• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Garmin cannondale

Page 7 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
I don't see how is he getting better. He started the season very strongly with 3rd in Trofeo Andratx-Mirador d'Es Colomer. After that, he has been showing pretty much constant level all the time. Is 32nd in LBL or 24th in Pais Vasco sign of getting better, when he was 27th in Tirreno already in the mid March? He was good in one-day races last year so I can't see how getting 32nd is a sign of anything in these circumstances.

Although I would be really glad if he is having a good Giro.

Mar 14, 2009
Visit site
pastronef said:
Talansky wins the USA TT Champ!

I cheer up after the bad TT for Porte

(I always root for the most hated riders :D )

Haha, you pretty much picked a Porte's twin.

They have a lot in common. Good time trial, good climbing etc.

Unfortunately they are also both a coo-coo in their heads and quite mentally unstable. We all know Porte's current Giro story, now watch for Talansky to mentally blow up during the TDF. :eek:

On the other hand, always wondering why the US TT course is so "short" ... :confused:

Jancouver said:
pastronef said:
Talansky wins the USA TT Champ!

I cheer up after the bad TT for Porte

(I always root for the most hated riders :D )

Haha, you pretty much picked a Porte's twin.

They have a lot in common. Good time trial, good climbing etc.

Unfortunately they are also both a coo-coo in their heads and quite mentally unstable. We all know Porte's current Giro story, now watch for Talansky to mentally blow up during the TDF. :eek:

On the other hand, always wondering why the US TT course is so "short" ... :confused:

I always laugh when fans become psychologists :D

anyway, if a rider had some problems, would it not be good to see him overcome them, seeing Talansky make a strong ride in the Tour, stay there in the top10 and not *** it?
some fans are ready to kick riders when they are on the ground

So things have got a little bit better for the team during May. Hesjedal's 5th overall in Giro is better than I expected. Formolo got a stage win and the rest of the team has secured some decent results in races like California and Bayern-Rundfahrt. They currently sit 13th in CQ 2015 team ranking, so it's not as disastrous as it was several weeks ago, although a couple of wins would make things look a bit better. The team was winning a monument or GT each year between 2011-2014, but that's unlikely to continue in 2015. It would be nice to win a race overall at a WT level this year, but it seems to be a bit of a challange.

Now I'm curious to see who will make it into the TdF final roster. Considering both TTT and cobbles appear during the race, guys like Langeveld, Van Baarle, Bauer and Koren should be very useful. I think the last of them would be least likely to make it based on recent form, but he is probably the best climber among them, so who knows. Then you have Navardauskas and Haas to work on flat and easier hills. But that makes 6 "flat" guys worthy of being in the team. Probably only 4 of them will be there. Maybe 5, if Vaughters thinks it's better to have stronger team to work on flat. Or maybe 3 if the balance is set to be more towards climbing.

Then you have Talansky, who was intended to be a team's leader for GC, but Martin has proved in last year's Vuelta that he can go for a top10 GC in a GT and the route suits him very much with little ITT, a lot of short climbs and time bonuses. And Hesjedal, who exceeded expectations during the Giro will also target TdF. He came to France in very good shape in 2012 after strong Giro, but unfortunately he crashed out and we couldn't see if he was able to keep that throughout another 3 weeks race. All 3 should make into the roster, but then it will make it sophisticated about who should be protected etc. so I would not be surprised if one of them is moved to the Vuelta.

Who should be the rest of climbing support? Probably Andre Cardoso, who is very steady rider and was intended to do a Giro-Tour from the beginning of the season. You also have Ben King and Howes who made it into the team last year. King seems to be doing quite well recently, but Howes was a bit nowhere this season. Joe Dombrowski has made enough this season to deserve a place in TdF roster IMO, but he is set to ride Vuelta and Osterreich-Rundfahrt from what I have read recently. Don't know if Acevedo or Slagter can recover after Giro to be included in this consideration. The Colombian is nowhere near his best this season anyway. Neither is Slagter, but at least he made a Top10 in La Fleche. And Tom Danielson. He abandoned Giro with a knee injury, but he seemed to be in decent shape this spring so maybe he can recover for the Tour. But he may rather focus on Utah again.

My bet? Probably: Talansky, Martin, Hesjedal, Cardoso, Ben King, Navardauskas, Bauer, Van Baarle and Langeveld/Haas. But last year there were some surprises, so it may also happen this year.

Also there are not many climbers to support Talansky in his attempt to defend his 2014 Dauphine title. But it was pretty much the same last year. Maybe they aim to do well in TTT so that's why there are so many roleurs in their provisional roster.

Ahh, I forgot about contract extention thing. I imagine guy like Van Baarle can be omitted in TdF roster if he is to sign with another team for 2016 (Lotto-Soudal rumoured IIRC).

Interesting thing. When I look at the 2015 CQ Ranking among Team Cannondale-Garmin, 6 out of 8 former Cannondale guys are in the bottom 10 of the new team, and only one of them is in top12. It really doesn't look like the whole merge resulted in improved quality of the team's roster. Quite the opposite, in fact. Only Formolo has proven so far to be a valuable addition.

I wonder what the 2016 roster will look like with Martin and Hesjedal being linked to other teams. I hope we won't see a further decrease in overall quality of the team, because that could put Cannondale among 2-3 of the weakest WT teams, while the old Garmin had always been comfortably in the middle of the pack, winning a GT or monument each year between 2011 and 2014.

I think losing some strong names at the end of the year is imminent and I can only hope some of the young riders will take a step forward and some interesting names are brought in for 2016 from other teams.

