• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Froome Talk Only

Page 959 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Re:

Cycle Chic said:
he is looking worried though when he isnt dropping his rivals. Sh*t his pants when Chavez was up his back wheel the other stage.

Because the peloton has woken up and got back into full scale doping again. Sad to think most of the 90's riders wouldn't even keep up with the leading group in today's peloton.

Jul 10, 2009
Visit site
Is it baffling how he pedals on a lower gear, I see the high cadence, yet generates so much power??? Are we on different bikes? When I am going up a hill, the lower the gear the easier to pedal but the less power I generate. Even if I pedal to get cadence of 100, the power generation is not great and of course there is a big cardio hit. How is it Froome is defying mathematics? Maybe he needs to publish a paper on his own math.

I have talked about how someone who won the TDF still seems as fresh as daisy

Even if you are on a lower gear, if your cadence is high enough you can go faster.

You can't do the same thing Froome does, because you didn't practice it enough and your pedaling technique is probably very ineficient.

I can do the type of seated accelerations that Froome does, but I start to struggle when I go near 120 rpms. A few months a go I had a similar problem with 100 rpms, but I have been practicing it, so now I can achieve higher cadences.

The seated accelerations aren't a problem. It is just his way of doing things. Lot's of cyclists ride in different ways. Some like lower cadences and heavy gears, others don't.

There are a lot of question marks surrounding Froome's performances, I don't think this is one of them.

Re:

carolina said:
Even if you are on a lower gear, if your cadence is high enough you can go faster.

You can't do the same thing Froome does, because you didn't practice it enough and your pedaling technique is probably very ineficient.

I can do the type of seated accelerations that Froome does, but I start to struggle when I go near 120 rpms. A few months a go I had a similar problem with 100 rpms, but I have been practicing it, so now I can achieve higher cadences.

The seated accelerations aren't a problem. It is just his way of doing things. Lot's of cyclists ride in different ways. Some like lower cadences and heavy gears, others don't.

There are a lot of question marks surrounding Froome's performances, I don't think this is one of them.

Sure it is, just as it was with Armstrong. Why does this technique work better for them? Because it moves the load from the muscular system more onto the cardio-vascular system, broadly. Why is that a good thing? Well it stops muscles from getting tired as quickly, which is useful in a GT and if you have an extraordinary CV system, you're taking advantage of your best gifts.

Of course neither Froome nor Armstrong showed an extraordinary CV system (for a top GT rider) before certain transformations, so basically what it shows is the movement toward oxygen vector drugs off of whatever they might have been doing before.

Yes, the 'Egg Whisk' style as it is known in some cycling circles has defined Froome's success.

Lance Armstrong's cycling Dr./Guru/Scientist/Supplier Michele Ferrari is said to have concluded it is better to abandon the raw leg power of churning huge gears and go for an aerobic-enhanced style relying on a seemingly-unlimited supply of O2 feeding the muscles.

He then pointed Lance in the best direction of ensuring he had all the O2 in his blood he needed to keep peddling rapidly at high-cadence in a low gear.

Well, I don't do any type of drugs and I go faster on hills when I use higher cadences. I feel my legs get less tired. If I go bellow 80 rpms I start to struggle and usually the leg pain appears quicker.

I ride with several people that don't do this. One of them as asked me several times why I'm almost always seated. He doesn't feel confortable pedaling the same way I do.

Not everyone pedals the same way. Froome is so ridiculous in so many ways, but this seems pretty normal to me.

Re:

carolina said:
Well, I don't do any type of drugs and I go faster on hills when I use higher cadences. I feel my legs get less tired. If I go bellow 80 rpms I start to struggle and usually the leg pain appears quicker.

I ride with several people that don't do this. One of them as asked me several times why I'm almost always seated. He doesn't feel confortable pedaling the same way I do.

Not everyone pedals the same way. Froome is so ridiculous in so many ways, but this seems pretty normal to me.

Opinion of a Tour de France winner on the egg-beater style: http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/greg-lemond-miracles-in-cycling-still-dont-exist/
LeMond expressed doubts about Froome's high-cadence attacking style in the L'Équipe interview.
"He turned his legs at a high speed, but it's not effective and contrary to all physiological laws," LeMond is reported as saying, also dismissing the idea of Team Sky's marginal gains philosophy.

