• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Gadret's flicking Roche = the real crime

Lost in the hysterics over Contador vs. Schleck was John Gadret's shafting of his teammate Nicolas Roche. Far more obvious, deliberate and criminal! :mad:

I wrote it up here, but suffice to say that Roche firstly tweeted about it (before deleting the message - archived it @pappillon blog, along w/ creepy pic of Gadret) and then delivered a haymaker of a column for the Irish Indy in which he basically said that if Gadret was found dead on the morning of the 20th, he should be suspect #1!

I'm sorry, but Contador/Schleck is much ado about nothing, save for the fact that the Yellow Jersey prematurely changed hands.

The feud that's exploded between Roche and his French teammate Gadret is nuclear.

Thoughts?

Mar 31, 2010
Visit site
I already posted topic with the article. although I say Roche is a coward for not confronting him with it but only saying it online. lavenu was mad at gadret.

May 6, 2009
Visit site
That is worse then what Contador "did" to Schleck. At least those two are rivals and are both trying to win the race, but that is disgraceful by Gadret. If Roche's contract is up, I hope he tells them to shove their new contract where the sun doesn't shine, especially if Gadret doesn't leave the team.

Gadret = WAC (What A ****)

May 3, 2010
www.ror-zone.com
Perhaps it comes from the term flicking the finger.. ie the middle finger? Hope Roche pushes him off on the descent and claims his tires burst again and so lost control... justice bahn stye.

May 26, 2010
Visit site
I reckon Gadret feels he should be team leader and not Roche and wants to demonstrate it with a better performance than Roche in the TdF.

If Gadret gets a puncture today will the first team car stop or let him wait for the second team car?

Be interesting to see how it plays out. Roche for a new team next year, anyone. Sky?

Well, it certainly is stupid of Gadret, and I really don't understand his thinking.

I could understand, although I wouldn't agree, if there was still the opportunity for a stage victory (which individually is IMO more significant than Roche finishing 13th vs. 17th overall)... But the stage win was already long gone by the time of incident.

Jul 18, 2009
Visit site
I was amused at his comments about wanting to put his head through the window of the bus. Perhaps he should have just attacked him with a front wheel and incurred a minimal fine.

I think he should make it public. You'd certainly think twice about signing Gadret as a domestique now.

It was on an asphalt climb, with a sponsored bike, front tire? Just keep riding in stead of waiting by the road. He knew how far the team car was, and that Mavic isn't the best of help. How much time can you lose in the 3 minutes it takes the help to reach you, as you soldier on?
Even on an MTB, superlight 2.35" tire, one can keep riding at decent pace, let alone on an asphalt climb. A flat tire is not the end of the world. Sit back, shift down, pedal hard. A 23mm road tire, let alone a tubular, isn't that bad to ride on. It hurts your cycling heart to roll on the (probably carbon) rim, but HEY, you're in the TdF for crying out loud.

I am still of the opinion that punctures on a pro road bike are an untimed voluntary affair. MTB amateurs don't even flat anymore, and that's after they failed to even mount innertubes in non-tubeless specific tires. A little bit of liquid sealent goes such a long way against punctures. And everyone's bike is 6.8kg anyway. Flatting is a choice.

Oct 18, 2009
Visit site
Cloxxki said:
It was on an asphalt climb, with a sponsored bike, front tire? Just keep riding in stead of waiting by the road. He knew how far the team car was, and that Mavic isn't the best of help. How much time can you lose in the 3 minutes it takes the help to reach you, as you soldier on?
Even on an MTB, superlight 2.35" tire, one can keep riding at decent pace, let alone on an asphalt climb. A flat tire is not the end of the world. Sit back, shift down, pedal hard. A 23mm road tire, let alone a tubular, isn't that bad to ride on. It hurts your cycling heart to roll on the (probably carbon) rim, but HEY, you're in the TdF for crying out loud.

I am still of the opinion that punctures on a pro road bike are an untimed voluntary affair. MTB amateurs don't even flat anymore, and that's after they failed to even mount innertubes in non-tubeless specific tires. A little bit of liquid sealent goes such a long way against punctures. And everyone's bike is 6.8kg anyway. Flatting is a choice.

Well thats a real laugh. I'll remember you next time I see a pro pumping it up an hors categorie climb with a flaming flat tire.
;)

online-rider said:
Well thats a real laugh. I'll remember you next time I see a pro pumping it up an hors categorie climb with a flaming flat tire.
;)

Hey, that's the difference of the ear pieces. You tell them you need a wheel. there will be car honking, and before you've lost the group you were in from sight, you have a fresh front wheel in your bike.
Am I over-simplfying things?

Roche's fault to flat in the first place. I just don't see a need for it. He needs to instruct his mechanic better. It's not rocket science, you know. Wrenching a bike requires no academic diploma, just a bit of up to date knowledge (tire sealent has been here since the Jet plane, give or take a year).

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site
I guess this is what happens when you have a mediocre team leader. Roche is destined to become a super domestique once he realises he can't hang with the big boys.

Still a scumbag reaction by Gadret though. Question is what does AG2R do? Stick with the Frenchie or give Roche the flick? They cant ride in the same team after this.

Oct 18, 2009
Visit site
I'm not trying to be a pain in the *** here but we ought to cut Gadret some slack for :
1. Training his balls off to turn pro.
2. Being able to match the worlds best climbers in the pinnacle of his sport
And then,
3. Not wanting to blow what would probably be the best performance of his entire season if not career to date by giving his front wheel to a guy so that He can go on and consolidate his 14th place. :D

It's all very well offering your wheel to alberto contador or Jurgen van den Broek but to be honest I wouldn't give my wheel to Roche in that situation (Although I admit he should have had it, by rights).

Mar 11, 2009
Visit site
I hope Gadret's contract doesn't run out at the end of the year, because he'll have a hard time finding a new team if he can't be trusted to follow his DS's orders and work for his leader, especially after being given a leading role himself at the Giro!

Ryo Hazuki said:
I already posted topic with the article. although I say Roche is a coward for not confronting him with it but only saying it online. lavenu was mad at gadret.

Based on Roche's statements, I'd say that it was best that he stay as far from Gadret as possible to avoid the inevitable incarceration that would result from his uncontrollable rage. He took the high road and let his manager handle it. Gadret's actions leave me speechless. What did he seek to gain?
He obviously wasn't thinking ahead especially about how it impacts his future in the sport.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts