• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Frankenstorm threatens to destroy America

Page 2 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Nov 11, 2011
Visit site
We had a lot of wind, not so much rain here in Pa. Some trees down and a shutter blew off the house. The weather was fairly dry here prior to the storm. If the ground had been more saturated, the flooding would have been worse and there probably would be more trees down.

Bala Verde said:
original.gif

Nice to see that Michael phelps still gets his feet wet every once in a while.

Afrank said:
Who would've thought we would see sharks coming inland
Stay safe to everyone on the east coast.
602618_433684226691967_151694183_n.jpg

]

Wtf. I though deep sea creatures would never come that close to land.

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
The Hitch said:
Nice to see that Michael phelps still gets his feet wet every once in a while.

Phelps, van den Hoogenband, and Thorpe...

This was a little scarier than that seamonster AKA shark:

Sandy slows US nuclear plants, oldest declares alert

Hurricane Sandy slowed or shut a half-dozen U.S. nuclear power plants, while the nation's oldest facility declared a rare "alert" after the record storm surge pushed flood waters high enough to endanger a key cooling system.

Despite the alert -- which is a serious but not catastrophic event that signals a "potential substantial degradation in the level of safety" -- the U.S. nuclear industry was broadly seen having passed the test. About a dozen alerts have been issued in the past four years, according to NRC press releases.

NJ seems to have been hit hardest, lots of power outages, floddings and whatnot, and NY(C) has a lot of water damage if you go by the pictures.

Estimated cost 20B...? Ouch.

Jun 22, 2009
Visit site
My lady friend in NE Md. lucked out, just a few flickers but no power loss. Her sister-in-law's three miles away is down, however. Sometimes, some people get lucky.:)

And others don't - I know two people whose holiday cottages on the Jersey shore are history....

Dec 7, 2010
Visit site
auscyclefan94 said:
The storm in Queensland last year was bigger than Katrina I think.

Surely some stupid Green will come out and say before the storm that 'Global warming is causing these storms' and if the storm is not as bad as expected, they will say, 'it is only natural variation'....Green logic.:rolleyes: :D

George W. Bush turned off the Hurricane and the global warming switch when he left the white house.

Most of the storms in the Pacific end up being much larger than Atlantic storms. Warmer water and such. You guys in Australia take a beating from the things much more than the USA.

These Green logic never ceases to amaze me.

The problem with "Green Logic" is that it's rooted in science. Or purports to be. But it creates theories that are not pressed to the same standards as accepted scientific theories. Hence, some green speculation may be true, but are often based on junk science and presented as fact. As such, much of this green logic actually discredits it's cause in the process. Aristotle might have called a lot of these logic theories false-syllogisms.

Went out today to look at damage. Not a whole lot. Mostly a bunch of flooding with plenty of branches down. Leaves nearly all gone from trees. A local small river is very high.

Attachments

• Soccer.jpg
    Soccer.jpg
    82.3 KB · Views: 2,802
Dec 7, 2010
Visit site
gobuck said:
the head in the sand people never cease to amaze me.

I know what you mean man.

They are having a Recycling / Green initiative here at work.

They are collecting all the PET bottles / aluminum cans. They put them into these big blue bags. I have been picking up those blue bags full of cans and plastic then dumping them into the little creek next to the office. It is heavily wooded so you cant see them until the current from the creek washes them down stream.
Also they are trying to make everyone cut back on consumables by putting in real dishes and silverware. Make us use the dishwasher or something like that. I decided that the dishes and silverware were substandard stuff that needed to be thrown away.
So far this Recycling and Green stuff is working out quite well here at the office.

Dec 7, 2010
Visit site
Alpe d'Huez said:
The problem with "Green Logic" is that it's rooted in science. Or purports to be. But it creates theories that are not pressed to the same standards as accepted scientific theories. Hence, some green speculation may be true, but are often based on junk science and presented as fact. As such, much of this green logic actually discredits it's cause in the process. Aristotle might have called a lot of these logic theories false-syllogisms.

Went out today to look at damage. Not a whole lot. Mostly a bunch of flooding with plenty of branches down. Leaves nearly all gone from trees. A local small river is very high.

Glad to hear that you made it through the storm without to much trouble.

My thoughts are with everyone who did not make it out so good.

Stay safe ...Alpe. (I thought you lived out west?)

My flights into New York were canceled. So my great plans for NYC this coming weekend that I made a month ago have now been blasted. But I could have been there and now be stuck without electricity in a Hotel room.

Glenn_Wilson said:
They are having a Recycling / Green initiative here at work....They are collecting all the PET bottles / aluminum cans. They put them into these big blue bags.
You need to move to Portland, Oregon. The city where they stopped picking up trash every week and gave you a compost bin that's hauled away every week instead. Trash was only collected twice a month. It didn't matter if you didn't want to participate, or will willing to pay more, it was mandatory. (And people there wondered why I voted for a lot of Republicans). Still love the city, but...

Yes, moved from OR to NE. A different shade of political blue.

Jul 4, 2009
Visit site
Cobber said:
Well, the entire scientific community disagrees with you. But you probably know best.....

...except of course that part of the scientific community that also thinks that the connection between cigarettes and cancer is just a theory and has really absolutely ever been proven ...

Cheers

blutto

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site
Im guessing my apartment complex and our office got ransacked, when I get back ill post some pictures.

As much as people want to say this isn't a big storm, it is still unprecedented for South Jersey Shore.

Alpe d'Huez said:
You need to move to Portland, Oregon. The city where they stopped picking up trash every week and gave you a compost bin that's hauled away every week instead. Trash was only collected twice a month. It didn't matter if you didn't want to participate, or will willing to pay more, it was mandatory. (And people there wondered why I voted for a lot of Republicans). Still love the city, but...

Yes, moved from OR to NE. A different shade of political blue.

Wow, Alpe, are you in Omaha or Lincoln now? Huge change!:)

Sep 29, 2012
Visit site
nvpacchi said:
Im guessing my apartment complex and our office got ransacked, when I get back ill post some pictures.

As much as people want to say this isn't a big storm, it is still unprecedented for South Jersey Shore.

Anyone who is saying this isn't a big storm is frankly an insensitive idiot.

There are approximately 20 people dead. The are in excess of 6 million living without power, there is an entire neighbourhood in Queens, NY that burnt in spite of the driving rain. An entire town in New Jersey is under sand.

The fact that one particular geographical area did not get destroyed by some fluke of nature does not change the fact that this has been, and continues to be, a massive and destructive storm.

If people don't believe that, they should tell the family often those who died.

TRENDING THREADS