• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Froome Talk Only

Page 429 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.

stutue

BANNED
Apr 22, 2014
Visit site
nomapnocompass said:
I am staggered at just how bad Froome looks on the bike, both when he is riding and TTing. He looks worse than last year.

You say that but he's the guy winning.

Winning ways always get emulated so it'll catch on pretty quick. In fact give it a couple of years and the sight of the peloton cresting a mountain top will look like a colony of crabs emerging from the sea up onto the sand in a frenzy of pre-mating excitement

Sep 29, 2012
dearwiggo.blogspot.com.au
People complaining about how his shoe cover looks have clearly never TT'd with shoe covers before. Good grief.

Very good point re: fairing. Trek et al have a removable piece - like that one is - so triathletes can use it and UCI-compliant TTers can remove it.

Really kinda sucky that pros can use it like that where amateurs in Australia would get pinged.

May 23, 2010
Visit site
ferryman said:
JF's post is simply embarrassing. As if we Brits actually have a league of who we dislike most depending on where they come from.

That's right. The suggestion that the British openly look down there noses at anyone is a completely outdated notion.

The disdain for anything south of Calais is much more subtle these days. Collapse of the empire and all that. Isn't that right chaps?

5-0 by the way

stutue

BANNED
Apr 22, 2014
Visit site
UlleGigo said:
That's right. The suggestion that the British openly look down there noses at anyone is a completely outdated notion.

The disdain for anything south of Calais is much more subtle these days. Collapse of the empire and all that. Isn't that right chaps?

5-0 by the way

I hear racism is thriving in Australia.

May 26, 2009
Visit site
I think that JF doesn't realize something important (and that's understandable considering he has no way of knowing).

The "Anglo Saxon mentality is clean" is actually being blared out on Dutch Television. Indeed, even the Belgians comment on Garmin and Sky and how virtuous they are.

There's a nationalistic reason hidden in there: In a stride it's said North Western Europe's attitude is the same as Anglo-Saxon mentality, versus the bad Southern European mentality. Combine that with the onslaught of lies about how the Spanish and Italians (The Spanish actually had less debt than the Germans!) are causing the European crisis and you have fertile ground for these remarks.

Even if we don't look at the Anglo Saxons, the notion that Northwestern Europe is cleaner than Southern Europe is bizarre. Riis, Rasmussen, Uli, Boogerd, Dekker(1 and 2), Musseuw, Bruylandts, Telekom, Rabobank, the list goes on and on.

This is what certainly annoys me when I hear Dutch reporting about Sky. There is no ground to think a nationality or culture is more virtuous with doping than another, at least there's no evidence that supports that notion.

Exactly. Nationality has nothing to do with it. As it happens, most Brits have a far greater connection with Latin Europe than with Germanic Europe. Most Brits go south for their holidays...not to Norway, Denmark, NL etc.

Most Brit cycling fans are well aware that, prior to Wiggins/Froome/Sky, the best known of the Brit road cyclists were either proven dopers or probable dopers.

purcell said:
Truer words .....

I won't even bother turning the TV on this year.

Enough.

cycling fans are strange.

that July race: I cannot think about NOT watching the Tour de France. any rider could win, go full genius, suck, fall, troll us, loose chunk of time, flip us the bird etc...
France and July are two unmissable things. even just for the sunflowers, the melting tarmac, the Rhone, the Gave de Pau, the people...
I'd watch anyway. no way I miss the Tour even if Sella and Rebellin would fight for the win.

pastronef said:

that July race: I cannot think about NOT watching the Tour de France. any rider could win, go full genius, suck, fall, troll us, loose chunk of time, flip us the bird etc...
France and July are two unmissable things. even just for the sunflowers, the melting tarmac, the Rhone, the Gave de Pau, the people...
I'd watch anyway. no way I miss the Tour even if Sella and Rebellin would fight for the win.
What about ll Giro?

pastronef said:

I've watched every edition since Lemond Fignon on the Champs Elysees. It doesn't matter where I am, I make arrangements.

Dear Wiggo... yep, armchair tourism is a big part of the attraction.

armchairclimber said:
Exactly. Nationality has nothing to do with it. As it happens, most Brits have a far greater connection with Latin Europe than with Germanic Europe. Most Brits go south for their holidays...not to Norway, Denmark, NL

Not to mingle with their local cousins though. It's to go pink on the sun beds (with the Germans in the great towel race) before retreating to the British pub to eat pie and chips in front of the football...:D

Oct 16, 2010
Visit site
Franklin said:
I think that JF doesn't realize something important (and that's understandable considering he has no way of knowing).

The "Anglo Saxon mentality is clean" is actually being blared out on Dutch Television. Indeed, even the Belgians comment on Garmin and Sky and how virtuous they are.

