• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

French is accusing British cyclist Cheating

Apr 23, 2009
Visit site
Love the one about favouritism shown towards the British by referees. Try telling that to Victoria Pendleton.

Also love the insinuations about Team GB doping. Of course, when it comes to French team, no insinuation is needed as they have riders who have been stripped of medals and sanctioned for doping related offences.

It's all a bit desperate really, and shows a total lack of class. Very much like all the shrill aussi-instigated whining on this forum when the British repeated their Olympic medal haul, and a British rider won the Tour, the truth behind it is simple: it's all the French can do.

Apr 23, 2009
Visit site
Ah yes, 'fanboy'. The playground insult so common on this forum, behind which lies the insinuation that the person concerned is a fanatical devotee, blind to the obvious and incapable of being rational when their idols are held up for scrutiny.
Who uses a term like this? Somebody with either the intellectual laziness or insufficient intellect to attend to the issue in hand.

Much like 'denier', the other term of abuse,so glibly used in this topsy-turvy ecosystem of a forum, with its sinister inflections of anti-Semitism.

Michele said:
Mr Pumpy, are you from UK?

Where I am from is irrelevant. If you'd like to comment on my posts, be my guest.

Apr 23, 2009
Visit site
You think? I don't think you'll find one instance of me trying to devalue the sporting success of anybody, which is what lies underneath so much (but not all) of the unsubstantiated accusations that fly around here.

I'm pointing out that you whining about labels and name-calling is hypocritical when you're simply on a xenophobic slant yourself.
And no, it's not devaluing sporting success, it's about looking for sporting success where it's potentially not merited. Your ignorance is just as bad as those you seek to lump into a single group and criticise.

Now, if you want to argue the merits, I'll point out that Victoria Pendleton's relegation (which was justified) doesn't remotely equal to some of the decisions that went in favour of GB, like a rider intentionally crashing his bike in order to restart because he hadn't performed well enough initially, and if you're going to complain about the French having had doping positives and medals stripped, I'll calmly introduce you to David Millar.

Nationality means nothing. The only relevance is the substance or degree of suspicion of the allegations. Try addressing that next time instead of attacking nationality or citizenship.

Jul 23, 2009
Visit site
Cavalier said:
Now, if you want to argue the merits, I'll point out that Victoria Pendleton's relegation (which was justified) doesn't remotely equal to some of the decisions that went in favour of GB, like a rider intentionally crashing his bike in order to restart because he hadn't performed well enough initially, and if you're going to complain about the French having had doping positives and medals stripped, I'll calmly introduce you to David Millar.
Truth - 1
Plumpy - 0

Aug 18, 2009
Visit site
Mr Pumpy said:
Love the one about favouritism shown towards the British by referees. Try telling that to Victoria Pendleton.

Also love the insinuations about Team GB doping. Of course, when it comes to French team, no insinuation is needed as they have riders who have been stripped of medals and sanctioned for doping related offences.

It's all a bit desperate really, and shows a total lack of class. Very much like all the shrill aussi-instigated whining on this forum when the British repeated their Olympic medal haul, and a British rider won the Tour, the truth behind it is simple: it's all the French can do.

How about Philip Hines naively explaining that he'd faked a crash to get a restart in te team sprint, as per the plan? Gamesmanship. And you refer to Bauge's whereabouts ban, but of course that's no worse than Christine Ohurugu, and Millar and Chambers were back on Team GB this year also. It's not impossible that British athletes dope.

The Hitch said:
Its ok through for the UK (bbc and daily mail) to accuse makhloufi of doping. That's all fair and dandy.

True.

Aug 13, 2010
Visit site
The Hitch said:
Its ok through for the UK (bbc and daily mail) to accuse makhloufi of doping. That's all fair and dandy.
Who is saying that is fair? The mainstream UK media tends to be nationalistic and not knowledgable about most things. You living in London should know this better than most.

You feigning indignity at such stories does you no favours.

Apr 23, 2009
Visit site
taiwan said:
How about Philip Hines naively explaining that he'd faked a crash to get a restart in te team sprint, as per the plan? Gamesmanship. And you refer to Bauge's whereabouts ban, but of course that's no worse than Christine Ohurugu, and Millar and Chambers were back on Team GB this year also. It's not impossible that British athletes dope.

Indeed. There are plenty of examples of British doping in sport, and there is nothing about being British that makes a person less inclined to dope.

