• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Freibe as JV's Fabiani

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site
What is it with Daniel Freibe? He seems to have become the official propagandist for JV's election campaign.

Doesn't mind continuing to dirty the name of Lowe without a shred of evidence in order to make his client look good. Talk about Fabiani.

Why doesn't he ask his boss to produce his oh so ethical medical referral policy that he sacked White with?

Pity cycling 'journalists' can't move beyond being publicists for the 'industry'.

No wonder Kimmage told Floyd to stay away from CN.

Feb 8, 2011
Visit site
I had been thinking that Fabiani had been working for JV for a while. You know the perception/reality thing they have got going. Seems to work for those who want to suck at the Argyle teet.

Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
blackcat said:
What is it with Daniel Freibe? He seems to have become the official propagandist for JV's election campaign.

Doesn't mind continuing to dirty the name of Lowe without a shred of evidence in order to make his client look good. Talk about Fabiani.

Why doesn't he ask his boss to produce his oh so ethical medical referral policy that he sacked White with?

Pity cycling 'journalists' can't move beyond being publicists for the 'industry'.

Friebe is a garbage journalist. not because of the cuddles nicname but because his pieces are so hypocritical and his opnions are very much based on who are his favourites!

Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
blackcat said:
Yes Friebe is as much garbage and as much of a hypocrite as Anthony Tan and his promotion for Mike 'feel the rush' Turtur

You mean Mike "feel the rush and hear the hush" Tutur! I tolerate Tan but can not tolerate Friebe so donn't read anything that he writes.

Dr. Maserati

BANNED
Jun 19, 2009
Visit site
blackcat said:

Is Freibe actually hired by JV in some role - or have you taken 'poetic licence' with your comments?

As for Lowe - I am unsure of what happened but at best he appears to have been badly advised and being quiet does not serve him well.

There are 3 questions and the ball is back in Lowes (and Hardies) hands now- What tests were done at Del Morals?
Who in Garmin knew they were there and did they know what was going on?
Why is there no comment to JVs (very public) accusation of looking for $500,000?

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site
blackcat said:

good post blackcat, could not agree more.
Tack meta channel o' Hogster

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site
patience my son Ferrari.

Metaphor is an ampoule of epo. Stimulate one's retics, and the crit rises for a month.

You have to wait the month to see how the results will play out. The pertinent question is, who is taking that ampoule no?

Who has been spinning like a weaver in Biela?

Dr. Maserati

BANNED
Jun 19, 2009
Visit site
blackcat said:
patience my son Ferrari.

Metaphor is an ampoule of epo. Stimulate one's retics, and the crit rises for a month.

You have to wait the month to see how the results will play out. The pertinent question is, who is taking that ampoule no?

Who has been spinning like a weaver in Biela?
Blackcat - don't go all Daotec on me - you are the one to bring it up. Is Friebe working for or with JV in any way?
Because if not - then saying Friebe works for JV is little better than including Lowes name in his opinion piece.

I don't trust JV after the White/DelMoral link but why has Lowe kept quiet after being publically accused of blackmail.

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site
Maserati you Colaradan homie boy, to answer your questions:

How many tests happened? Only Lowe, Steffen and Vaughters know.

And there was a rebuttal by Lowe and Hardie about JV's Fabiani piece about blackmail.

Just coz you dint read it on first here on CN dont mean it dint happen my boi.

Betta question is where is JV's policy? Or will that be set out in the next press release only leaving us to question whether it makes sense in the light of the last one?.

And there was a rebuttal by Lowe and Hardie about JV's Fabiani piece about blackmail.

Dr. Maserati

BANNED
Jun 19, 2009
Visit site
blackcat said:

Betta question is where is JV's policy? Or will that be set out in the next press release only leaving us to question whether it makes sense in the light of the last one?.

All good questions - but why is it you have not answered mine? Is Friebe working for JV or not? He either is or he isn't.

No doubt JVs piece was self serving and it did not answer some key questions and shows that he is not in a postion to claim that the team is squeaky clean. JVs "policy" is in the bin - we know that.

Do you have a link to Hardies or Lowes rebuttal to the $500,000 claim?

Feb 8, 2011
Visit site
http://www.sbs.com.au/cyclingcentral/news/20356/Hardie-rejects-Slipstream-claims

pretty clear - they don't go into deatil but they reject the allegations - all of them. I think we should watch this space as JV has obviously been playing fast and loose with the truth and it is the truth that will set him free - or has he dug himself such a deep hole that even the truth won't save him now?
As for Freibe I dont think blackcat was saying he was being paid but that Freibe was doing JV's durty work for him. Journos in cycling get pay back in many different ways ... access for one ....

