• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Froome Talk Only

Page 1077 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Looks like he's as far as possible, simply recreating the TSS of riding the Vuelta again before his test. We'll assume following whatever potocol he claims to have been using for the previous 16 days in the actual race before his AAF. If his Strava rides end on day 16 or 17, that would be my guess. Saying that, if he's racing Giro he will be hitting the big miles now, not in 2 months time when it will be too late.

Poursuivant said:
Merckx index said:
I think all the people who have come out saying the case needs to be resolved quickly have had an effect. In addition to riders, former riders, team directors, et al, there have been at least three major officials, Vegni, Prudhomme, and Di Rocco. Why has Froome decided to take a lab test he probably can’t pass, and if which he doesn’t pass, will almost certainly result in a suspension that sidelines him for the Giro if not the Tour? I think it’s because of the pressure, which has affected CADF, too. The WADA code does say that hearings should be held in a reasonable amount of time, and it wouldn’t surprise me if CADF said to Froome, you either have to have a hearing before the Giro, or take it to CAS. He would probably have a better chance at CAS, but then he would have to ride with the case unsettled, and face all that negative publicity.

Is he definitely doing This test? Can't find anything on web.

Once again, he has to do it as per WADA anti-doping code.

From WADA prohibited list:

The presence in urine of salbutamol in excess of 1000 ng/mL or formoterol in excess of 40 ng/mL is not consistent with therapeutic use of the substance and will be considered as an Adverse Analytical Finding (AAF) unless the Athlete proves,
through a controlled pharmacokinetic study, that the
abnormal result was the consequence of a therapeutic dose (by inhalation) up to the maximum dose indicated above.

Rollthedice said:
Poursuivant said:
Merckx index said:
I think all the people who have come out saying the case needs to be resolved quickly have had an effect. In addition to riders, former riders, team directors, et al, there have been at least three major officials, Vegni, Prudhomme, and Di Rocco. Why has Froome decided to take a lab test he probably can’t pass, and if which he doesn’t pass, will almost certainly result in a suspension that sidelines him for the Giro if not the Tour? I think it’s because of the pressure, which has affected CADF, too. The WADA code does say that hearings should be held in a reasonable amount of time, and it wouldn’t surprise me if CADF said to Froome, you either have to have a hearing before the Giro, or take it to CAS. He would probably have a better chance at CAS, but then he would have to ride with the case unsettled, and face all that negative publicity.

Is he definitely doing This test? Can't find anything on web.

Once again, he has to do it as per WADA anti-doping code.

From WADA prohibited list:

The presence in urine of salbutamol in excess of 1000 ng/mL or formoterol in excess of 40 ng/mL is not consistent with therapeutic use of the substance and will be considered as an Adverse Analytical Finding (AAF) unless the Athlete proves,
through a controlled pharmacokinetic study, that the
abnormal result was the consequence of a therapeutic dose (by inhalation) up to the maximum dose indicated above.

Cheers

Re: Re:

pastronef said:
hfer07 said:
Fact is that South Africa does not have a credited WADA lab to begin with, and yet, He's capable of putting such kilometers in his legs already? and BTW- Is Froome being "motopaced" or is the "motor" pacing his rides?

he lived, studied, began racing and raced there. his wife has relatives there, he often travelled there in the past. he´s been winter training in South-Africa for the 4th year running, the first 2 years south africa had a working lab. from last year not anymore. every pro-rider fills his whereabouts in the ADAMS system. they know he´s there.

It doesn't have to be either/or - it can be both. Pro cyclists can live in Andorra to live at altitude and be surrounded by HC climbs, because it's a cheap tax haven, and also because the Andorran ADA have been declared non-compliant by WADA.

Same as Mt Teide - it's a wonderful winter training destination where you can climb 2,000m in one go and is only a four hour flight from Britain, and also it's a place where the Spanish ADA rarely bothered to go, and hotel staff allegedly tipped off teams when they did.

If you look at Froome's Strava profile in four years he's only used it for two periods - sporadically in last year's off-season/early season, and now suddenly he's making big consecutive blocks of GT-type workloads public (although without watts). This could be him trying to look transparent (belatedly), or it could be part of the case for the defence if they can establish he clears salbutamol more slowly in GT-type conditions.

Poursuivant said:
yaco said:
Despite the protestations of key figures in the cycling world imploring that a decision be reached sooner or later it will fall on deaf ears - Traditionally anti-doping hearings take months if not years - It will run it's course.

You think this will run past the TDF?

It certainly can. But I can't imagine Prudhomme letting Froome ride any ASO races including the Tour while the case is not closed. Question is what Vegni will do?

Jun 27, 2009
Visit site

Rollthedice said:
Poursuivant said:
yaco said:
Despite the protestations of key figures in the cycling world imploring that a decision be reached sooner or later it will fall on deaf ears - Traditionally anti-doping hearings take months if not years - It will run it's course.

It certainly can. But I can't imagine Prudhomme letting Froome ride any ASO races including the Tour while the case is not closed. Question is what Vegni will do?

I think he'd have no choice but not to accept his participation, the situation is still fluid, but my bet is no to the Giro and any ASO races..

vedrafjord said:
pastronef said:
hfer07 said:
Fact is that South Africa does not have a credited WADA lab to begin with, and yet, He's capable of putting such kilometers in his legs already? and BTW- Is Froome being "motopaced" or is the "motor" pacing his rides?

he lived, studied, began racing and raced there. his wife has relatives there, he often travelled there in the past. he´s been winter training in South-Africa for the 4th year running, the first 2 years south africa had a working lab. from last year not anymore. every pro-rider fills his whereabouts in the ADAMS system. they know he´s there.

