• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Froome Talk Only

Page 1325 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Re: Re:

I can see the attraction of the ToB to Thomas - Wiggins will have given him advice on the night stages, having already done the ToB pub crawl as a recently-crowned Tour winner in 2012 - but what's in it for Froome? Is he aiming to win SPOTY's team-mate of the year prize?

Froome did the tour of south Africa to try to recreate the race conditions of the vuelta. That was a valiant attempt even though he came up short. Now he's doing the tour of Britain to keep his one fan happy. This one fan has multiple aliases and personalities and so will be unpredictable in his/her response to him 'racing' the tour of little Britain.

fmk_RoI said:
I can see the attraction of the ToB to Thomas - Wiggins will have given him advice on the night stages, having already done the ToB pub crawl as a recently-crowned Tour winner in 2012 - but what's in it for Froome? Is he aiming to win SPOTY's team-mate of the year prize?
I would expect Froome will be going to the Worlds (for the Time Trial at least) and want some racing beforehand. And it's good for the sponsors for him to show his face in UK when the opportunity arises.

Re:

topcat said:
Froome did the tour of south Africa to try to recreate the race conditions of the vuelta. That was a valiant attempt even though he came up short. Now he's doing the tour of Britain to keep his one fan happy. This one fan has multiple aliases and personalities and so will be unpredictable in his/her response to him 'racing' the tour of little Britain.

That one fan has been incredibly busy on social media in the U.K. today, filling timelines up with positive reactions to the news Froome is riding TOB this year.

Sorry if that doesn’t fit with your narrative bias :(

gillan1969 said:
did Monaco host a welcome home party for him in 2013??? :)
Indeed how much money did he have......very prescient of him to move to a tax haven before he started making any money...he knew all he had to do was diet :D

No idea when he moved to Monaco but if it was 2013 I'd have thought the new contract he signed after the notorious 2011 Vuelta was probably doing him alright.

Sep 12, 2016
Visit site
Re:

topcat said:
Wada let him off. Crooked and corrupt. Will he retire after this year? If he walks away, he might get away with it all. If he stays, he might win his fifth tdf or he could lose it all.
Why would he be more at risk to lose it all if he continues to ride? If there are grounds to strip him of wins in the past, then that damage has already been done...

wouterkaas said:
topcat said:
Wada let him off. Crooked and corrupt. Will he retire after this year? If he walks away, he might get away with it all. If he stays, he might win his fifth tdf or he could lose it all.
Why would he be more at risk to lose it all if he continues to ride? If there are grounds to strip him of wins in the past, then that damage has already been done...
Ask Lance

veganrob said:
wouterkaas said:
topcat said:
Ask Lance

the more you do it the more chance you have of making a mistake and being caught...of course after the WADA debacle he may feel untouchable...

@simoni - he moved to Monaco in 2011 pre-transformation before he was making the sort of money you need to stay in Monaco.....

fmk_RoI said:
gillan1969 said:
@simoni - he moved to Monaco in 2011 pre-transformation before he was making the sort of money you need to stay in Monaco.....
Monaco can't be that expensive. Lizzie Deignan chose to live there and there's no money in women's cycling.

Having been there a few times, I think there are some relatively inexpensive apartments on the Nice side. However, I wonder if there isn't some kind of address dodge that allows you to have a Monaco address but live nearby. It's certainly a great place to train. I was there in mid-June and saw Sky and Sunweb riders/vans out on the roads.

You can simply rent a 1 bed apartment in Monaco, you don't need to buy to be a resident although obviously if you can buy, there are more benefits financially not just purely tax on your earnings. €500,000 deposit is about all you need to be a resident. After that, just make sure you are there for 90 days per year. There's some banks that will provide the paperwork for £85k deposit however. Factor in apartment rent for the 5 or 6 years you'll need and I believe you can do it for around £235,000 for 5 years so within reach of most sports people.amd you'll earn more over the 5 years so it's a win win.

May 26, 2010
Visit site
As for living in Monaco, didn't Rebellin claim to be living in Monaco to avoid paying taxes in Italy and when investigated, yes he had an address in Moanco but spent most of his time in Italy when not racing. Got done for a couple of million euro.

So there are probably scams to get addresses in Monaco and live in nearby Nice or just near to Monaco or even your home town.

Cyclists, would never do that, as it would be cheating and we know cyclists never cheat.

Re:

Benotti69 said:
As for living in Monaco, didn't Rebellin claim to be living in Monaco to avoid paying taxes in Italy and when investigated, yes he had an address in Moanco but spent most of his time in Italy when not racing. Got done for a couple of million euro.

So there are probably scams to get addresses in Monaco and live in nearby Nice or just near to Monaco or even your home town.

Cyclists, would never do that, as it would be cheating and we know cyclists never cheat.

Kwiato is on Strava, many rides begin from the Team Sky house above Monaco. many twitter and instagram pics by Kwiato, Poels, Froome, Thomas and co are from the Cote d'Azur. I'd say they live in Monaco.
I know it would be more fair to endure British and Polish weather, well, you can't have it all :p

Not sure why you would need to apply for residency under a scam as £500K is affordable by most sports people. It's a relatively simple cross-reference between the bank who provides a reference letter of necessary funds deposited, proof of accommodation address in Monaco and matching electricity contract for that address every 12 months and an interview. If you have the right contacts with the banks, you can get the bank to write the reference for as little as £85K.

Re:

samhocking said:
Not sure why you would need to apply for residency under a scam as £500K is affordable by most sports people. It's a relatively simple cross-reference between the bank who provides a reference letter of necessary funds deposited, proof of accommodation address in Monaco and matching electricity contract for that address every 12 months and an interview. If you have the right contacts with the banks, you can get the bank to write the reference for as little as £85K.

Paul Manafort disagrees with you :cool:

Once more the hopes and dreams of Clinicians that Froome will hang up his wheels are wrecked on the rocks of reality:
I’m not finished, when I get to end of my career, I could be able to say, but at the moment I still have a lot to achieve and race for. At the moment, I don’t think about it, there’s still a lot I want to do.

Re:

fmk_RoI said:
Once more the hopes and dreams of Clinicians that Froome will hang up his wheels are wrecked on the rocks of reality:
I’m not finished, when I get to end of my career, I could be able to say, but at the moment I still have a lot to achieve and race for. At the moment, I don’t think about it, there’s still a lot I want to do.

or ... "I've got a wife, 2 kids & a cat to support!"

Robert5091 said:
fmk_RoI said:

or ... "I've got a wife, 2 kids & a cat to support!"

I don't think you need to worry about his ability to do that...he's doing ok ;)

TRENDING THREADS