• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

French hope

Page 2 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Jul 14, 2017
Visit site
Re: Re:

The Hegelian said:
cellardoor said:
I tend to take the view that a pure climber can't normally win the tour unless they get lucky (misfortune of others), are a ridiculously strong climber (Pantani) or perhaps if there isn't a good all rounder for a few years. Once Froome declines I expect there will be other allrounders about to prevent Bardet winnng like Dumoulin or perhaps even Roglic. So Bardet and Barguil don't seem like likely winners despite Bardet's (probable) 2 podiums. There is a big difference between a podium and winning. I guess Bardet could nick a Tour in the right circumstances, but I don't see any current French rider as having the goods to win multiple Tours.

Fair point. Interesting how TT powerhouses can drop a bit of weight and radically improve their climbing, but climbers very often start and finish their careers as goats who can never TT to save themselves. We need to ask though: how much does Bardet need to improve to become a genuine threat?

Not that much, surely. i.e. to minimize loses. Also bear in mind that it's pretty rare to have even one (let alone two) long flat Indurain type courses. Some years have a hill tt, and maybe a rolling course. So it will come down a bit to parcours. It helps being French!
You will find the answer on the scoreboard this afternoon

Alexandre B. said:
RedheadDane said:
Dazed and Confused said:
With a solid route design, none stands a chance against Domoulin.

You mean... there's no point in looking for a French hope, because Dumoulin will beat them all anyway?
And because apparently there's only one way to make solid route designs.
Not really, but you'd imagine ASO would want an absolute minimum of time trial mileage considering Bardet's performances in 2016 and 2017. He has a real shot to win and the French would obviously want that. And under 35 or 40 kilometres absolutely isn't solid for a race such as Tour de France, historically always the race where you had to be the most all-round to win out of the GTs.

Good points all around particularly considering both riders and course as factors. In the foreseeable future, forobvious reasons, there will be little ITT in order to keep Bardet competitive. In a Luxembourg '92 ITT he would lose seven minutes. So yes, it helps to be French :) . Or Italian/Giro, Spaniard/Vuelta...

Before looking at the next generation, let's consider that Pinot and Bardet are just entering their prime. I don't think that they have reached their ceiling. After all, both are having their best GT ever this year: best GT because being in the mix for the win until the very end, not minutes back...that's progress. No Ninja Attack ala Bardet last year or sucking wheels ala Pinot '14. They have improved, they are very close.

Latour shows great all-around skills, Gaudu has yet to breakthrough. It's risky to predict right now, and I hope that the hype train doesn't hurt him, but what I have seen of Gaudu so far makes me very optimistic.

JS10 said:
The Hegelian said:
cellardoor said:
I tend to take the view that a pure climber can't normally win the tour unless they get lucky (misfortune of others), are a ridiculously strong climber (Pantani) or perhaps if there isn't a good all rounder for a few years. Once Froome declines I expect there will be other allrounders about to prevent Bardet winnng like Dumoulin or perhaps even Roglic. So Bardet and Barguil don't seem like likely winners despite Bardet's (probable) 2 podiums. There is a big difference between a podium and winning. I guess Bardet could nick a Tour in the right circumstances, but I don't see any current French rider as having the goods to win multiple Tours.

Fair point. Interesting how TT powerhouses can drop a bit of weight and radically improve their climbing, but climbers very often start and finish their careers as goats who can never TT to save themselves. We need to ask though: how much does Bardet need to improve to become a genuine threat?

Not that much, surely. i.e. to minimize loses. Also bear in mind that it's pretty rare to have even one (let alone two) long flat Indurain type courses. Some years have a hill tt, and maybe a rolling course. So it will come down a bit to parcours. It helps being French!
You will find the answer on the scoreboard this afternoon

And now we know...

Making up that final minute is a gulf for Bardet no matter how matter how much Froome is booed or not shown on the coverage ! The French are getting closer but in a way also not getting closer. As Andy Schleck found out, it is very hard to win a GT these days without being a pretty good TT rider. Or you need a super strong team for the mountains like Astana used to have and your rivals have have a fairly weak team.

Re:

Escarabajo said:
Not Bardet. That was a horrible TT. And that was short. The Tour will probably put longer ones in the future.

The last time that I saw a big transformation from a bad TT to a good TT for a GC contender was Basso. And you all know how that ended up.
It ended up with Basso officially winning 2 GTs.

Valv.Piti said:
Not really, but you'd imagine ASO would want an absolute minimum of time trial mileage considering Bardet's performances in 2016 and 2017. He has a real shot to win and the French would obviously want that. And under 35 or 40 kilometres absolutely isn't solid for a race such as Tour de France, historically always the race where you had to be the most all-round to win out of the GTs.
I don't see Bardet taking chunks out of the top climbers (Quintana, Froome, Nibali, Porte, Pinot, Aru, Landa, Uran...) in the mountains. Well, maybe off Porte and Pinot down the mountains if ASO want to keep at that until someone dies. So unless everything goes spectacularly well for him it's really complicated for Bardet to win take it even on a parcours like this year's, where he's on the podium by a second.