Jun 17, 2015
Visit site
Anderis said:
Interesting thing. When I look at the 2015 CQ Ranking among Team Cannondale-Garmin, 6 out of 8 former Cannondale guys are in the bottom 10 of the new team, and only one of them is in top12. It really doesn't look like the whole merge resulted in improved quality of the team's roster. Quite the opposite, in fact. Only Formolo has proven so far to be a valuable addition.

I wonder what the 2016 roster will look like with Martin and Hesjedal being linked to other teams. I hope we won't see a further decrease in overall quality of the team, because that could put Cannondale among 2-3 of the weakest WT teams, while the old Garmin had always been comfortably in the middle of the pack, winning a GT or monument each year between 2011 and 2014.

I think losing some strong names at the end of the year is imminent and I can only hope some of the young riders will take a step forward and some interesting names are brought in for 2016 from other teams.

Not an overly impressive team showing today on stage one. Talansky, Martin and Hejesdal already down by 45 seconds to last of top 4 GC. Doesn't bode well for the TTT. They will loose more time then. Cannondale had most riders around 1:15 to 1:30 back. Guess they are consistent if nothing else. Bigger gaps today than I thought would happen over 14kms.

Jun 16, 2014
Visit site
Ricksterh1 said:
Anderis said:

Not an overly impressive team showing today on stage one. Talansky, Martin and Hejesdal already down by 45 seconds to last of top 4 GC. Doesn't bode well for the TTT. They will loose more time then. Cannondale had most riders around 1:15 to 1:30 back. Guess they are consistent if nothing else. Bigger gaps today than I thought would happen over 14kms.

Van Baarle in 16th was pretty good, but when I saw Talansky come by in his Stars and Stripes jersey I expected a little bit more from him to be honest.

Jun 17, 2015
Visit site
What a fricking disaster today was! Talansky down 2 minutes Hesjedal down over 6!!! Too far back, got caught behind a crash... same old crap!! Do they never learn! Basically the tour is over for this team!! Almost a 2 man tour already!! Maybe the cobbles will take another out and the tour will be all over. Great riding Cannondale!! Great strategy!!!

Oh, c'mon, that's not the end of the world. How many potential GC riders finished in front of Martin and Talansky today? Contador, Froome, Van Garderen. Potentially add Kreuziger and Barguil and that's all. The rest finished with the same time as Martin and Talansky.

I think Hesjedal doesn't bother to avoid losses too much. He didn't look like trying his best today.

More worrying was yesterday's TT performance, for Talansky especially (and Navardauskas). I don't have good feelings for the rest of the Tour but we will wait and see. Talansky is usually at his best in 3rd week. So is Hesjedal. Let him win a stage or KOM classification and the Tour doesn't look like a total disaster. Nothing is decided yet.

I seem to recall Talansky performing simillarly to this on explosive climbs during the 2012 Vuelta, yet he managed to come good in high mountains and finish 7th overall.

He is not looking well to me, though. When there was a split today, he was in 2nd group. I also think he was further down the road than Dan yesterday before groups came together (I may be wrong on this, cause I didn't spot him in any particular group before the big group with Quintana and Nibali was created). It looks like he doesn't feel well enough to stay out of the trouble, unlike last year, when he rode close to the front of the peloton most of the time. Cobbles will tell us quite a lot. He rode well there last year. If he is having a bad day tomorrow, then he is probably far from his June-July 2014 shape. Although Van Summeren and Langeveld did great job last year, this year Johan is not with the team and Sebastian seems to be in worse shape. There are Koren and Van Baarle though, to boost their cobble team, but they have two leaders two protect.

Oh, and I forgot. Hesjedal did great on cobbles in 2010. I'm very curious ho will he do tomorrow. I hope he doesn't ride the whole stage at the back of the peloton cause he doesn't bother.

By the way: I saw one Cannondale's rider down in the crash today. Didn't look to bad because he's managed to lose most of his speed before he hit the ground. Any idea who was that?

Re:

Zinoviev Letter said:
Starts too far back time after time and then zips through the field too late.
As he wrote on twitter, he was on Purito's wheel 800 m to go but didn't have the legs to follow the best on the steepest part of the climb.

Well, today was a typical day for Garmin again. At least Talansky is still in contention. And maybe the team will benefit now from being focused on protecting the GC place for only one guy now. I think Andrew looked better today than yesterday or 2 days ago. Maybe he will be able to make it into top10 overall.

It's even no longer frustrating to see crashes, splits and mechanicals happening at the worst possible time for them. I take it as a given and treat as a bonus if it doesn't happen somehow and they have a clean race. :)

Jun 17, 2015
Visit site
Stage 4 debacle

Another fricking day of disaster! Cannondale hopes now soley rely on Talansky! Funny how they just can't seem to ride as a team, near the front until they are forced to and then it is more chasing than anything. Both Hesjedal and Martin were caught out, Martin in a crash and god knows what happened. Thought they had some cobble guys. Van Baarrle was toasted today. Just more bad luck?? How come other teams seem to be able to avoid the carnage and splits? Oh well, my focus will have to change now. Just one other GC where this team just destroys itself. You have to help yourself to make some luck. Guess all will be thrown at Talansky now. The way Hesjedal is riding, he should not have been put on the team. Losing minutes per stage. Anyways, just venting as I had doubts about this team having enough depth and it is showing that I was right. If JV was serious he wouldn't be putting young guys in the Tour team. Just another lost Tour de France. Think Talansky can make up 3 minutes? Probably not with this team around him. Oh well, enough venting for today. On to other things.

TRENDING THREADS