Teams & Riders Froome Talk Only

Page 778 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
I was talking out of my arse, he did not win stage 3 of the Giro del Capo (Tour of the Cape) (who thought it was a good idea to give a South-African race an Italian name :confused: ) he came 2nd overall in 2008 though and won this 1.2 race with the same name in 2009
http://cqranking.com/men/asp/gen/race.asp?raceid=10559
What the hell , over 3 minutes advantage :D , why have Sky fans not yet pointed towards this as evidence of his talent, instead of his 382th place at the U23 Commonwealth ITT :D

Of course it's just making things up. Maybe they picked up Nibali this time because maybe later in the book he'll become the villain who rides for a disgraced doped team, throws bottles at G's mate Froomey and has the nerve to attack him while he's struggling with his gears. And of course he is a lazy dude, not training enough and eating pizzas all day.

I remember when I was riding the Atomic Jock Race back in 2006. I said to my friend at the time, “who’s the odd looking white guy with sandshoes on a bike over there?”, he said “that’s Chris Froome mate, one day he’ll win the Tour de France pushing numbers of known dopers clean, they’ll call him Dawg”.

Who would have thought that it all came true...

There might be some truth though that he has a problem with cycling knowledge even pre-badzilla. This is from 2009, good ol Barloworld times:

Q: Who is the president of British Cycling?
Chris Froome: Uhm, the guy with the beard, what?s his name?
Steve Cummings: Brian something?.
Geraint Thomas: ?Cookson.
CW: A bad start to the test. Froome met the president at last year?s world championships.

Re:

Rollthedice said:
Of course it's just making things up. Maybe they picked up Nibali this time because maybe later in the book he'll become the villain who rides for a disgraced doped team, throws bottles at G's mate Froomey and has the nerve to attack him while he's struggling with his gears. And of course he is a lazy dude, not training enough and eating pizzas all day.
bolded: you said it right. Froome was right to complain
disgraced team and attacking while he struggles with his gears: both topics are part of the game, no problem with that for me.

Re:

SeriousSam said:
Cool sounding anecdotes are all made up ***. All of them.
What "cool" anecdotes?

Poulidor used to appeal to middle aged French housewives. Thomas is like the British, gay version of that. Designed to appeal to middle aged male lycra warriors.
Dad humour, but not much cool about it.

thehog said:
I remember when I was riding the Atomic Jock Race back in 2006. I said to my friend at the time, “who’s the odd looking white guy with sandshoes on a bike over there?”, he said “that’s Chris Froome mate, one day he’ll win the Tour de France pushing numbers of known dopers clean, they’ll call him Dawg”.

Who would have thought that it all came true...
hog you need to make extra clear in your post that you are posting your own parody. As far as we know, that could actually be something from Thomas or Walsh.

Jul 21, 2012
The best thing about the Dawg myths is that Walsh is such a terrible writer but at the same time he has this image in his own head of being a modern poet and robin hood for saving cycling from Lance. This makes his deluded rambling so much better.

I really hope he has another Sky book in him before he becomes completely incoherent

Re:

the sceptic said:
The best thing about the Dawg myths is that Walsh is such a terrible writer but at the same time he has this image in his own head of being a modern poet and robin hood for saving cycling from Lance. This makes his deluded rambling so much better.

I really hope he has another Sky book in him before he becomes completely incoherent
Walsh has been channeling his inner Phil Liggett. Walsh is now 60 and becoming just as senile as Phil has become.

I too do dream of another book from Walsh, it will complete me.

Aug 26, 2014
Re:

Rollthedice said:
Surely it's more about who the defending Tour champion was when G was actually making all this stuff up. Because of that, he's going to be much more familiar to your average July Tour watcher, and Sky fanboy who will buy this in the Christmas following the TdF15.

It's been evident for a while that G. is being wheeled out as the personable, British face of Team Sky.