It doesn't have to be either/or - it can be both. Pro cyclists can live in Andorra to live at altitude and be surrounded by HC climbs, because it's a cheap tax haven, and also because the Andorran ADA have been declared non-compliant by WADA.

Same as Mt Teide - it's a wonderful winter training destination where you can climb 2,000m in one go and is only a four hour flight from Britain, and also it's a place where the Spanish ADA rarely bothered to go, and hotel staff allegedly tipped off teams when they did.

If you look at Froome's Strava profile in four years he's only used it for two periods - sporadically in last year's off-season/early season, and now suddenly he's making big consecutive blocks of GT-type workloads public (although without watts). This could be him trying to look transparent (belatedly), or it could be part of the case for the defence if they can establish he clears salbutamol more slowly in GT-type conditions.

Im not convinced he's doing much different to previous years winter training, but i think there's a bit of psychology behind Froomes return to Strava to post his rides for all his rivals to see.

One things for sure, the training he's doing is what you'd expect for a big season of GT racing, not someone who thinks he's going to be sitting out the next 9 months...

brownbobby said:
vedrafjord said:
pastronef said:
hfer07 said:

Im not convinced he's doing much different to previous years winter training, but i think there's a bit of psychology behind Froomes return to Strava to post his rides for all his rivals to see.

One things for sure, the training he's doing is what you'd expect for a big season of GT racing, not someone who thinks he's going to be sitting out the next 9 months...

yes, not really different from Pinot with 1790 km in 2018
https://www.strava.com/pros/1603067

I'm pretty sure that training is normal. It's january already and the build up toward the first races should already be quite far along. Not to mention that Froome wants to peak in may this time.

I'm actually thinking of the possibility he wants to thump everyone in the Giro and then look at "but look at how hard I trained in january already"

Mar 7, 2017
Visit site
Re:

The Dawg has done the Tour Down Under last two years no way have Sky shifted off that programme without external pressure

And for years folk have been wondering how the Dawg rides that skinny all year round we're starting to get some answers eh

Busting the Dawg for salbutamol is like busting Al Capone for tax dodging

New sheriff in town just gotta get em off the streets

Wiggo's Package said:
The Dawg has done the Tour Down Under last two years no way have Sky shifted off that programme without external pressure

And for years folk have been wondering how the Dawg rides that skinny all year round we're starting to get some answers eh

He's doing the Giro this year, of course his programme is going to be different

and I don't think he rode the TDU last year anyway did he?

Poursuivant said:
yaco said:

Probably - Though I doubt Prudhomme can guarantee Froome's safety in the TDF which means his starting is problematic - And especially so if more cycling figures speak to the media.

Re:

Rollthedice said:
Olaf Ludwig, former team boss of Jan Ullrich says:

"I'm not a medical doctor, but I can not imagine how Froome wants to explain double the legal value, you can not suspend the Italian Ulissi years ago in a similar case and do nothing with Froome. Especially because he has always stood for transparency"

:lol: :lol: :lol: And sadly, You and others actually believe that?

Poursuivant said:
yaco said:

Yes, and if they have their way, it will all be swept under the rug, so he can be ball washed once again by all of his adoring, gullible fans, and the media.

Mar 7, 2017
Visit site

brownbobby said:
Wiggo's Package said:

Is he doing the Giro though? His bluff has been called

Why else is he going into the lab now (assuming that report is correct)?

And yes he did the TDU last 2 years

Wiggo's Package said:
brownbobby said:
Wiggo's Package said:

As I thought, no he didn't....

Team Sky for 2017 Tour Down Under

Owain Doull (GBr)
Sebastian Henao (Col)
Sergio Henao (Col)
Luke Rowe (GBr)
Ian Stannard (GBr)
Geraint Thomas (GBr)
Danny Van Poppel (Ned)

He rode the Herald Sun Tour, maybe that's what you were thinking of?

As for what will happen with the Giro; who knows, at this stage your guess is as good as mine, but his race schedule for 2018 is still most likely tailored around the premise that he will.

Wiggo's Package said:
brownbobby said:
Wiggo's Package said:

you should follow him more closely ;)

he rode the Herald Sun Tour last 2 years, not TDU

Aug 3, 2010
Visit site

vedrafjord said:
pastronef said:
hfer07 said:

I do not recall the specifics, but didn't South Africa declare it was a violation of human rights (or some such nonsense) to test non nationals? Meaning the UCI would have to send their own people instead of asking the NGO to do it.

Wiggo's Package said:

LIES!!!!!!!!

Re:

Rollthedice said:
On Radiocorsa, a cycling programme on Rai Sport, Beppe Conti, a journalist who's in the business since long, has a short segment "Indiscreto", sort of rumours stuff and he said that allegedly Froome will get a six month retro ban so he can start riding in March.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=N2pVYqtx3do
I saw that too.
but read it as just symptomatic of the
Italian press desperate to have a TdF winner at the Giro for once.

Jul 14, 2015
Visit site
It's the CAS decision if it comes to that. They can move it back in time all they want, WADA too. One reason would be delays not attributable to the rider. That said, feels like I've heard the name Beppe Conti one too many times..