• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Froome is Sky's best chance to win Le Tour

Page 15 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Jun 18, 2009
Visit site
webvan said:
Yes a good read, looks like he's counting on full team support next year if the TDF has more climbing...he'll need to be better than Wiggo on the ITT for that and winning the Vuelta would help too.

Bad year to try to win the Vuelta...

May 19, 2011
Visit site
webvan said:
Not so sure, Bertie hasn't competed much this year and they say it takes 3x the suspension to come back to your former self...Beating Bertie would certainly help him within the team and give him some more clout for the next TDF.

at best he can get co-leadership for next Tour, I just can't imagine defending champion come into tour saying he is working for another person (assuming W can win this year). Did that ever happen before? So SKY probably still have the problem who is riding for who next year.

Dec 27, 2010
Visit site
maxmartin said:
at best he can get co-leadership for next Tour, I just can't imagine defending champion come into tour saying he is working for another person (assuming W can win this year). Did that ever happen before? So SKY probably still have the problem who is riding for who next year.

Lemond-Hinault.

Jun 12, 2012
Visit site
maxmartin said:

Add to that Cavendish. I can't see a leader for GC and Cavendish existing in the same team again. One which weighs towards the GC like this year I mean. So a co-leader GC plus Cav...no chance.

May 19, 2011
Visit site
MonteZoncolan said:
Add to that Cavendish. I can't see a leader for GC and Cavendish existing in the same team again. One which weighs towards the GC like this year I mean. So a co-leader GC plus Cav...no chance.

agree, today's interview is clear signal from Froom. this maybe last time he is riding for Wiggins in the tour. As for Cav, Wiggins better riding hard for him in the Olympics to bring the gold. Cav may still stay in the SKY, but definitely won't accept a team line up like this year.

maxmartin said:

Lemond-Hinault in 1986...although Lemond must have been sweating bullets when Hinault had a 5+ minute lead after the first stage in the Pyrenees, fortunately he went crazy the next day, attacked and...collapsed

Riis-Ullrich in 1997...Riis as the defending champion was the leader coming in but Ullrich took off on Arcalis and then crushed the ITT the next day so that was it.

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site
JimPanzen said:
^this...add the Twitter messages of his GF (which totally annoy me, because it's close to being soap opera stuff there) and you got the perfect picture. I think it's all planned.
his girlfriend who is a cycling journalist, must know. She referred to a "rope a dope strategy.

blackcat approves this message

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site
LugHugger said:
He won't need to be better at the itt if ASO goes mtf crazy to celebrate the 100th tour next year. The Eurosport 'analysis' of the article today was frankly embarrassing in its wilful ignorance and sensationalism.

beat Wiggins in the chrono last year in vuelta.

If he roder the u23 chrono at worlds, about 4 years back, instead of the pro's, chances are he woulda won the rainbow, and be considered a different talent than he is now.

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site
roundabout said:
Err, no. And repeating it doesn't make it true.
1 Tony Martin (Ger) HTC-Highroad 0:55:54
2 Christopher Froome (GBr) Sky Procycling 0:00:59
3 Bradley Wiggins (GBr) Sky Procycling 0:01:22

beats Wiggins by 23 seconds over 47kms.

here is the u23 Worlds in 07 tt
1 Lars Boom (Netherlands) 48.58 (46.86 km/h)
2 Mikhail Ignatiev (Russia) 0.09
3 Jerome Coppel (France) 0.46
4 Michael Faerk Christensen (Denmark) 1.10
5 Adriano Malori (Italy) 1.12
6 Edvald Boasson Hagen (Norway) 1.13
7 Tanel Kangert (Estonia) 1.14
8 Alexandr Pliuschin (Moldavia) 1.17
9 Branislau Samoilau (Belarus) 1.28
10 Francis De Greef (Belgium) 1.30

Well Froomey won't be the first Sky rider to win Le Tour but he can still be the first one to win the Vuelta (and/or the Giro) in no later than a month!

Hopefully he recovers well and keeps his current shape, given he's only been in full action since the Dauphiné it shouldn't be impossible. Other than Cobo he'll be facing two talented riders who will be "fresh" but short on competition so that should be interesting. How he does there as a leader will certainly have an impact on how Sky approach the 2013 season. I'm hoping he delivers!

TRENDING THREADS