• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Froome Talk Only

Page 570 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
the sceptic said:
snipped...

2oBCgGO.jpg

go crazy said:
Froome weighs exactly half of what he was in that pic...:eek:

From the latest Vuelta stage:
284-PIC492635732.jpg

Jul 11, 2009
Visit site
JimmyFingers said:
Haha, good point. People would be saying 'he's always had talent'

If he looked like he does now, elbows out, just plain ugly on the bike, constantly staring at his powermeter, unable to think on his own - still f*king with his earpiece 2km out while mano-a-mano with Contador, looking at his powermeter yet again .....

No. He'd still appear a giant fraud.

Feb 28, 2010
Visit site
Fearless Greg Lemond said:
Maximilliano of the famous Checcini 1 - 2 -3 at the Atlanta Olympics? Yeah, I would take him as a reference point...

He clearly wasn't being quoted as a reference point, but here's another Sciandri quote from the article all the same: "`Everyone knows about cycling and "medicine" now he told Cycling Weekly `Everyone is sick about it. We went too far....'". Again this was from November 1996. Note he isn't saying `Others' he's saying `We'.

Feb 28, 2010
Visit site
autologous said:
If he looked like he does now, elbows out, just plain ugly on the bike, constantly staring at his powermeter, unable to think on his own - still f*king with his earpiece 2km out while mano-a-mano with Contador, looking at his powermeter yet again .....

No. He'd still appear a giant fraud.

Anquetil thought Merckx was ugly on a bike, so what. I think the way Contador climbs out of the saddle is jerky and odd, so what.

Hawkwood said:
Anquetil thought Merckx was ugly on a bike, so what. I think the way Contador climbs out of the saddle is jerky and odd, so what.

Obviously, the point is that most observers find Froome to be both lacking style and awkward to the point of being dangerous.

That you apparently don't is the exception. At some point style is not subjective. There are commonly held perceptions of what is beautiful and what is hideous, particularly on the extreme ends of that continuum.

red_flanders said:
Obviously, the point is that most observers find Froome to be both lacking style and awkward to the point of being dangerous.

That you apparently don't is the exception. At some point style is not subjective. There are commonly held perceptions of what is beautiful and what is hideous, particularly on the extreme ends of that continuum.

Wow! I Googled 'froome awkward dangerous.' The first listing stated that he was very awkward, but didn't say he was dangerous. Your post was the second listing!

laurel1969

BANNED
Aug 21, 2014
Visit site
MarkvW said:
Wow! I Googled 'froome awkward dangerous.' The first listing stated that he was very awkward, but didn't say he was dangerous. Your post was the second listing!

Sounds like only one observer thinks Froome is awkward and dangerous, then doesn't it.

red_flanders said:
Definitely. What other conclusion could be drawn?

Y'all really do need Froome to be something he's not, eh?

No, I'm just skeptical about your claim that Froome is a dangerous bicycle rider and that most observers share that view. Has that view been expressed by any member of the peloton?

Jun 19, 2009
Visit site
Awkward or not Contador's DS confirmed the strategy that would work: let Froome engineer the separation so he could be dropped without a Daisy chain for chasers to bring him back up. My guess is Valverde is now showing his overall fatigue and Rodriguez is maxed. Unless they all find a way to put Alberto at risk he'll continue to take chunks of time through to the end.

Apr 20, 2012
Visit site
roundabout said:
That's good to know.

So was he wrong?
No, but since when is doping at junior level something new? Perhaps the product at the time was new but the mindset of the scene surely wasnt.

On that note; in Holland there is a magazine that way back in 1995 mentioned cyclists using insuline and new products to fight diabetes as performance enhancer, which would lead to kidney problems, it only took the authorities about four years to see this for a fact.

Etc etc.

Hawkwood said:
He clearly wasn't being quoted as a reference point, but here's another Sciandri quote from the article all the same: "`Everyone knows about cycling and "medicine" now he told Cycling Weekly `Everyone is sick about it. We went too far....'". Again this was from November 1996. Note he isn't saying `Others' he's saying `We'.
Fair enough.

Mar 18, 2009
Visit site
MarkvW said:

So you didn't see him almost knock another rider over a couple of stages ago?

His style is awkward and can be dangerous cause he ain't looking where he is going...:eek:

laurel1969

BANNED
Aug 21, 2014
Visit site
red_flanders said:
Y'all really do need Froome to be something he's not, eh?

Irony in its purest form.

You and I might think he's as much of a cheat as the people round him on the podium, but there really is no need to make stuff up.

Dec 7, 2010
Visit site
laurel1969 said:
Sounds like only one observer thinks Froome is awkward and dangerous, then doesn't it.

Granville57 said:
Yup. Just one. Can you guess his name?

..that’s just how he rides, with his head down. I train with the guy everyday and he’s forever just riding into you, but that’s just how he rides."
laurel1969 said:
...there really is no need to make stuff up.
Still not willing to play the guessing game?

Feb 28, 2010
Visit site
red_flanders said:

Where did I post that I don't find Froome to be `...lacking style...' and `...awkward...'?

DirtyWorks said:
This is why Froome gets himself into so much trouble in the clinic. He's just poking the bear and he knows it.

Very interesting to see the "I could win 7 grand tours and that proves I'm clean" Froome is on the rebound. Not only is the alien back, but the PR alien too.

Yeh, :rolleyes: if only he had a media savvy girlfriend who could advise him what to say in his autobiography and when he's being interviewed about the vuelta.......oh wait a minute:eek:

Jul 1, 2013
Visit site
I really couldn't give a stuff what his riding style and aesthetics are like. And consider it about is irrelevant to the question of doping as it gets. Far as I know no other riders complain about him being dangerous to them, I doubt there's enough strength in those flailing arms to knock anyone off a bike anyway

He looked healthier when he was less successful, and less so now. Not surprised the toll all these crashes take, top cyclists are like a bag of bones these days

All Vuelta I've wondered if he's tried a new approach to try and peak for the third week, considering his relative problems at the conclusion of last years tour. Needless to say if that's true, and he pulls it off, this place will go berserk!

TRENDING THREADS