• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Froome Appreciation Thread

Page 2 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Libertine Seguros said:
He probably meant a stage?
Probably, but the wording makes it sound like he means the gc "I'd like to win a race...perhaps the vuelta espana (note: he says nothing about a stage, or at the vuelta espana). I just found it quite interesting. Allegedly he's always been able to produce amazing numbers in training so it's not unthinkable that he actually thought he would be able to do something like this.

A

Anonymous

TeamSkyFans said:
Who was originally meant to be team leader for the Vuelta?

maltiv said:
Probably, but the wording makes it sound like he means the gc "I'd like to win a race...perhaps the vuelta espana (note: he says nothing about a stage, or at the vuelta espana). I just found it quite interesting. Allegedly he's always been able to produce amazing numbers in training so it's not unthinkable that he actually thought he would be able to do something like this.

I shall answer my own question. Froome was originally intended to be leader at the Vuelta.

TeamSkyFans said:
I shall answer my own question. Froome was originally intended to be leader at the Vuelta.

Not Lövkvist? Man, I can see why he's been so poor now then, given that when he originally signed it was under the auspices of being the team's GC man (pending the signing of Wiggins of course). I wouldn't feel too compelled to try too hard in that case either.

TeamSkyFans said:
From the beginning of the year? If so, that's quite insane, given how unimpressive he was in 2010. Unless, of course, the management had seen him produce this sort of numbers on training. Do you have a source for this?

Jul 24, 2010
Visit site
Libertine Seguros said:
Not Lövkvist? Man, I can see why he's been so poor now then, given that when he originally signed it was under the auspices of being the team's GC man (pending the signing of Wiggins of course). I wouldn't feel too compelled to try too hard in that case either.

Lorkvist wasn't meant to be riding the Vuelta.

A

Anonymous

maltiv said:
From the beginning of the year? If so, that's quite insane, given how unimpressive he was in 2010. Unless, of course, the management had seen him produce this sort of numbers on training. Do you have a source for this?

it would involve digging into interviews from around february. Will have a dig tomorrow.

As far as I recall the plan was, Lofkvist for the Giro, Wiggins for the Tour and then to send a fairly young team to the Vuelta, with Froome getting an opportunity to try and do a decent GC ride (Think Uran was originally pencilled in as well)

Obviously this changed with Brads injury. I doubt Zandio for instance would have ridden the Vuelta had Wiggins not ridden it.

Jul 20, 2011
Visit site
TeamSkyFans said:

Earlier in the year i always thought it was going to be Uran (Tommy for giro, Brad for tour, rigoberto for vuelta)

then Brad dropping out of tour and Uran obviously coming out of it worse than expected changed things

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site
Team DiMpsace = compiling great GC tilt team

Hobbit team transfer = FAIL

Froome leader
Wigans
Lovqvist
Uran
Thomas
Kennaugh
Boss Hog

=strongGC support for Froome

Cav can get f'ed

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site
serves Brailsford right for ttrying to squeeze him so more GBP can go to Wigans and Hobbit.

pay those guys millions leaves nothing for a more talented rider

I think Froome did a nice ride. If he was not having to shepherd Wiggins around he would be in the lead. Felt sorry for him that the bonus was stolen as well by Menchov and Poels. Those 8 seconds could have decided the race.

Feel sorry that Uran had health problems at the TDF, i thought he was a certainty for the white.

They would have also had Rogers for the 4th GT ( California )

Froome has made me into a huge fan. Not just on the bike but of it.

He handles himself so well, goes out of his way thank the fans, congratulates Cobo on the victory here http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/video-froome-has-no-regrets-about-vuelta-second-place

In his place you could blame so many things, and be right (Wiggins, ttt, time bonuses) or you can grit your teeth and say forcibly that you felt the better rider won.

Froome does neither, he smiles and says it like he means it when congratulating Cobo.

From what i saw he was also the kindest to the fans after the race. Stayed along time to take pictures and sign autographs and had a smile all the time.

Im not going to name names but others did not handle themselves so well.

blackcat said:
serves Brailsford right for ttrying to squeeze him so more GBP can go to Wigans and Hobbit.

pay those guys millions leaves nothing for a more talented rider

Of course, I remember you saying this 3 weeks ago. :rolleyes:

Wiggins has justified his salary this year. 3rd in P-N, Dauphine win and a GT podium. And as a British rider, he's generated a lot of publicity for the team sponsors in their target market.

As for Froome being more talented than Cav...

Jul 21, 2011
Visit site
The Hitch said:
Froome has made me into a huge fan. Not just on the bike but of it.

He handles himself so well, goes out of his way thank the fans, congratulates Cobo on the victory here http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/video-froome-has-no-regrets-about-vuelta-second-place

In his place you could blame so many things, and be right (Wiggins, ttt, time bonuses) or you can grit your teeth and say forcibly that you felt the better rider won.

Froome does neither, he smiles and says it like he means it when congratulating Cobo.

From what i saw he was also the kindest to the fans after the race. Stayed along time to take pictures and sign autographs and had a smile all the time.

I'm not going to name names but others did not handle themselves so well.

Please do! It would be good to know who's worth the support from the GB public that Sky is trying to drum up...

Jan 18, 2010
Visit site
jens_attacks said:
knackered?lol he doesn't look like that,i followed him closely during this race,he's a beast.i still don't understany why he didn't a have a go at the itt.

I think that was about him stepping aside and giving Millar some fast racing in the ITT because he's barely done anything for a few weeks.

Froome to rest up and do a job at the Worlds RR after his podium at Vuelta.