"You can't get a gap on small gears," LeMond argued.

"The great physiologist Frederick Portoleau showed that when Froome accelerates hard, his heart only shows small variations. This is troubling. What bothers me is hearing some technicians say it's science fiction, which is a kind of misinformation. Others make us believe they are ahead of the best scientists, the famous Team Sky marginal gains! What bollocks! There are no new methodologies. That is wrong. In this area too, miracles do not exist."

May 26, 2010
Visit site
Re: Re:

rick james said:
thehog said:
Cycle Chic said:
he is looking worried though when he isnt dropping his rivals. Sh*t his pants when Chavez was up his back wheel the other stage.

Because the peloton has woken up and got back into full scale doping again. Sad to think most of the 90's riders wouldn't even keep up with the leading group in today's peloton.
aye, you just made that up

http://www.climbing-records.com/2017/08/team-sky-storms-to-andorra.html

:lol:

TeflonDub said:
carolina said:

Opinion of a Tour de France winner on the egg-beater style: http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/greg-lemond-miracles-in-cycling-still-dont-exist/
LeMond expressed doubts about Froome's high-cadence attacking style in the L'Équipe interview.
"He turned his legs at a high speed, but it's not effective and contrary to all physiological laws," LeMond is reported as saying, also dismissing the idea of Team Sky's marginal gains philosophy.

"You can't get a gap on small gears," LeMond argued.

"The great physiologist Frederick Portoleau showed that when Froome accelerates hard, his heart only shows small variations. This is troubling. What bothers me is hearing some technicians say it's science fiction, which is a kind of misinformation. Others make us believe they are ahead of the best scientists, the famous Team Sky marginal gains! What bollocks! There are no new methodologies. That is wrong. In this area too, miracles do not exist."

Or alternatively listen to Lance's disbelief on the gearing used by Froome. Go to 8:20-10:40. Two guys both arch enemies and former tour winners dissing the effectiveness of the cadence/gearing used by Froome.

https://soundcloud.com/user-411867241/episode-09-stage-9-stages-a-tdf-podcast-with-lance-armstrong

Re:

rick james said:
Using lemond on here as something to back up your argument is a big no no around here

Try to play the ball, not the man. Do you have an issue with anything he said? Or just that he was the one saying it?

High cadence accelerations in incredibly low gears and numerous examples of having to freewheel through hairpins going UP mountains. Yeah, don't believe your lying eyes, what you're seeing from Froome is totes legit.

TeflonDub said:
rick james said:
Using lemond on here as something to back up your argument is a big no no around here

Try to play the ball, not the man. Do you have an issue with anything he said? Or just that he was the one saying it?

High cadence accelerations in incredibly low gears and numerous examples of having to freewheel through hairpins going UP mountains. Yeah, don't believe your lying eyes, what you're seeing from Froome is totes legit.
no I have a problem with him using LeMond as a back up to an argument, Lemond is hated on here yet when it suits some he's the big dog in cycling

and yes Froome is totes legit as you'd say

rick james said:
TeflonDub said:
rick james said:

no I have a problem with him using LeMond as a back up to an argument, Lemond is hated on here yet when it suits some he's the big dog in cycling

eh...he is a big dog...whether anyone likes it or not...

a bigger dog than either you, me or even the bold sniper.....when you're asked to be a commentator by the media I may reassess my opinion.... ;)

Jun 26, 2017
Visit site
Re:

DanielSong39 said:
Motoring along as usual?
Alone is the word. Chaves, Woods and Contador push big gear at 7.1W/kg meaning they are not motoring. Cancellara is another example of an unmotorized rider 'cause he's not spinning like an alien with an egg beater.

Oh, and everyone knows that when you stop pedalling at 20km/h, an unmotorized bike isn't freeweeling but stops immediately, unless you push bigger gear like Chaves.

miguelindurain111 said:
DanielSong39 said:
Motoring along as usual?
Alone is the word. Chaves, Woods and Contador push big gear at 7.1W/kg meaning they are not motoring. Cancellara is another example of an unmotorized rider 'cause he's not spinning like an alien with an egg beater.

