• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Front page content derived from furum

Page 2 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Jul 23, 2009
Visit site
taiwan said:
Your thoughts on forum users producing content for the main site, please.
No problem with it. Not that the world needs further exposure to the crap you and I write here, but they are welcome to it. I like how Susan has handled it thus far.

TeamSkyFans said:
Yes it has, but ive seen several Articles written based on things said on the Forum, and a few articles based on discussion on the forum that have led onto other things. Certainly Anthony Tan has referred to things on the forum at least once.
It strikes me that the lads behind the toto comics are tapped into the CN Forum, which is about the finest compliment any cycling journalist can pay.

Aug 18, 2009
Visit site
Not that I'm rating the quality of my posts, but if forum content was of no interest/value it wouldn't be on the FP at the moment. Just pees me off. It's simply CN kicking the ar5e out of easy content. I bet the forum is used daily by CN journalists to keep up with what's happening, also. Too far in these directions and they're only middlemen.

A

Anonymous

pedaling squares said:
It strikes me that the lads behind the toto comics are tapped into the CN Forum, which is about the finest compliment any cycling journalist can pay.

I would asume that nyvelocity do, but also a lot of whats on here is also discussed on twitter etc.

Lets face it, an awful lot of journalists read the forum, a lot of team managers read the forum, and a lot of riders read the forum.

Theres several users here who if they mentioned their name to half a dozen team managers would get a reaction, just as there are a fair few people on twitter for whom you could say the same thing (sadly myself included).

TeamSkyFans said:
I would asume that nyvelocity do, but also a lot of whats on here is also discussed on twitter etc.

Lets face it, an awful lot of journalists read the forum, a lot of team managers read the forum, and a lot of riders read the forum.

Theres several users here who if they mentioned their name to half a dozen team managers would get a reaction, just as there are a fair few people on twitter for whom you could say the same thing (sadly myself included).

You saying John Lelangue would smile if I asked him what he thinks of the letters ACF?

Aug 18, 2009
Visit site
Cobblestones said:
As I see it, everything I post here is fair game for CN to use as they seem fit (which is nothing at all).

Well that's legally the case however you see it, but the increasing high profile use cheeses me off, as you'll have gathered.

Mar 19, 2009
Visit site
I thought the only stuff that was used in news pages were from a thread were it was made clear you could have your posts included in a report if you wanted, seems fair enough to me, I think the editor fellow wants to get the forum more involved with the site :S

A

Anonymous

palmerq said:
I thought the only stuff that was used in news pages were from a thread were it was made clear you could have your posts included in a report if you wanted, seems fair enough to me, I think the editor fellow wants to get the forum more involved with the site :S

Or the editors want to drive traffic to the forum so they can benefit from their new in thread advertising. ;)

Jan 18, 2010
Visit site
taiwan said:
Well that's legally the case however you see it, but the increasing high profile use cheeses me off, as you'll have gathered.

I can understand why that in certain places around the world you could be possibly be concerned that a post on a message board could end being part of a website story, particularly if it involved criticizing a government/administration - and then you end up being tracked down and shot or imprisoned or whatever.

Not sure you have too much to worry about here though.

Just tell the admins here that you dont want your messages as part of the website content, I'm sure Dan, Susan and the others are unlikely to put your opinions on there any time soon.

A

Anonymous

RedheadDane said:
Yeah... except the deriving front-page content from forum business started well before the placing advertising in the middle of threads business... :p

its called forward planning.

Aug 18, 2009
Visit site
sublimit said:
Just tell the admins here that you dont want your messages as part of the website content, I'm sure Dan, Susan and the others are unlikely to put your opinions on there any time soon.

OK, may I request that my posts are not used in FP articles. Not that I thought you were planning to, but you never know. If you want me to write articles for CN, £££ please. Forum ads are one thing, but if anyone makes anything out of my tiresome garblings, I'd like it to be me, thx. I don't feel I owe CN anything. I'm sure you won't have any problems argeeing this with me.

Jul 23, 2009
Visit site
For the 87th time, Susan creates specific threads where it is known in advance that posts therein may be considered for use in a CN article. I don't know how she could make it more clear. If you post in those threads knowing you don't want your words in an article, you're pretty daft. Stay out of those few threads and your words will remain in the furum.

Aug 18, 2009
Visit site
pedaling squares said:
For the 87th time, Susan creates specific threads where it is known in advance that posts therein may be considered for use in a CN article. I don't know how she could make it more clear. If you post in those threads knowing you don't want your words in an article, you're pretty daft. Stay out of those few threads and your words will remain in the furum.

taiwan said:
Just to flag up that this rule has been dispensed with. Not to pick on Susan.

Susan Westemeyer said:
True. However, I did put a notice in the appropriate thread of what I planned to do, and it met with approval from the users.

Susan

I doubt the 'notice' rule will be adhered to either, but let's see.

Anyway, is the CQ Game thread next up? Something Hugo Koblet said.

A

Anonymous

pedaling squares said:

not totally true.. the "forum hot topic" news articles are not warned about.

Not that anyone should care. Whatevers on the forum is publicly viewable. who cares if its on the forum or the website.

(but if i say anything really amazing I expect to be paid)

Jul 23, 2009
Visit site
Yeah, I hadn't realized that the goal posts had moved a bit. If it's just a notice within a thread I can easily see a user missing that. I'm a bit daft myself, obviously. But I agree with your overall point, anything we post here we have already made public and it's not like the sign outside my house says welcome to the Squares residence.

May 6, 2009
Visit site
I don't mind as hopefully the people who design race routes will read the articles and see the fans think and want and have some influence when designing a GT parcours. I mean the Angliru was brought about by a fan who sent an e-mail to the organizers of the Vuelta telling them about the climb and they checked it out and included it.