• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Froome Talk Only

Page 175 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Jul 10, 2013
Visit site
Der_Gestreifte said:
I'm confident they would insist that in nw way they believed the team would be doping and that they are terribly disapointed since they really believed blahblahblah...
Withdrawing from a surprisingly dirty team is good publicity, sponsoring a supposedly clean team ist good publicity - you cannot lose if you spin it the right way.

chrisb said:
Murdoch is the man behind Team Sky, Murdoch owned the Sunday World who wire tapped the parents of the 2 young girls that where murdered by Ian Huntley.

So in the days after their daughters where murdered, Murdochs paper tapped their phones. Think about that moral values of that for a second

Funding and backing a doping programme is like water off a ducks back compared to phone tapping them parents. In fact, it pales in significance to it.

Murdoch has no conscience. But he does have a bottomless pit of money that could shut ANYBODY UP

Fully aware that Murdoch is a c*nt of the highest order and everything his empire have done (in football I'm a Liverpool fan, we've boycotted the Sun since 1989)

If sky get caught doping it won't be because of any moral reasons, it'll be cold hard cash

The vast majority of people in Britain believe the British riders are clean, that's why it's being sold that way (rightly or wrongly).

It'll be extremely bad PR for Sky to still be sponsoring a team whose main rider gets caught doping.

Whether Brailsford could get another sponsor with similar resource though would be interesting

chrisb said:
Murdoch is the man behind Team Sky, Murdoch owned the Sunday World who wire tapped the parents of the 2 young girls that where murdered by Ian Huntley.

So in the days after their daughters where murdered, Murdochs paper tapped their phones. Think about that moral values of that for a second

Funding and backing a doping programme is like water off a ducks back compared to phone tapping them parents. In fact, it pales in significance to it.

Murdoch has no conscience. But he does have a bottomless pit of money that could shut ANYBODY UP

Murdoch doesn't have a clue who or what Team Sky is.

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site
MacRoadie said:
Shaking head and rolling eyes simultaneously...

What!? It's common knowledge that the wind by the Mont is always from the same direction at the same velocity. Always. Froomie even did his jedi mind trick and re-positioned the existing roads at just the correct angle to take advantage of the superior aerodynamics.

Logic Al said:
The vast majority of people in Britain believe the British riders are clean, that's why it's being sold that way (rightly or wrongly).
All the better.
Put someone on a soapbox and have him say the sponsors have been betrayed just like the people. Murdoch has the power to make them believe.

They believe Team SKY are the clean by nature and would never dope, don't they?

Jul 10, 2013
Visit site
Der_Gestreifte said:
All the better.
Put someone on a soapbox and have him say the sponsors have been betrayed just like the people. Murdoch has the power to make them believe.

They believe Team SKY are the clean by nature and would never dope, don't they?

That's likely to happen if a Sky rider gets caught

Not in their interests to be involved with a team that dopes

Also the Sky cycling team is pretty small scale in Murdoch's empire, unlikely he has much involvement in it

Jul 8, 2009
Visit site
leon7766 said:
That must be a trick question because everyone knows I haven't got the first clue about cycling .:D

Saturday I was a very happy man Sunday worried me greatly but that's what happens with clean cyclists they can be massive some days and not others and I think if the others had attacked more Froome was a goner because he had very little left

Surely you don't believe this?:confused:

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site
I have to say that reading these posts rather puts me off the idea that Froome is doping. I posted earlier that the sheer scale of Froome's dominance, in itself, caused me to doubt what is evidently so obvious to you guys. It's weird, no doubt about it but, poor me, I wouldn't mind a bit of solid confirmation (not proof, you understand).

But NOW I have to believe in grandiose conspiracy theories? The UCI is trying to tap into an economy that is on its knees? I just don't buy that. China, USA, Russia maybe, but the UK? No way. And even if the UCI were so stupid as to believe that the UK was some great market to break into - would you really choose a guy born in Kenya and raised in South Africa?

There is something strange going on here, but it isn't that.