There's a nationalistic reason hidden in there: In a stride it's said North Western Europe's attitude is the same as Anglo-Saxon mentality, versus the bad Southern European mentality. Combine that with the onslaught of lies about how the Spanish and Italians (The Spanish actually had less debt than the Germans!) are causing the European crisis and you have fertile ground for these remarks.

Even if we don't look at the Anglo Saxons, the notion that Northwestern Europe is cleaner than Southern Europe is bizarre. Riis, Rasmussen, Uli, Boogerd, Dekker(1 and 2), Musseuw, Bruylandts, Telekom, Rabobank, the list goes on and on.

This is what certainly annoys me when I hear Dutch reporting about Sky. There is no ground to think a nationality or culture is more virtuous with doping than another, at least there's no evidence that supports that notion.
good post.
with "dutch" reporting I reckon you mean NOS sports reporting which is truly at a deplorable level, be it wrt cycling or wrt any other sport. Incredibly naive, not witty, not intelligent.
If Dione de Graaff is your anchorman, something is terribly wrong.

Jan 27, 2011
Visit site
sniper said:
good post.
with "dutch" reporting I reckon you mean NOS sports reporting which is truly at a deplorable level, be it wrt cycling or wrt any other sport. Incredibly naive, not witty, not intelligent.
If Dione de Graaff is your anchorman, something is terribly wrong.

Even worse when Smeets happens to be commentating, or Dijkstra..

May 23, 2010
Visit site
armchairclimber said:
Exactly. Nationality has nothing to do with it. As it happens, most Brits have a far greater connection with Latin Europe than with Germanic Europe. Most Brits go south for their holidays...not to Norway, Denmark, NL etc.

Huh? Come on now. I'm not one for seriously calling anyone racist as a blanket statement but holidaying in southern Europe is related to the weather not the lack of racist beliefs.

It's like saying, 'I'm not anti-social because if I was I wouldn't holiday on Earth. Would I? I'd go to the Moon where thankfully none of you Earthy-*******s are'.

This getting way off topic but you are missing the fact that our TV is full of programmes about Italian and Spanish cooking and culture. The middle classes love all of that....buy a finca/tuscan farmhouse etc. We're not all sunburnt lager louts.

Anyway, Froome. He's either the best climber ever to get on a bike or he's up to something.

stutue

BANNED
Apr 22, 2014
Visit site
UlleGigo said:
Huh? Come on now. I'm not one for seriously calling anyone racist as a blanket statement but holidaying in southern Europe is related to the weather not the lack of racist beliefs.

But you did say:

UlleGigo said:

5-0 by the way

Would you prefer the the racism was overt like it is in Australia?

http://mobile.news.com.au/national/...dly-say-migrants/story-fncynjr2-1226862883355

http://m.smh.com.au/national/racism...nts-report-cultural-shift-20140405-365a5.html

http://www.abc.net.au/tv/dumbdrunkracist/storify/areweracist.htm

If you look closely you'll notice that all those reports are from Australian news outlets, not British ones. Most British people are ignorant of Australian racism. Until they go there. Especially if they are black.

armchairclimber said:
Most Brits go south for their holidays...not to Norway, Denmark, NL etc.
They're missing out then, Norway is an absolutely beautiful country with stunning scenery and very welcoming. If only the cost of living were more affordable there!
pastronef said:

What's the problem with Lelle? If more dopers were like him the péloton would be a better place. On the surface at least, Emanuele Sella has done more to prevent doping than white knight David Millar.

doolols said:
Cosmo mentions Froome getting help from a tailwind in the ITT.

Was there one? Or is he a Clinic reader?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aV47MQWsR0E
Could very well have been.

But froome got hindered by the wind in the Mont st Michelle tt in 2013 which would have given him the win over Martin and 4 stage wins and have the record of 3 rd fastest tdf tt ever and even more explaining for sky fans to do, so this doesnt even make up for it.

Dec 13, 2012
Visit site
The Hitch said:
Could very well have been.

But froome got hindered by the wind in the Mont st Michelle tt in 2013 which would have given him the win over Martin and 4 stage wins and have the record of 3 rd fastest tdf tt ever and even more explaining for sky fans to do, so this doesnt even make up for it.

Froome has a permanent tailwind - all that hot air coming from the Sky PR machine.

Feb 28, 2010
Visit site
Libertine Seguros said:
They're missing out then, Norway is an absolutely beautiful country with stunning scenery and very welcoming. If only the cost of living were more affordable there!

Yes Norway is perceived as being expensive, plus after our long wet, grey winters we tend to look for sun. My friends who've been to Norway loved it.

TRENDING THREADS