• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Fully doped cycling? 65km TDF Stage 17

Should be nuts. Froome no doubt will implement the motor, RoboLanda might attack from he start, Valverde might just win by attacking his teammates? Whatever happens it should be an all out moto & doping fest into the 7.0w p/kg! :lol:

jgjjg0.jpg

Wednesday, 25 July 2018 – The 17th stage of the Tour de France goes to the summit of the Col de Portet. The route is only 65 kilometres long, but 38 kilometres of it runs uphill. Although being the shortest road stage of the 2018 Tour, this could very well turn out to be the hardest. The race ends with a sweeping 16 kilometres haul to the top of the Portet.

The shortest stage in last year’s Tour went to Foix and was a sensational ride. The race offered fireworks from start to finish before Warren Barguil outsprinted Nairo Quintana, Albert Contador and Mikel Landa on the line.

The 17th stage of the 2018 Tour de France begins in Bagnères-de-Luchon and the first peak is crested at kilometre 15. The climb up the Montée de Peyragudes is 14.9 kilometres, so it’s all systems go once the flag is dropped. To pep up the start riders are lined up as in a Formula 1 race. The starting grid features the top 20 in the first group (yellow jersey obviously on the first line). The rest of the field starts in four groups behind them, depending on the rider’s position on GC. So, as the route goes uphill straight away, top 20 riders can put pressure on their rivals and fly up the climb. Some GC-riders will want to wait for their domestics, other perhaps will not…

The Montée de Peyragudes consist of two climbs, the Peyresourde and the actual Peyragudes. The Col de Peyresourde is 13.7 kilometres at 6.9%. Last year it was the run-in to the finale at Peyragudes Altiport. On the steep arrival Romain Bardet bested his rivals, while Mikel Landa left his then leader Chris Froome behind.

Unlike last year, the riders turn left after the Peyresourde to move past the altiport and crest the Peyragudes after another 1.2 kilometre of climbing. The full 14.9 kilometres of the climb are averaging before the route drops down to Loudenvielle.

The second climb is the Col de Val Louron-Azet, which is a 7.4 kilometres toil at 8.3%. The KOM points are up for grabs where Claudio Chiappucci took a stage victory back in 1991. This time, the riders have 38 kilometres left to race.

Following the descent to Saint-Lary-Soulan the riders face one more challenge, which is the extremely demanding closing climb to the summit of the Col de Portet. The 16 kilometres ascent is averaging 8.7%, while the second, third ánd last kilometre are the steepest sectors, all with double digits gradients. Only one moment of respite for the tired legs when the climb flattens out to a false flat after 7 kilometres. Yet, this section is only 400 metres…

The first three riders on the line win time bonuses of 10, 6 and 4 seconds. The intermediate sprint (at kilometre 27.5) does not come with a time bonus.

https://www.cyclingstage.com/tour-de-france-2018-route/stage-17-tdf-2018/

In an interview (either yesterday or today) Valverde did make the comment (and I'm paraphrasing), win or lose we (referring to himself, Landa and Quintana) will put on a show. Now if they all wait til the end it is likely Valverde wins it in a sprint. LOL

Re:

Koronin said:
In an interview (either yesterday or today) Valverde did make the comment (and I'm paraphrasing), win or lose we (referring to himself, Landa and Quintana) will put on a show. Now if they all wait til the end it is likely Valverde wins it in a sprint. LOL

The key is because of the F1 line up at the start does the team leader wait for his team on climb 1? Or just ride it out?

Re: Re:

thehog said:
Koronin said:

The key is because of the F1 line up at the start does the team leader wait for his team on climb 1? Or just ride it out?

That'll be interesting. It will also be interesting to see which teams have how many riders in that group. If all goes well for Movistar they will have their big 3 in that group and possibly either Soler or Amador (maybe). Bahrain might be able to have one or both of the Izagirre brothers in that group with Nibali. Then how many Sky riders are there.

Re:

silvergrenade said:
God only knows why this thread is in the clinic :confused:

As for genius...Expecting Froomey to put 10 minutes into everyone. ;)

I think because of the motor and doping comment in the very first post. I think the original poster was trying to start a conversation based on that, the rest of us didn't follow that.