What I really wish for Christmas is a cycling version of Primary Colours…the potential for a vitriolic, satirical roman a clef from Inside Team Sky is so high.

its just the usual post-armstrong myth making...of course Armstrong's anecdote was better...Argentin in his case I think

...and of course it would all have a whiff of believablability if this wasn't all revisionist nonsense...at least with Armstrong you heard stories about him in 89/90/91 as being a great talent (albeit potentially assisted)...all we knew about Froome pre-transformation was that Brailsford rated him the lowest of all the SKY riders....if you were sitting on the worlds greatest rider (potentially) and he wasn't performing you would be mightily peed off...but no...doesn't even rate a mention ;)

purrrllleaassee

Aug 31, 2012
Re: Re:

The Hitch said:
SeriousSam said:
Cool sounding anecdotes are all made up ***. All of them.
What "cool" anecdotes?

Poulidor used to appeal to middle aged French housewives. Thomas is like the British, gay version of that. Designed to appeal to middle aged male lycra warriors.
Dad humour, but not much cool about it.
cool wrt to the target audience. i just have to laugh whenever i hear one of those anecdotes because they're so obviously fabricated out of thin air

Oct 10, 2015
Re:

LaFlorecita said:
I was talking out of my arse, he did not win stage 3 of the Giro del Capo (Tour of the Cape) (who thought it was a good idea to give a South-African race an Italian name :confused: ) he came 2nd overall in 2008 though and won this 1.2 race with the same name in 2009
http://cqranking.com/men/asp/gen/race.asp?raceid=10559
What the hell , over 3 minutes advantage :D , why have Sky fans not yet pointed towards this as evidence of his talent, instead of his 382th place at the U23 Commonwealth ITT :D
Leaving Badzilla to one side, It does confuse me that people use that he was some poor backwater cyclist who knew nothing about bike racing which is one of the reasons it took him until that Vuelta to "get it". In his first Pro year he rode and finished the Tour, the Giro the year after before he came back the following year to get DQ'd, he also raced in plenty of other races on the calendar so for people to claim he lacked experience in the peloton to compete is utter rubbish.

Sep 29, 2012
Re: Re:

StryderHells said:
Leaving Badzilla to one side, It does confuse me that people use that he was some poor backwater cyclist who knew nothing about bike racing which is one of the reasons it took him until that Vuelta to "get it". In his first Pro year he rode and finished the Tour, the Giro the year after before he came back the following year to get DQ'd, he also raced in plenty of other races on the calendar so for people to claim he lacked experience in the peloton to compete is utter rubbish.
Just a friendly reminder that from 16 - 21, Froome was competing in amateur races with the biggest field on offer in South Africa:

and was crap at it.

Oct 10, 2015
Nice one @Dear Wiggo, just goes to show that he didn't lack race experience before turning pro but looking at those awful results it's easy to understand how someone trying to keep the Froome myth alive might have missed he had race experience

Re:

StryderHells said:
Nice one @Dear Wiggo, just goes to show that he didn't lack race experience before turning pro but looking at those awful results it's easy to understand how someone trying to keep the Froome myth alive might have missed he had race experience
No offence to African racing and amateur cycling in Africa but I think at that time in history it was quite a big step below racing in Europe. Sure, Froome got racing experience but I think he would have developed at a faster rate had he learned his trade at an earlier age in Europe which has a much stronger racing culture.

Don't forget that the roads are all of atrocious quality there. Because its Africa, a backward place with lions and hippos and even ostriches (or Turkeys, one of the two) constantly on the rampage, full of corruption (unlike Britain) and too poor to send its athletes abroad for international competition (lets ignore all the medals they always win).

Like Walsh, I won't pretend to have visited the areas where these races took place, but Brailsford and Froome say it is like this, and so it must be true.

Here's the thing...

Let's say for a moment that that silliness is actually true and Froome really didn't have any idea how to ride in a pack. That he really did waste all his energy just navigating it.

How does that explain his time trials going from pathetic to world beater? He's not racing any pack in them

Re:

GuyIncognito said:
Here's the thing...

Let's say for a moment that that silliness is actually true and Froome really didn't have any idea how to ride in a pack. That he really did waste all his energy just navigating it.

How does that explain his time trials going from pathetic to world beater? He's not racing any pack in them
The thing is has his TTing always been pathetic? If we go all the way back to the 2007 UCI Road World Championships Men's under-23 time trial where he finished 41st you might say that his TT result was crap at the time but then you look at the riders around him and you see Tejay Van Garderen in 38th, who you could say turned into a very good Time Trialist and similarly with Ian Standard, Gatis Smukulis and Martin Velits who finished above him.

ASK THE COMMUNITY