• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

freire, our god.

Page 2 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
El Pistolero said:
Don't you want the wearer of the rainbow jersey to do the jersey honor by winning a couple of races?

I dont quite understand why you are asking that question.

I assume you misunderstood the bit where i said i like someone else to win the worlds everytime.

What i mean is a year in the rainbow is a tremendous honour. There are plenty of people in the peloton that deserve it. Considering how much blood sweat and tears every rider in the peloton puts into their job day after day after day I would like as many riders to be able to enjoy a year in the stripes as possible

As such once someone has had their turn and has those memories for life, i want someone else to get the experience.

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site
The Hitch said:
I dont quite understand why you are asking that question.

I assume you misunderstood the bit where i said i like someone else to win the worlds everytime.

What i mean is a year in the rainbow is a tremendous honour. There are plenty of people in the peloton that deserve it. Considering how much blood sweat and tears every rider in the peloton puts into their job day after day after day I would like as many riders to be able to enjoy a year in the stripes as possible

As such once someone has had their turn and has those memories for life, i want someone else to get the experience.

Makes sense, although I don't think every cyclist deserves the rainbows, but that was already discussed for ages when Cav won last year. :D

I wish he would have got the win this morning as soon as i saw his attack.

I hope he will stay in cycling if he wins the WC ( he definitely could based on his performance- just needs to sprint/ let the other Spanish riders attack like mad on the Cauberg ). Actually i hope he will even if he does not.

c&cfan said:
if this race and the one before it aren't a sign of huge motivation and pure love about this sport, i don't know what is.

He seems incredibly motivated indeed. Last wednesday in the Brabantse Pijl where he decided to drop everyone for a 2nd placing and yesterday with an incredible perfomance which he almost pulled off.
I don't think there were many people that didn't cheer for Oscar yesterday.

Love the guy. I allready said this on wednesday, but since I've been a real cyclingfan instead of an July cyclingfan my respect for Oscar is through the roof. Special breed.

If your just an July cycling fan you wouldn't know better then him being an over the top sprinter who can't do it anymore.

The Hitch said:
Oh yeah, who else finds it funny that after 8 year at rabo he (it seems) never learnt their language.

I'm not sure, but I think that Rabo demands riders to learn english. Dutch would be nice, but not not neccesary.
Allthough in an Sanchez interview earlier this year I thought he said he was learning dutch as well.

May 2, 2011
Visit site
I think his main motivation this year is sticking it to Rabobank, what was that all about ? I guess in every race he competes in, they (Rabo) are thinking: "please don't win, please don't win!" considering the results they had till now.
Would love if he wins the worlds but I think that Spain will go all for Valv-piti.(the prodigal son... or not)

Jan 22, 2011
Visit site
Der Effe said:
Incredible man, incredible cyclist.

Too bad he rides for a team that doesn't care about human rights and endorses exploitation.

Post of the day.... Wait, I stand corrected, post of the week here

El Pistolero said:
Oh yes, I see. If he does win, he'll be a legend forever though.

I think Freire's already going to go down as an all-time legend anyway, but yes, outdoing Binda, Merckx and van Steenbergen for rainbows would be an achievement that would guarantee the status.

Even ignoring the three Worlds wins, he has an enviable palmarès, but with them he's an absolute legend of the era.

TRENDING THREADS