• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

From a "French Conspiracy" to an "American Witchhunt".

Polish

BANNED
Mar 11, 2009
Visit site
The fans along the roads of the Tour de France seem to be going GaGa over Lance this year (last year too).

No "EPO Lance" painted on the roads.
No Jeering or Spitting.
No death threats.
No armed Gendarmes in the Team Car.
No need for bodyguards.

What happeneed to all the hate predicted by some before this Tour began?

Instead, Lance is riding his bike to the start amongst the crowds.
Signing autographs until his wrist is sore.

The nasty articles in L'Equipe have been replaced by nasty articles in the NY papers lol.

I daresay that many French fans have been a step or two ahead of many American fans for awhile now...

Polish said:
The fans along the roads of the Tour de France seem to be going GaGa over Lance this year (last year too).

Well, except the guy that made Lance run and hide in the bus.

Polish said:
No "EPO Lance" painted on the roads.

Have you seen every meter of the course to verify this?

Polish said:
No Jeering or Spitting.

Never any evidence that this happened - ever. Only spitter is Lance's "enforcer" Ekimov.

Polish said:
No death threats.

Again, no proof this ever happened. No tapes, no emails presented, no pictures of crudely composed letters made up from newspaper and magazine clippings.

Polish said:
No armed Gendarmes in the Team Car.

Because there was never any need before. All JB/LA theatrics.

Polish said:
No need for bodyguards.

See above.

Nice try.

flicker

BANNED
Aug 17, 2009
Visit site
MacRoadie said:
Well, except the guy that made Lance run and hide in the bus.

Have you seen every meter of the course to verify this?

Never any evidence that this happened - ever. Only spitter is Lance's "enforcer" Ekimov.

Again, no proof this ever happened. No tapes, no emails presented, no pictures of crudely composed letters made up from newspaper and magazine clippings.

Because there was never any need before. All JB/LA theatrics.

See above.

Nice try.

I do not agree. If you re-read what the shack Armstrong haters have said in the Forum, I would think Lance is in danger. Some pretty vile feedback towards Lance(on the verge of liabilous by the forumites and moderators here! Vile in my opinion.

flicker said:
I do not agree. If you re-read what the shack Armstrong haters have said in the Forum, I would think Lance is in danger. Some pretty vile feedback towards Lance(on the verge of liabilous by the forumites and moderators here! Vile in my opinion.

Well, if you don't agree, then it should be a simple matter to provide links to the evidence that any of these things happened or were required to ensure Armstrong's safety.

I'm shocked it took 3+ days for the minions to include the talking point "witch hunt" into the forum.

Better late than never. Congratulations! I look forward to the next installment. I assume it will be something about my tax dollars being wasted.

Personally, since I have no idea what case (if any) they're trying to make, I just can't feel justified characterizing the investigation one way or another. But that's just me. I personally don't have a problem with investigators...well...investigating.

Jul 7, 2010
Visit site
There's still some haters out there on the course but they're not french.

I was on the Col de la Ramaz and one guy took quite some time to write in enormous letters "Want a Trek bike - call Lance" and "Lance (loveheart) dope".

I was next to a french guy who spoke english and he translated the writing for all the other french around. They all just shook their heads in pity that someone would come to the tour de france and spend so much time writing negative messages. The guy also copped some abuse from some of the english speakers in the area too.

I followed the tour from start to finish last year (skipping the odd stage to get good positions) and it was extremely rare to see any signs of Lance animosity. In fact many of the french I met greatly admired him and were cheering him on.

Rooboy said:
In fact many of the french I met greatly admired him and were cheering him on.

That's because the "French Conspiracy" was also a creation of the Armstrong PR machine.

In that regard, num-nuts was actually right. The Armstrong talking points really did go "From a 'French Conspiracy' to an 'American Witchhunt'".

Jul 22, 2009
Visit site
Deagol said:
Is this really a thread ?

Really ???
:confused:

Isn't the term "witch hunt" reserved for unfair persecution of the innocent?
innocent until proven guilty. (at least that is how most of the law works)

Jun 9, 2010
Visit site
Polish said:
Lance went into the bus to grab his gun.
Klodi and Rast had to hold him down....

Wow if he did that he is pretty coward... a real macho like him should face his prosecutors face to face! :D

Polish said:
No need for bodyguards.

Ehhhhmmmm NO... RadioShack bus has been guarded by 4 or 6 six bodyguards though... I read some article that said that in a spanish newspaper... cuz they were comparing the Uniballer with El Pistolero...

Moose McKnuckles said:
Lance is as innocent as OJ was. Happy now?

hahahahaha nice... Epic joke!