Jul 10, 2013
Visit site
cycladianpirate said:
I have to say that reading these posts rather puts me off the idea that Froome is doping. I posted earlier that the sheer scale of Froome's dominance, in itself, caused me to doubt what is evidently so obvious to you guys. It's weird, no doubt about it but, poor me, I wouldn't mind a bit of solid confirmation (not proof, you understand).

But NOW I have to believe in grandiose conspiracy theories? The UCI is trying to tap into an economy that is on its knees? I just don't buy that. China, USA, Russia maybe, but the UK? No way. And even if the UCI were so stupid as to believe that the UK was some great market to break into - would you really choose a guy born in Kenya and raised in South Africa?

Yep, that's the way I see it

Think people are right to questin Froome/Sky, things do look dodgy

But there's not enough questioning of the what/why/how if he was doping

Jul 4, 2011
Visit site
cycladianpirate said:

Well, it's not like they can take a crack at the USA any time soon. Russia, China?? Meh. Uk seems as good as gold. Especially with the Olympics in 2012.

Also, my wife is from South Africa. Her Family doesn't follow cycling at all, but they all know who Chris Froome is now, and they all know he's in the yellow jersey.

Two countries with a combined population of over 100 million people are all of a sudden into cycling.

Jan 19, 2013
Visit site
LaFlorecita said:

I can see it now, his thinking is going something like this...the Dawg 'cracks' spectacularly on the alpe, losing 3 minutes of his lead (he's already taken another 90 seconds on Ventoux by this point), to which the response from the Sky believers is an overwhelming chorus espousing his clean credentials in light of his bad day. Because of course, if he loses time at any point the visual evidence that has built up over the last 2 years is swept under the carpet.

Book it in now. What a farce

Jul 4, 2011
Visit site
Northern Monkey said:
I can see it now, his thinking is going something like this...the Dawg 'cracks' spectacularly on the alpe, losing 3 minutes of his lead (he's already taken another 90 seconds on Ventoux by this point), to which the response from the Sky believers is an overwhelming chorus espousing his clean credentials in light of his bad day. Because of course, if he loses time at any point the visual evidence that has built up over the last 2 years is swept under the carpet.

Book it in now. What a farce

The saddest thing here is you're right. He'll pick up more time in the next ITT as well. One stage in the Alps he'll let Conta, Valverde and a few guys go and just grind it out with a couple of teammates not losing to much time. I see him winning the tour by about the same lead he has now.

chrisb said:

Murdoch & his companies' reputations are in the hole following the phone tapping problems. The last thing he wants is another company linked to a scandal.

He may have a bottomless pit of money but as soon as any other media outlet gets hold of a Sky doping story it would be feeding frenzy.

If there's one thing that we do better than deny that our boys could be cheats then its our ability to turn on a hero when he makes a mistake (or is proven to be an out and out cheat), throw in a bit of Murdoch bashing as well - it'll get ugly.

Jul 4, 2011
Visit site
wansteadimp said:
Murdoch & his companies' reputations are in the hole following the phone tapping problems. The last thing he wants is another company linked to a scandal.

He may have a bottomless pit of money but as soon as any other media outlet gets hold of a Sky doping story it would be feeding frenzy.

If there's one thing that we do better than deny that our boys could be cheats then its our ability to turn on a hero when he makes a mistake (or is proven to be an out and out cheat), throw in a bit of Murdoch bashing as well - it'll get ugly.

Bah. You guys will just say he's not British, he's Kenyan.

Kinda like when Andy Murray would lose all the time. He was Scottish, not British. NOW he's British though. ;)

luckyboy said:
Anybody seen this article by the guy who speaks like a pirate on Twitter (@veloclinic)?

Analysing Froome's Performance - wraps all the figures and w/Kg etc about his Tour so far into a single article.

If he somehow turned out to be clean then this guy is one of the most talented cyclists in history, who somehow managed to hide this for years of his career.

Good article and a major publication.

Froome is suspending the belief of many.

Agree. If Froome is clean he then is the greatest living athlete of all time.

Overall, the data suggests that the performances on AX3 fell within a range that could be expected for a relatively clean peloton with the exception of Froome. His performance on AX3 is clearly flagged as an outlier and warrants healthy rationale skepticism. Going forward, the progression of his performance should be closely followed over the rest of the Tour.