• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Garmin cannondale

Page 6 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Fork-in-the-Road said:
Agreed. But he will get very minimal support with that Garmin collection this year.
I think that worse riders than Langeveld have done better in the classics probably because they take more risks to pull of some sort of result; just look at what guys like Turgot (2nd Roubaix), Roelandts (3rd Flanders), Bak (5th Roubaix), Tjallingii (3rd Roubaix) have done in the past... None of them is better than Langeveld but they all have better top results

Fork-in-the-Road said:
Agreed. But he will get very minimal support with that Garmin collection this year.
Let's wait and see. Koren and Van Baarle may pull out a decent performance here and there on cobbles.

W4llenquist said:
Looks like they have intentionally started the season later then everyone. Let's give them some time. Talansky rode his first race of the season, wasn't expecting much for him despite he was saying his goal is GC in PN. Hesjedal and Martin always starts pretty slow, Formolo was sick before Tirreno.

Navardauskas has a chance in MSR, last year he was eleventh and seems to be improving in sprints generally. And then there are cobbles with Langeveld as one of the favorities.
I hope you're right and we will see massive improvement from the team soon. But they have some good names onboard, so it would be nice to see at least one of them performing well by mid March. Catalunya is the race where Garmin usually performed well as a team. They're sending a strong roster there again. I hope it will look far better than P-N or T-A for them.

I think Dan Martin will show some good results soon, he will be fine.
Talansky should also be able to shine in Spain.
Navardauskas... We will see. He is in good form, but I am not sure about his quickness in sprints actually. He will need some help to show himself at MSR close to the Top Ten.

Mar 14, 2009
Visit site
While C'Dale has many young talented riders with a bright future I just dont see anyone other than D.Martin that can deliver immediate results.

Talansky is talented and has potential, but I think it will take a few years before he will be able to deliver major results. We all know that his Dauphiné win last year was a bit of lack. Unfortunately, IMO he is a little hot-headed and cant keep calm under pressure and therefore I would not expect anything else than a maybe stage win here and there.

Danielson and Hasjedal are past their prime and the rest is just too young.

It will be a tough season for JV ...

Re: Re:

HelloDolly said:
But have you seen the other team competing ?? wil be hard for Cannodale to get a top result with Contador, Froome, Valverde, Porte, TJVG, Ag2r, Aru, etc
What's the point? I'm not saying Cannondale will dominate this race.

Jancouver said:
While C'Dale has many young talented riders with a bright future I just dont see anyone other than D.Martin that can deliver immediate results.
It depends on how do you understand a "results" term. If you're thinking of a podium in GT or monument, then you are probably right. But there are riders out there who could deliever plenty of WT points. Langeveld finished in the top10 every cobbled monument since 2013. Slagter already won a WT race and could have won the second one if he didn't have mechanical on that crucial stage of Paris-Nice last year. And he was double top6 in Ardennes last year. Talansky already has several top3 finishes overall in one-week stage races at the WT level and two top10 in GTs when he was still before his prime. And Navardauskas is the man capable of stealing some valuable results here and there. Add Martin and there is enough power in the team to ensure they're in the mid-pack of WT teams this year. But for some reason, they're not delievering results so far this year.

And Talansky... I think he just needs to be in the right place at the right time. I don't believe he was incapable of reaching last year's Pinot's TdF level, and that turned out to be enough for a TdF podium.

Re:

Anderis said:
Just saw Cannondale's provisional roster for Catalunya. Wow, 8 climbers! :D

Given the Catalunya route, 8 climbers are far less relevant than 8 descenders...

The rest of the start list seems to deep for any of Garmin's to win on their own legs. Someone may get into a late stage 3 flyer that the favorites let go. Probably the best chance to avoid GC riders' concern.

Team roster, for reference
51 MARTIN Daniel IRL
52 HESJEDAL Ryder CAN
53 ACEVEDO COLLE Janier Alexis COL
54 CARDOSO Andre Fernando S. Martins POR
55 DANIELSON Thomas USA
56 DOMBROWSKI Joseph Lloyd USA
57 HOWES Alex USA
58 TALANSKY Andrew USA

Jul 11, 2013
Visit site
I read Martin said he or Cardoso will be going for a podium spot, so a lot of expectation for this race. I guess if it doesn't go their way in the first few days, we might see Hesjedal in the break.

