• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Frustrated and confused!....with cycling!!

Jun 4, 2009
Visit site
I've been riding nearly 12 months. During that time I would have riden 2500kms. When I started I was able to average 26kms per hour for upto 1 hour of riding. Now I can average 29-30kms per hour for up to 2 hours. Included in my rides [50% of my rides] I would do some hill work.
Prior to Xmas I was in great shape. I thrived for the hills and really enjoyed the challenge of getting up them and doing as much hill work as possible. Since Xmas I have found it hard, physically, on the same hills. I would say that I'm still riding as much and doing the same amount of hill work. I have put on about 3 kilos since Xmas. Could this be the reason?
All in all my improvement has stopped and I want to continue to improve. Am I being impatient?
In summary, I'm 46, weigh 85 kilos, 6ft 2in tall.
Appreciate your thoughts.

Yes, 3 kilos will slow you down on hills (and even on the flats, though not much).
You sound like recently you've been doing similar rides. Take a little break, come back, rebuild and do more than you did previously. Maybe this year try 3500k...some longer rides (no need to smash yourself on every ride...you should be riding slow sometimes!). In fact, you might be getting a touch stale if you're always training at the same sort of intensity. Most new riders end up going medium-hard all the time, instead of picking a few rides per week to really make some gains. Vary your riding. Hope this gets the ball rolling. Anyone else think the same?

Oct 28, 2009
Visit site
Weight doesn't affect your training as much as people think, but the factors that allowed you to gain the weight has(not the same thing). Even more, age plays the biggest factor in terms of recovery and muscle memory.
Cycling is a sport that favours young people in terms of competitive power and optimal performance. Skill also plays a big factor since cycling's a sport of physical momentum, and your skill to be able to use this momentum will provide best results.
Those who have raced since they were kids know this which is why they are able to keep riding well as middle aged riders even if they're fat.

Jul 7, 2009
Visit site
Don't be frustrated and confused. Enjoy your time on the bike.We have similar stats, though I am 9 years older. I usually ride five or six days a week.I am psychologically stuck at two hour rides. Maybe because there's a good two hour route by me.
The first 15 to 30 mins. in the small ring, with a high cadence. The last 90 minutes in the big ring. I try and outdo myself as the year progresses. Keep in mind, it's about enjoying riding a bike.
I don't think either of us are going to get paid to ride a bike.

Jul 2, 2009
Visit site
dsc04338_600.jpg

Jul 22, 2009
Visit site
iwannabeabiker said:
I've been riding nearly 12 months. During that time I would have riden 2500kms. When I started I was able to average 26kms per hour for upto 1 hour of riding. Now I can average 29-30kms per hour for up to 2 hours. Included in my rides [50% of my rides] I would do some hill work.
Prior to Xmas I was in great shape. I thrived for the hills and really enjoyed the challenge of getting up them and doing as much hill work as possible. Since Xmas I have found it hard, physically, on the same hills. I would say that I'm still riding as much and doing the same amount of hill work. I have put on about 3 kilos since Xmas. Could this be the reason?
All in all my improvement has stopped and I want to continue to improve. Am I being impatient?
In summary, I'm 46, weigh 85 kilos, 6ft 2in tall.
Appreciate your thoughts.

200 kms a month @ 25 kms p h means 8 hours per month- maybe you missed a zero, otherwise I'd say you just need to get out there and ride more.

Nov 9, 2009
Visit site
I'd say you are going about it the wrong way. It's easy to fall in to the trap of thinking that you need to be going faster or longer at your fastest speed all the time, concentrating on strength. All that tends to do is blunt your speed and neg you out. Try doing some four hour rides at 20-25kph once or twice a week in a medium gear that you can spin, do another couple of hour long rides at a quick pace and throw in some flat out sections within those. Combine that with not eating between meals and you will be fresher, leaner and faster soon enough.

Take it from there and keep mixing it up.

Mar 18, 2009
Visit site
HongKongPhooey said:
I'd say you are going about it the wrong way. It's easy to fall in to the trap of thinking that you need to be going faster or longer at your fastest speed all the time, concentrating on strength. All that tends to do is blunt your speed and neg you out. Try doing some four hour rides at 20-25kph once or twice a week in a medium gear that you can spin, do another couple of hour long rides at a quick pace and throw in some flat out sections within those. Combine that with not eating between meals and you will be fresher, leaner and faster soon enough.

Take it from there and keep mixing it up.

This is mostly correct, but not the not eating between meals. Eat small amounts frequently for leanness to reduce your appetite and the amount you eat, especially for dinner. Ideally eat 20-25% of your total daily calories at breakfast, lunch and dinner, and the remainder during snacks between meals.

Apr 10, 2009
Visit site
42x16ss said:
I don't think it's his ;). Unless Tubular Glue is Graeme Obree, or has stolen his bike for a crack at the Hour Record of course...

Wouldn't surprise me - tubularglue knows what he is talking about and the photo is a bit
..... personal.

OP Not enough kilometres, and are you riding alone or with a group?
Riding through the winter is good, you should be flying later but keep it
varied and interesting. It shouldn't become a chore.

Jun 4, 2009
Visit site
Thanks for the replies.
I like the "big ring" theory so I'll try it and see how it goes.
In general I think my biggest problem is the amount of time I spend riding [as pointed out in an earlier reply]. Having a fulltime job and a young family makes it impossible to spend evenings and weekends riding.
I just need to be a little more realistic with my expectations. Still it's one of the best activities I've taken up in the last 30 years.
Happy riding!

TRENDING THREADS