It's dangerous to guess someone's motives in a nuance-poor environment such as an online forum, but I think the objection is to the use of a derogatory term for a mental handicap as a "humorous" way of referring to illegal activities.

And if that was the objection, I totally agree with it.

Koronin said:
thehog said:
Koronin said:

That'll be interesting. It will also be interesting to see which teams have how many riders in that group. If all goes well for Movistar they will have their big 3 in that group and possibly either Soler or Amador (maybe). Bahrain might be able to have one or both of the Izagirre brothers in that group with Nibali. Then how many Sky riders are there.

Team placings will be crucial unless Froome wants to go it alone. Although startup with a climb it’s going to be hard to wait for teammates.

Re:

Alex Simmons/RST said:
I'd prefer the use of the term "genius" to be dropped.

I agree, that "full genius" thing should be reallly be retired.

Tropic Thunder is a surprisingly funny movie, but it was intentionally offensive even then, and it's definitely not funny imo when used in this context, non-ironically.

Re:

Escarabajo said:
This stage could be the true reason why Sky put Bernal in the line up.

Agreed but i think this has got Landa or Porte written all over it.

The 200 rider warm up on rollers should be fun to watch :cool:

There's to be space at the start for every team to warm up on rollers, so that no neutralised section is needed. Then comes the special start-line arrangement. The yellow jersey will be front and centre, with the second-placed rider a few metres to his left, and the third-placed rider a few metres to his right - and so on, with the top ten riders on the front row of the grid.

thehog said:
Escarabajo said:

There's to be space at the start for every team to warm up on rollers, so that no neutralised section is needed. Then comes the special start-line arrangement. The yellow jersey will be front and centre, with the second-placed rider a few metres to his left, and the third-placed rider a few metres to his right - and so on, with the top ten riders on the front row of the grid.

I agree with Landa and Porte's name on it. It'll be interesting if Movistar can keep Soler in the top 20 as well, because if he's also there he'll have no problem going with Landa as that's how he won the Paris-Nice.

thehog said:
Escarabajo said:

Why are these 2 posts in the clinic? They should be in a race thread.... rollers and talk of Bernal don’t have anything to do with doping....what a waste of time this thread is

Re:

ebandit said:
how berto woulda loved such a stage....perfect opportunity to derail the team sky train

so who's gonna do it this year?

probably G.....sorry! dawg my doping trumps your 'powder puff' effort

Mark L

ps saw G on local roads here in TT championship....he were flying.............
Flying you say, another marginal gain by sky that the others haven’t caught on with

Re: Full genius cycling? 65km TDF Stage 17

It is a fascinating stage, leg-sapping climbs but cut to about one-third the length of a regular grand tour stage so that everyone is "fresh" when the climbs begin. I would have enjoyed seeing this raced in the 2011 TDF, which, to me, was the last year in which the peloton seemed to step back a little from PEDs (not clean, mind you, but maybe cleanish) -- possibly in reaction to LA's coming under fire from Landis's book and the USADA hammer, the unknown in that regard, and also Contador's clenbuterol case decision. (If the big fish could be caught, was this a warning shot to everyone?) The following year, the TDF became a drag and a circus, but not a drag circus, which would have been more entertaining. This year, on this stage, Froome will raise his middle finger to maximum altitude and put 5 minutes into whoever's second.

rick james said:
thehog said:
Escarabajo said:

Why are these 2 posts in the clinic? They should be in a race thread.... rollers and talk of Bernal don’t have anything to do with doping....what a waste of time this thread is
Because is the only thread that talks about the 65 kilometer stage. I thought it was obvious. You can open a thread in the other forum and we can talk about it there. :)

Will somebody be able to break the 6 watts/kilogram in the last climb?
In the 90's we would be looking at 6.4 watts/kilogram in these type of climbs. Then it came down a bit. But I predict that nobody will break the 6 watts/kilogram barrier at the Col du Portet.

TRENDING THREADS