Jul 11, 2013
Visit site
Re: Re:

Anderis said:
Unsytherhino said:
I read Martin said he or Cardoso will be going for a podium spot, so a lot of expectation for this race.
Nothing against Cardoso, he is really solid rider, but I find it hard to believe he has made such a big progress that will allow him to fight for podium in races like Catalunya.

He had a good Giro last year in support of Hesjedal and also in well the Vuelta supporting Martin, perhaps he's been given the chance in Catalunya to see what he can do as a co-team leader, should he lose time, he'll be back to domestique duties for Martin.

Yeah, he had a good Giro and Vuelta, but all he was capable of was around 20th place in GC (I don't believe he could've done that much better focusing on himself). He is usually very consistent climber, but he doesn't seem to be very explosive rider for shorter climbs, neither seem to have extraordinary descend abilities. It's really hard to see him finishing anywhere near the podium in the race with such a strong opposition, unless he has made some big progress compared to last year.

Poor showing from them today in Catalunya. They really suck hard in crosswinds always seem to miss the right split. The team missed the split 3 times today (first two times it came back together). Talansky (15th in GC before this stage) had a flat just before the echolons started for the 3rd time and they let some teammates wait and left Martin isolated, a very strange decision imo, and they *** up a possible GC win/podium for Martin.

Cannondale Garmin had a very poor showing today ....To leave a possible winner in crosswins to wait for a puncture rider who has no chance of winning is worse than madness ...I wonder if there is a bit of rivalry between Dan Martin & Andrew Talansky ...Martin praised Tomy Danellson the other day but not Talansky?? Talansky didn't go after Pozzo , ?? Martin has always been forthcoming about firneds in the tema but never mentions Talansky ...Juts wonder if its nothing or rivalry

Cannondale Garmin had a very poor showing today ....To leave a possible winner in crosswins to wait for a puncture rider who has no chance of winning is worse than madness ...I wonder if there is a bit of rivalry between Dan Martin & Andrew Talansky ...Martin praised Tomy Danellson the other day but not Talansky?? Talansky didn't go after Pozzo , ?? Martin has always been forthcoming about friends in the team but never mentions Talansky ...Just wonder if its nothing or rivalry

Things are starting to look a bit better for Cannondale now. They got their first win of the season before the two other WT teams. Bauer finally scored some WT points at E3 Harelbeke. And the team is looking decently in Catalunya, although the final result will probably not turn out to be as good as it could be. They also got themselves ahead of FDJ in CQ team ranking for 2015.

There appears to be some rejuvenation in the team recently.

Jun 30, 2014
Visit site
Re:

HelloDolly said:
Cannondale Garmin had a very poor showing today ....To leave a possible winner in crosswins to wait for a puncture rider who has no chance of winning is worse than madness ...I wonder if there is a bit of rivalry between Dan Martin & Andrew Talansky ...Martin praised Tomy Danellson the other day but not Talansky?? Talansky didn't go after Pozzo , ?? Martin has always been forthcoming about friends in the team but never mentions Talansky ...Just wonder if its nothing or rivalry
Apparently Talansky and Martin dislike eachother, they both wand to be the sole leader.

Jun 9, 2014
Visit site
Re:

HelloDolly said:

Love Martin, but I don't think it's fair to blame Talansky. Danielson is 37 and hasn't been at the top level for a couple of years now. What would be praise for Danielson would just be patronising to Talanksy who did no more and no less than would be expected.

I can't believe how dreadful season for Cannondale it is. It seems Vuelta al Pais Vasco is another WT stage race in which they will do absolutely nothing GC-wise. Stage wins are also unlikely barring a lucky breakaway. I wonder if this is going to last to the end of the season.

Re:

Anderis said:
I can't believe how dreadful season for Cannondale it is. It seems Vuelta al Pais Vasco is another WT stage race in which they will do absolutely nothing GC-wise. Stage wins are also unlikely barring a lucky breakaway. I wonder if this is going to last to the end of the season.

Talansky looked extremly good during the first stages, but crashed hard today... What a pitty....

TRENDING THREADS