• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Froome ignorance, he could always TT and climb

Page 6 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
cineteq said:
Talented is the wrong word. You better find a different word.
Talent: the skill that someone has quite naturally to do something that is hard

If you look at some of the Clinic threads, blackcat has even said Froome is probably Clinic material.

The point of contention is not whether or not he is clean, but whether he's a Carl Lewis freak-talent-that-is-also-doping, or a Ben Johnson chemically-induced-monster.

Froome's reinvention last August was a preposterous, ludicrous and ridiculous transformation. If you delete the whole of his career between August 2008 and August 2011, you can see that there is feasible talent that reasonable progression would have seen him end up where he did. However, most of us simply can't un-see that three years where he did not much of not much at all and are more reluctant to buy him as a once-in-a-lifetime talent as a result.

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site
Libertine Seguros said:
If you look at some of the Clinic threads, blackcat has even said Froome is [strike]probably[/strike] Clinic material.

The point of contention is not whether or not he is clean, but whether he's a Carl Lewis freak-talent-that-is-also-doping, or a Ben Johnson chemically-induced-monster.

Froome's reinvention last August was a preposterous, ludicrous and ridiculous transformation. If you delete the whole of his career between August 2008 and August 2011, you can see that there is feasible talent that reasonable progression would have seen him end up where he did. However, most of us simply can't un-see that three years where he did not much of not much at all and are more reluctant to buy him as a once-in-a-lifetime talent as a result.

I think he was stuck in the wrong team (Barlo) and had the opportunities denied to him, to show his talent.

If you are a US, UK, or Australian rider, you get this reverse discrimination. They tend to give you more opportunities than you deserve.

Froom never got these, before he switched nationality to GB/Brailsford/Sky.

Jul 25, 2011
Visit site
He has done a flat TT 25 seconds worse than Tony Martin two weeks ago. In a TT you always ride for yourself. It isn't logic we didn't see any decent TT from him before Vuelta 2011.

Mar 31, 2010
Visit site
froome was moslty injured in barloworld. the guy crashed a lot. that was the problem. still you could see his talent sometimes. I think tour 2008 I remember well in the mountains

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site
Doesn't explain how someone who sucked at time trials like Froome is now one of the best. He was awful on a time trial bike, I think I even remember him crashing big time during a time trial when he shouldn't have. :eek: He was awful on a time trial bike. And the thing is, his position still sucks.

If his 2008 Tour is called talent, half of the peloton is talented.

May 28, 2012
Visit site
El Pistolero said:
Doesn't explain how someone who sucked at time trials like Froome is now one of the best. He was awful on a time trial bike, I think I even remember him crashing big time during a time trial when he shouldn't have. :eek: He was awful on a time trial bike. And the thing is, his position still sucks.

I've never seen someone who looked this aweful on a TT bike, but still gets good results. He was still riding for Kenia at the time he did stuff like this:

preview_image.aspx

(Not sure if repost)

He rode into a photographer in Stuttgart, but he would've won this race, had he stayed on his bike. :D
This is probably the moment when Brailsford saw his British tour champion, because he has such a well developed judo roll. :rolleyes:

Libertine Seguros said:
If you look at some of the Clinic threads, blackcat has even said Froome is probably Clinic material.

It is pretty easy to spot that if you look where he stood before Vuelta last year and what, or should i said how, he did to go back from that awful Romandie-display to blitz in le Tour just weeks later.

Mar 31, 2010
Visit site
El Pistolero said:

he was always a good timetrialist. why do you think he even participated in wc itt u23? :rolleyes:

Jul 25, 2011
Visit site

16/08/2012 - A CONVERSATION WITH CHRIS FROOME

As a contender for the Grand Tours, Chris Froome was “born” at the Tour of Spain last year. He entered the Vuelta with the role of helping out Bradley Wiggins who had crashed at the Tour de France and wasn’t completely sure of his physical condition but the Kenyan-born lanky rider from Team Sky discovered his huge potential and eventually finished second to Juan José Cobo in the overall ranking. He clocked the best time of the whole field over the three weeks of racing but missed the victory by thirteen seconds as the Spaniard collected thirty seconds of time bonuses more than him. It led the race organizers to modify the scale for the 67th edition of the Vuelta, starting this Saturday in Pamplona. Instead of the time bonuses of 20, 12 and 6 seconds to the top three finishers of every stage, 12, 8 and 4 seconds will be awarded this time around. However, had this rule been implemented already last year, Cobo would still have won, but by three seconds only instead of thirteen. While Froome’s profile has raised drastically in the past twelve months, the Briton is on paper the strongest challenger that race favourite Alberto Contador will face.

Did you fall in love with the Vuelta last year?

Having done all three Grand Tours, I can confidently say I enjoy the Vuelta the most. Last year and the way the race unfolded will always be a highlight for me.

How much has this race been the milestone of your career and paved the way to your successes at the Tour de France and the Olympics?

