• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Froome Talk Only

Page 425 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
stutue said:
Of course one never saw attacks like the one in the Romandie video before the era of EPO.
Brailsford is on record saying those attacks weren't possible while clean. That was after Froome's transformation, but before he stopped towing Wiggins around.

See, this is a huge part of the problem. Sky's explanations never add up.

Sep 29, 2012
dearwiggo.blogspot.com.au
stutue said:
One never saw such massive margins in GC wins as Froome's record breaking 4'20.

No, attacks like this and devasting the GC by a full 4'20 can only be attributable to doping.

I realise it's pedantic and not much more in material terms, but his winning margin was in fact 4'40". He was penalised 20" for receiving illegal assistance via a team mate.

Jul 21, 2012
Visit site
At some point in time, anorectic riders who used to crash into officials and ride in sandals will become the best time trialist in the world.

Froome to win the tour ITT, Indurain style.

stutue

BANNED
Apr 22, 2014
Visit site
Dear Wiggo said:
I realise it's pedantic.

Its fine, accuracy is pretty important in discussions like this.

Obviously, the wider point I'm making is that there is nothing extraordinary about what you see Froome doing in that video. In fact the end result looks remarkably like this:

http://youtu.be/bVqu1ul88JY

Froome's winning margin in the TdF is pathetic when compared to some of the pre-EPO Tours. Think of Anquetil and Thevenet.

To me, the cyniscism that surrounds whichever rider happens to be predominant is just that...cyniscism.

Its highly understandable and unfortunately it may well prove to be justified, but let's try and consider each aspect of whoever on their own merits.

ebandit said:
hoggy.............you may not like froomey but hoping he falls on the cobbles

.........................sad

Mark L

He'll be fine.

Chris_Froome.jpg

Dec 13, 2012
Visit site
The Tour is going to be a virtual repeat of last years edition. Contador might do a bit better but he won't be anywhere near Froome. He will probably put 3-4 mins into 2nd place and 5-6 mins into third. Two ridiculous TTs and one ET attack in the mountains will take of the opposition.

Dear Wiggo said:
I realise it's pedantic and not much more in material terms, but his winning margin was in fact 4'40". He was penalised 20" for receiving illegal assistance via a team mate.

You forgot the more significant
time loss of froome dropping back on the champs elysee so that he and the team could cross the line on their own, which took 40 seconds off his gc winning margin.

stutue

BANNED
Apr 22, 2014
Visit site
The Hitch said:
You forgot the more significant
time loss of froome dropping back on the champs elysee so that he and the team could cross the line on their own, which took 40 seconds off his gc winning margin.

OK let's call it 5'20. Hell, 6' between friends.

Not exactly 48', though is it :rolleyes:

Jun 15, 2009
Visit site
Netserk said:
You can use his GT stats once he performs in a GT. It's disingenuous to use it in this context.

Otherwise you might as well say that it's suspicious if Costa wins Suisse this year, as he has never top-10 a GT.

I used it in context that Froome didn´t rode away from everybody. He attacked, then was caught by Spilak (who is not in a group of those AC rode away from like Qunintana for example. Nibali was "nothing" this year so far. In case you like to bring him up) dieseling up to him. AC OTOH just rode away, no one catching him, thus winning by 2 1/2 minutes on a similar matter.

Jul 21, 2012
Visit site
SundayRider said:
The Tour is going to be a virtual repeat of last years edition. Contador might do a bit better but he won't be anywhere near Froome. He will probably put 3-4 mins into 2nd place and 5-6 mins into third. Two ridiculous TTs and one ET attack in the mountains will take of the opposition.

I had some initial hope that Contador might have a chance, but not anymore really. Lets face it, Dawg is far from 100% right now, and he is already toying with the field.

Dec 13, 2012
Visit site
the sceptic said:
I had some initial hope that Contador might have a chance, but not anymore really. Lets face it, Dawg is far from 100% right now, and he is already toying with the field.

Yeah same here. I think if he gets within says 2 mins 30 secs then he has done well. He is TTing as fast as Martin, no way Contador can match that.

stutue

BANNED
Apr 22, 2014
Visit site
the sceptic said:

This is a doping thread, right? So your post has to be taken in the context of doping.

Why would you favour an officially proven doper over somebody merely unofficially suspected?

TRENDING THREADS