Oh, and everyone knows that when you stop pedalling at 20km/h, an unmotorized bike isn't freeweeling but stops immediately, unless you push bigger gear like Chaves.

Obviously they are all doped and some of them may be using motors (though probably inferior to Froome's). But Cancellara? He's probably the one rider who is even more suspicious than Froome when it comes to motodoping.

Jun 26, 2017
Visit site

DanielSong39 said:
miguelindurain111 said:
DanielSong39 said:
Motoring along as usual?

Obviously they are all doped and some of them may be using motors (though probably inferior to Froome's). But Cancellara? He's probably the one rider who is even more suspicious than Froome when it comes to motodoping.
Cancellara ain't spinning any faster than Boonen when he drops him like a stone. Well, maybe Fabian isn't using Lemond's high cadence motor but low cadence motor used by Contador & al.

miguelindurain111 said:
DanielSong39 said:
miguelindurain111 said:
DanielSong39 said:
Motoring along as usual?

Cancellara ain't spinning any faster than Boonen when he drops him like a stone. Well, maybe Fabian isn't using Lemond's high cadence motor but low cadence motor used by Contador & al.

Cancellara went up a 19% cobblestone section at 15mph.

gillan1969 said:
rick james said:
TeflonDub said:
rick james said:

eh...he is a big dog...whether anyone likes it or not...

a bigger dog than either you, me or even the bold sniper.....when you're asked to be a commentator by the media I may reassess my opinion.... ;)

Of course he's a big dog, it's only on here that's he's hated.....unless he talks about sky :lol:

Jul 5, 2009
Visit site

rick james said:
Of course he's a big dog, it's only on here that's he's hated.....unless he talks about sky :lol:

What's with the hate thing? Lemond has been a champion since he first swung his leg over a top-tube. I can't think of a single thing he's gotten wrong about the EPO era (and beyond). Granted, he's not as eloquent or "charming" as someone like Landis or Armstrong. But he's not a raging azzhole either. The only hate I've seen directed at him was when he was actively destroying some flawed myths and it made some heads explode. Go figure. Otherwise, he's pretty much recognized as a cycling god and a good guy.

John Swanson

ScienceIsCool said:
rick james said:

What's with the hate thing? Lemond has been a champion since he first swung his leg over a top-tube. I can't think of a single thing he's gotten wrong about the EPO era (and beyond). Granted, he's not as eloquent or "charming" as someone like Landis or Armstrong. But he's not a raging azzhole either. The only hate I've seen directed at him was when he was actively destroying some flawed myths and it made some heads explode. Go figure. Otherwise, he's pretty much recognized as a cycling god and a good guy.

John Swanson
Leaving aside qualitative assessments of Lemond's cycling status, I quoted his remarks as relevant to the general principle of high-cadence, low-gear accelerations being credible. As I said, play the ball, not the man. If Rick disagrees with the merits of anything Lemond says on this subject, or if anybody has a quote from a Grand Tour winner that disgrees with Lemond's claims, I would love to hear those. That would benefit all rather than questioning whether Lemond can or cannot be quoted. Just the facts, please.

Jul 11, 2013
Visit site
I think, Froome could win everything and even beating 7 wins, he will never be the «hero» Armstrong was.

He is just too dull now.

I agree with hog on this.

It was an obvious strategy to ease the masses.

Issue is, most cycling fans dont mind the doping.
They just dont fall in love with strategic and faux pleasers that appear to be teleprompting their way through customer oriented analysis.

The UKPostal brand doesnt help him either.
Cycling, at this level is not a team sport first and foremost.

Bring back the deviant alien, and he can become legend.

rick james said:
TeflonDub said:
rick james said:

Same sort of underhand tactics often seen in political situations.

1 member of group x says something - outrage "all members of group x believe this".

Sniper says Lemond doped = "everyone on the clinic hates lemond therefore everyone is a hypocrite if another member of the clinic says something else about Lemond".

I guess your still resentful that Lemond turned on sky and started asking the same sort of questions anyone with an iq above 18 asks about why Brailsford and the whole sky setup look so dodgy.

TRENDING THREADS