It was the first race where I was able to show my potential in Grand Tours and consequently gave me the opportunity to target races like the Tour and the Olympics this year.

Why are you a candidate for doing the Vuelta again?

Doing the Vuelta again has always been a goal for me this year, and I hope to be able to carry the form from the Tour and the Olympics on for a few more weeks.

Do you think you can maintain the same level of form as at the Tour de France until September 9?

It’s going to be difficult, but I will certainly do my best. With the Olympics, it has been difficult to focus on preparation for the Vuelta.

Is Contador beatable?

Anything can happen over three weeks, especially in Spain.

What do you know of the course of the 2012 Vuelta?

I haven’t seen much of the course myself, but I’m expecting a tough three weeks ahead of me.

What is your real ambition for this race?

I hope to get the best out of myself in terms of the general classification, where that is exactly, who knows. I’d certainly love to win a Grand Tour after finishing second in the last two that I’ve done.

Is the 2012 Vuelta the second milestone of your career? Is this THE race for you to take the leadership of Team Sky in the Grand Tours?

My focus for this year was to be ready for the Tour de France, but this will be the first time for me going in to a Grand Tour as team leader. I just hope to make the most out of it and make it a successful Tour for Team Sky.

Oct 11, 2010
Visit site
blackcat said:
Fact is... Froome is the most talented GT rider in the current peloton.

You know your sh!t, blackcat, but you're way off the mark on this one. Froome finally got on the real lube and found that he's a super responder. No doubt.

Hello everybody!!
I am spanish, from Castleland.
It is my first post here.
First of all, sorry about my english.
I am glad to read and to post at least once here. I hope for more.
I ve learnt several interesting things reading here.

I have to say I have followed Froome since his first Tour, 2008, he impress me there, at the same time his team mate and big friend Jhon Lee Augustyn.
In his first Tour he had to take care of Hunter (only remained 4 riders in the team), so he didn.t care about GC, so you can see him in the groupetto several days, and his final GC position it is not really brilliant.
But the times he could show his potential, he was up there, despite he had some mistakes of a young, and very impulsive rider.
And if you see his ITTs, he was strong, quite strongm specially the last one, 14th, something far of the reach of Contador when he stars at the Tour at similar age,... He even was in a breakaway in the Champs Elysees...
Maybe that perfomance got pretty unnoticed for must of the people, but it wasnt for me and of course, I saw and I see, for more people.
I folllowed him next two years, but not too much... he didnt a bad Giro, his mission was to help Soler at the begining, his GC wasnt really bad, he was close to won a stage (another mistake, anyway Gerrans was stronger) but for me was a little disappointed, so I was waiting for improvement...that yearbest permomance was 3rd at Mont Faron, at the same time that team mate great climber soler, and Moncutie, 4rd rider was far away, so It wanst bad...

In 2010 he started with SKY, and the same story, but in an interview Froome said he think he had bilharzia already from 2010 on, he found it at the end of 2010, yes, but he got infected a year before, it seems.

So, If it is true beside that he was injured most of time with Barlowold, he even crash in the Giro in 2010...everything for me has sense, and that african boy that I could see strog in the Tour, in his 26 years old could finally show his potential, once the efects of Bilharzia are stopped.
In Spain most of the people dont believe in Froome, it is nice to read some people here who they do.
I understand that people dont believe, so they think Froome came from nowhere to one of the big possition in the peloton, but I am sure of his talent, and I would like that those people, are able at least to have some doubts about.
I am a fan of Rigoberto Uran, that I followed before Froome, and destiny put them in the same team, so I am not happy about to see a big talent as Rigo to work, but Froome deserved it right now.
I am as well fan of spanish riders, but here the culture has not been so serious againts doping, so I dont like that. Anyway, I am pretty sure things have changed a lot last years, here, and everywhere.
:)

blackcat said:
I think he was stuck in the wrong team (Barlo) and had the opportunities denied to him, to show his talent.

If you are a US, UK, or Australian rider, you get this reverse discrimination. They tend to give you more opportunities than you deserve.

Froom never got these, before he switched nationality to GB/Brailsford/Sky.

Really? If what you say is true, and Froome is such a diamond, why weren't offers coming left and right during last year's Vuelta? He didn't sign a new contract until Sept. 16.

Jul 19, 2010
Visit site
Moose McKnuckles said:
Really? If what you say is true, and Froome is such a diamond, why weren't offers coming left and right during last year's Vuelta? He didn't sign a new contract until Sept. 16.

I think he signed 3 years contract with sky in the beginning of this year. So maybe no one has a chance to offer him contract yet, since sky got to him first.

Dec 27, 2010
Visit site
Jelantik said:
I think he signed 3 years contract with sky in the beginning of this year. So maybe no one has a chance to offer him contract yet, since sky got to him first.

During last year's Vuelta, before Froome's meteoric rise, he had no contract renewal offer from Sky on the table.