Meanwhile, it's been a fair few years of low time-trialling, and bar for Alpe d'Huez and the Ventoux running man it's pretty much been a procession. I don't think it being a closer procession made it any less of a procession. So we might see Dumoulin be given a shot. I think ASO care more about an entertaining race than a French winner, and Dumoulin might be game.

carton said:
Meanwhile, it's been a fair few years of low time-trialling, and bar for Alpe d'Huez and the Ventoux running man it's pretty much been a procession. I don't think it being a closer procession made it any less of a procession. So we might see Dumoulin be given a shot. I think ASO care more about an entertaining race than a French winner, and Dumoulin might be game.
ASO is a business. If they cared about the French public, they would stop the Grand Depart whereever-pays-the-most and stop neglecting half of France, including cycling-loving regions. French stage wins are great, a French contender is always good, but TV ratings (and TV rights) are everything. They want the gaps to be small for as long as possible. If it wasn't for the crap incident, the long ITT would have settled the Giro early. I don't see a lot of ITT coming back anytime soon.

Sorry guys :eek: , but my feeling is that we'll see more designs like this one. That's where the money is.

Tonton said:
ASO is a business. If they cared about the French public, they would stop the Grand Depart whereever-pays-the-most and stop neglecting half of France, including cycling-loving regions. French stage wins are great, a French contender is always good, but TV ratings (and TV rights) are everything. They want the gaps to be small for as long as possible. If it wasn't for the crap incident, the long ITT would have settled the Giro early. I don't see a lot of ITT coming back anytime soon.

Sorry guys :eek: , but my feeling is that we'll see more designs like this one. That's where the money is.
ASO is a business that gets a big share of it revenues out of the French public, mind you. Yet the stadium in Marseille was empty, even though Bardet was mathematically in it.

If Froome can't sustain 6.2W/Kg anymore, a long TT won't kill the race, particularly if peak Quintana (most likely), Porte or Landa can. Meanwhile it might give all of them a reason to attack if Dumoulin was in yellow.

Something else to try out, as 8 man teams are clearly not going to do the trick. I think ASO are savvier than they let on sometimes.

Crap routes are not only due to low TT kilometers.

They can give Quintana and Bardet a better shot even with more TT kilometers. Let's take a hypothetical case that they put a long ITT and Froome and Dumoulin put every mountain goat at at least 3-4 minutes. That will give them more freedom and I bet the race will see more attacking and less marking from the dominant time trailers.

However, the condition will be that better mountain stages will have to be designed as well. My 2 cents. :)

The Giro seems to be quite happy with designing 90s style routes and force the climbers to race like Pantani 1994! A potential Landa versus Dumoulin battle at the corsa rosa looks promising IMHO.

Basso won one Giro with a strong TT. In 2010 his TT was pretty average again.

Like I said, Ricco finished a TT loaded Giro in second place. His TT was horrible. The cobra fell in the hilly TT, even lost time up to Plan de Corones. Yet, he wasn't much more aggressive than Bardet has been in the recent two years. Simoni never had an excellent TT in his pocket when he won his two Giro editions. Cuneo was absolutely horrible in the TT, but defeated Popovych with great team tactics.

It's about competition. In a Giro against Aru, Bardet absolutely would be able to win. No matter how bad his TT his. You need to anticipate and grab your chance. This year he would've been without any chance at the Giro. Last year he likely would have won it. Leipheimer would have won the 2012 Tour in 2008.

Jun 30, 2014
Visit site
Re:

staubsauger said:
The Giro seems to be quite happy with designing 90s style routes and force the climbers to race like Pantani 1994! A potential Landa versus Dumoulin battle at the corsa rosa looks promising IMHO.

Like I said, Ricco finished a TT loaded Giro in second place. His TT was horrible. The cobra fell in the hilly TT, even lost time up to Plan de Corones. Yet, he wasn't much more aggressive than Bardet has been in the recent two years. Simoni never had an excellent TT in his pocket when he won his two Giro editions. Cuneo was absolutely horrible in the TT, but defeated Popovych with great team tactics.

It's about competition. In a Giro against Aru, Bardet absolutely would be able to win. No matter how bad his TT his. You need to anticipate and grab your chance. This year he would've been without any chance at the Giro. Last year he likely would have won it. Leipheimer would have won the 2012 Tour in 2008.
Honchar was his main rival, besides Simoni, not Popovych who finished 5th on gc.
In his prime Simoni was able to limit his losses in the TTs, at least in the Giro when he had home field advantage.

Re:

staubsauger said:

Don't forget about Contador and Rasmussen beating Evans in 2007 despite over 110kms of TT and Evans TTing like a freight train.

Against USPS, even Pantani couldn't do it. Against Sky, no one has been able to do it. Super-teams rule. A super-team with a strong ITT leader is tough to beat. Against a not-so-great Sky/Froome, AG2R had a strong team; so did Movistar in years past: but at some point you have to take chances...put it all on the line...