Dr. Maserati

BANNED
Jun 19, 2009
Visit site
pata negra said:
http://www.sbs.com.au/cyclingcentral/news/20356/Hardie-rejects-Slipstream-claims

pretty clear - they don't go into deatil but they reject the allegations - all of them. I think we should watch this space as JV has obviously been playing fast and loose with the truth and it is the truth that will set him free - or has he dug himself such a deep hole that even the truth won't save him now?
As for Freibe I dont think blackcat was saying he was being paid but that Freibe was doing JV's durty work for him. Journos in cycling get pay back in many different ways ... access for one ....

Pretty clear? I had already read that and I would call it pretty vague - these are the quotes from Hardie:
Advisor Martin Hardie, a Deaking University academic who ran an anti-doping conference at the 2010 road world championships in Geelong, said he would make a further statement after talks with Slipstream Sports.

“We note the material in the press regarding Trent Lowe,” the statement read.

“We note that this material is factually inaccurate and we reject the allegations made.

“We look forward to resolving these issues as soon as possible without any further damage being done to cycling and people’s careers and reputations.”

The last line is quite revealing - MH says they "look forward to resolving these issues" .... then why not just release the correspondence with JV and show that no demand was made for $500,000? As you say, "the truth would set him free".

It looks like MH & TL want to do a private deal - which would mean that JV releasing the $500k statement was a clever way of getting the price down.

Dr. Maserati

BANNED
Jun 19, 2009
Visit site
pata negra said:

As for Friebe - well Blackcat said JV was Freibes "client", which would make a murky situation murkier - but it appears to be a gross exaggeration.

More importantly - lets look at Friebes comment from the Ricco piece that appears to cause offence:
What prompts these conclusions? Well, you don't have to look hard for worrying signs in cycling at the moment. Just open your eyes and ears. Whether it's Oscar Pereiro insisting he "never had a problem with doping", or Astana boss Giuseppe Martinelli saying he thinks Alberto Contador is innocent because he was "very careful about that kind of thing" (what exactly? Not taking clenbuterol?), or several others you care to mention referring to riders having "made mistakes" as opposed to flat out doped or cheated, familiar alarm bells are beginning to go tring-a-ling. Add to that a Floyd Landis, a Trent Lowe, a Luis del Moral and now a Riccardo Riccò and you have the recipe for a broth last on the menu in 2006 and before that in 1998.

If JV is being untruthful - as you & Bkcat appear to suggest - then logic would mean that Lowe was being doped, which means that Lowes name deserves to be mentioned.

If Freibe is some sort of paid hand (even for access) for JV or Garmin, then surely he would not even name Lowe as highlighting this implicates JV & Garmin as they were the ones to send TL to del Moral.

Jul 29, 2010
Visit site
pata negra said:
"JV has obviously been playing fast and loose with the truth and it is the truth that will set him free...?"

Yes and no. The 'truth' may set you free, but JV hasn't been free since his days at TIAA-CREF and later when he was given permission to use Doug Ellis' personal checkbook at Slipstream...

He's now in the big leagues and is slave to the BIG MONEY. Garmin gives him a $10M firecracker each year and says, "Be careful not to blow your fingers off"... Expecting the truth from JV is akin to expecting transparency from Mr. Riis or any other big-money director nowadays.

Apr 20, 2009
Visit site
NashbarShorts said:
Yes and no. The 'truth' may set you free, but JV hasn't been free since his days at TIAA-CREF and later when he was given permission to use Doug Ellis' personal checkbook at Slipstream...

He's now in the big leagues and is slave to the BIG MONEY. Garmin gives him a $10M firecracker each year and says, "Be careful not to blow your fingers off"... Expecting the truth from JV is akin to expecting transparency from Mr. Riis or any other big-money director nowadays.

Couple of thoughts -

1. If T. Lowe really did try to extract money from the team by threatening damage by releasing the email there could be legal implications to him talking (was what he did illegal? does it constitute extortion?)

2. Businesses are under no obligation to air their dirty laundry publicly. in this case, they were threatened with a PR debacle and so they choose to release the very thing they were threatened with. the actual threat may have been worse than what was published in the media to allow the people involved to save face.

3. Matt White seems to have corroborated the Slipstream story. So, you can either accept that as truth, or you can craft some other alternate truth based on conjecture.

All that said, while it was somewhat momentarily exciting, this kind of stuff happens in business all the time. High level managers get fired all the time and you never really know, for certain, if the stated reasons (I just want to spend more time with my family) are true or not.

TRENDING THREADS