilson said:
Man this sounds so terrible. My thoughts and prayers.

For Hurricane Katrina it was personal because my mother / sister / aunts / uncles/ extended family lost everything homes etc. They were left with nothing. I was living in Houston and could do nothing for 24 hours while I tried to break through the road blocks and other obstacles. When I finally made it to their area I was the only person with food, water , gasoline , and 4 generators.

Good on ya for bringing what was in need.:)
It's sad that FEMA / government didn't put as much thought into what was needed as you did.

Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
Just read some comments about me.

VeloCity said:
Rupert Murdoch is Australian. 'nuff said. ;)
Rupert Murdoch employs many Australians and he has kept much of our local, state and national newspapers going strong.
Cobber said:
Yep, we have our crazies too, unfortunately.......
Crazies? You mean the some of the Left in Australia who make a point of making a mess with the economy and have no fiscal discipline whatsoever? Might want to look in your own backyard before you go pointing the finger, mate.

The Hitch said:
If i recall correctly, Billy Graham got his largest ever live audience for a preaching or whatever they call it in Melbourne. Tens of thousands more than he ever managed to pack in in New York or Texas.

So there seems to be some sort of US like conservative base down there.
Considering that Melbourne and the state of Victoria is considered as a Labor Party (centre-left) state, I would find it hard to believe that we would actually be a conservative base. Victoria is one of the most left wing states or territories in Australia. Queensland (Cobber's home state) would be regarded as the most conservative state in Australia.

BroDeal said:
Actually I am finding ACF's conversion to American style conservatism a source of great amusement, especially since he is safely ensconced down there in Australia where the people are protected by national health care, something that Romney has vowed to get rid of what little equivalent there is in the U.S.

American style conservatism? Hardly at all. I don't support the Republicans at all so I don't understand where you are coming from there.

Der Effe said:
Ahahah denying global warming? You must either have the brain size of an ant or have sex with Rupert Murdoch on a daily basis. Either way, you're never to be taken serious again.

Never denied Global warming. Now, who is the idiot? The guy who can't read clearly, being you. :rolleyes:

Glad they finally cancelled the race...
It should not have taken so long.

I'm thinking if the decision makers were those who had been affected and lost power, homes, supplies, etc that the cancellation would have happened the first day. :mad:

Sep 7, 2009
Visit site
mewmewmew13 said:

I'm thinking if the decision makers were those who had been affected and lost power, homes, supplies, etc that the cancellation would have happened the first day. :mad:

I agree-it should have been cancelled from the start. I'm not impressed with the NY mayor at all. I have been reading on Facebook that lots of the people who would have been running are now going to be volunteering instead, which is good.

mewmewmew13 said:

irongrl said:
I agree-it should have been cancelled from the start. I'm not impressed with the NY mayor at all. I have been reading on Facebook that lots of the people who would have been running are now going to be volunteering instead, which is good.
excellent article on the cancellation by Bonnie Ford. i'd been following her tweets and was just appalled that they were still considering it.

i mean, hundreds (thousands?) of volunteers handing out water to runners when there were still people who had none to drink irl???

thank you for sharing the reality, fatandfast and Glenn (from Katrina). it's not always easy to find the real stories because the press doesn't deem them sexy enough. out of sight, out of mind... so sad.

May 9, 2009
Visit site
irongrl said:

Where I live in Virginia, we've had a few scrapes with hurricanes, so I can completely empathize with what those people are going through. When Isabel came through in September 2003, we were without power and water for about four days. More recently, we've had Irene, the derecho, and now Sandy, which only hit us with a glancing blow but still caused some damage. During these times, it's frustrating, but most of us realize that the crews are working as hard as they can and we get by the best we can and try to remain optimistic about it. Bloomberg's insistence that the marathon go forward just rubbed salt into the wound and was panned by everyone. Seems like he needs to get out and walk the boroughs and get in touch with people dealing with this mess.

TRENDING THREADS