I'm pretty comfortable with the performances of the British track team. I wouldnt have the same confidence about Team Sky. That is not to say I believe there to be a doping system in place, but I wouldn't have feelings of surprise if there were.

Jul 17, 2012
Visit site
Cavalier said:
Now, if you want to argue the merits, I'll point out that Victoria Pendleton's relegation (which was justified) doesn't remotely equal to some of the decisions that went in favour of GB, like a rider intentionally crashing his bike in order to restart because he hadn't performed well enough initially

Except there was no decision to make, it is within the rules

Guy Drut, who claimed the 110-meter hurdles gold in 1976 and serves on an International Olympic Committee commission, has complained that British crowds have cheered loudly only for their home athletes - refusing to acknowledge the efforts of other nations.

Was he actually there, did he not see the crowds lining the marathon route, the 20k and 50k walks, events in which Brits had no chance. Every stadium, every event was packed out, an 80,000 crowd for a womans football match between U.S.A and Canada. Mr Drut is completely out of order and his comments IMHO are of a man and a country still bitter at losing out on The Olympic Games. I attended a number of events and I can tell you that everyone regardless of Nationality got a good cheer.

Pete

Jul 19, 2009
Visit site
JimmyFingers said:
Except there was no decision to make, it is within the rules
It'sn't within rules when it's a faked problem.

There was another similar problem at start in rowing, lightweight double sculls. GB favorite team has a "mechanical" problem after 85m of race, while having a bad start, but just within the limit of a re-start in case of technical problem. Coincidence ?

Jul 17, 2012
Visit site
poupou said:
It'sn't within rules when it's a faked problem.

There was another similar problem at start in rowing, lightweight double sculls. GB favorite team has a "mechanical" problem after 85m of race, while having a bad start, but just within the limit of a re-start in case of technical problem. Coincidence ?

It may not be within your rules, but neither were illegal. May be the rules should be changed, but such crashing isn't that unusual in team sprint. But again this has been discussed endlessly, in other threads

Aug 18, 2009
Visit site
JimmyFingers said:
It may not be within your rules, but neither were illegal. May be the rules should be changed, but such crashing isn't that unusual in team sprint. But again this has been discussed endlessly, in other threads

Examples?...

Another case of pushing the envolope of the rules is the skinsuits discussed here. The use of aerodynamic seams sounds like it contravenes UCI regs, although clearly the UCI tolerate it. Gerard Vroomen picked this up on his blog a while ago.
UCI said:
It is not permitted to use clothing or skinsuit to which non-essential parts have been added in order to improve their aerodynamic nature, such as, for example, wings under the arms or an extension between the helmet and the jersey or the suit

Apr 23, 2009
Visit site
Funnily enough, French team’s technical director, Isabelle Gautheron, said of the incident that “you have to make the most of the rules. You have to play with them in a competition and no one should complain about that,”

So that's a big STFU from the team that were 'cheated' by the British ;)

Aug 18, 2009
Visit site
She also explicitly ruled out doping, so not sure why you were complaining about that. But I concede this discussion is a dead end.

Apr 23, 2009
Visit site
I wasn't.

I was pointing out the irony of unsubstantiated insinuations coming from the French when they have a concrete, hard and fast, undeniable cheat as their central guy.

The British are in a luxurious position. They don't have to resort to name-calling and finger pointing, nor do they have any mud sticking to them. They let their legs do the talking ;)

So much of what has been posted on this sub-forum is dead end. It is quite striking that now the TdF and the olympics are overthere is actually something worth reading, mostly on the USADA and JV threads.

Aug 18, 2009
Visit site
Mr Pumpy said:
I wasn't.

I was pointing out the irony of unsubstantiated insinuations coming from the French when they have a concrete, hard and fast, undeniable cheat as their central guy.

The British are in a luxurious position. They don't have to resort to name-calling and finger pointing, nor do they have any mud sticking to them.
They let their legs do the talking ;)

So much of what has been posted on this sub-forum is dead end. It is quite striking that now the TdF and the olympics are overthere is actually something worth reading, mostly on the USADA and JV threads.
...and their engineers, and their acting skills, and their £££, and realistically, the pharmaceutical question remains ;) Let's not scoff too much, eh?

While there is every reason in the world to be suspect of the brits dramatically improvement, fitting enough for the Olympics on home soil, the only sad thing is that it comes from the french. I mean, have there been any rider who not have cheated since 1985 according to the french?

TRENDING THREADS