• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Garmin Disasters

Page 3 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Yeah, it seems Talansky didn't recover from crashes.

Hope he or Slagter can win a stage later in the race. Or Vansummeren maybe, he seems to be in a good form.

Depressing to be a Garmin's fan nowadays. It's 5th GT in row when it goes all wrong for them. And Paris-Nice and LBL big chances of wins were both ruined with less than 500 meters to go (500 m to go in one of the stages in case of P-N). I feel I'm losing my passion towards cycling. Not only Garmin is out of GC, but also Froome crashed out and Mollema is ill what limits his chances of doing as well as I would wish. These are my favourite GC riders outside Garmin. :(

maxmartin said:
guess that is it then. Now Garmin can stage hunting doing what they do best.

Even if Talansky can recover, Nibali would not be stupid enough to let him get too far up the road. Talansky is not Rolland who takes the all or nothing approach. I have never understood Europcar's tactics maybe they are based on the Chaos Theory. His only chance of top 5 now would be a large break which Astana don't have to chase and it gets out of hand like in the Dauphine but this is the Tour and it happens pretty rarely as the riders in the top 10 won't let a break go too far if they see a risk to their position.

May 19, 2011
Visit site
movingtarget said:
Even if Talansky can recover, Nibali would not be stupid enough to let him get too far up the road. Talansky is not Rolland who takes the all or nothing approach. I have never understood Europcar's tactics maybe they are based on the Chaos Theory. His only chance of top 5 now would be a large break which Astana don't have to chase and it gets out of hand like in the Dauphine but this is the Tour and it happens pretty rarely as the riders in the top 10 won't let a break go too far if they see a risk to their position.

I guess I didn't make myself clear. I am not referring AT at all. He is pretty much done IMO, maybe he can move up a few places later when he fully recovered from the crash. What I mean strong rider likes LANGEVELD Sebastian, NAVARDAUSKAS Ramunas, should go on breakaway to do stage hunting. Just like they did in the Giro, forget about working for AT. Especially NAVARDAUSKAS Ramunas, he is really fast in a select small group without Sagan. LOL

movingtarget said:
Even if Talansky can recover, Nibali would not be stupid enough to let him get too far up the road.
Nibali won't bother about Talansky. He can comfortably give up over 10 minutes to him.

I guess Talansky, unless it will be getting worse and worse each day for him (instead of better and better), will try a breakaway at some point. That's how he was able to recover well in GC after some worse stages in mid-Tour last year.

I hope Garmin will try breakaways pretty much everywhere. Langeveld has a chance to do something on flattish stages. Slagter in medium mountain. Talansky in high mountain, maybe in medium mountain as well if he feels he can recover in GC. Acevedo in high mountain as well, but he seems to be suffering even more than Talansky. King pretty much everywhere, and Vansummeren somewhere, but I'm not sure where, but he does look to have some form.
Navardauskas waiting in the bunch for harder sprints. The rest to breakaways left, right and centre.

Libertine Seguros said:
It's all on the crash. He didn't do the Giro, he was 9th in California and also 9th in the Tour de Suisse as his prep for this.

I'd also point out he's 28, so he's not really a young rider.
And the other portion is mentally. There was a story circulating by the commentators yesterday in NBC Sports that I was a bit late to pick up but it referred to Acevedo trying to quit after the crash in the Pave. But the team did not allow it. The coach made sure that he was physically OK before they pushed him not to quit. Something in the lines of screaming at him trying to encourage him not to quit. Very weird. After that he has been dropped in just about any hill. He is easy to be spotted because he is always at the back and one of the first ones to drop back.

If he is physically suffering he needs to retire. But I have the feeling that part of his deal is mental suffering after the crash.

maxmartin said:
I guess I didn't make myself clear. I am not referring AT at all. He is pretty much done IMO, maybe he can move up a few places later when he fully recovered from the crash. What I mean strong rider likes LANGEVELD Sebastian, NAVARDAUSKAS Ramunas, should go on breakaway to do stage hunting. Just like they did in the Giro, forget about working for AT. Especially NAVARDAUSKAS Ramunas, he is really fast in a select small group without Sagan. LOL

Yes they should try and get something from the race. Most teams see no stage win as a fail in a grand tour. Omega have done well without Cavendish to get two good stage wins.

May 19, 2011
Visit site
woodburn said:
Any idea what happened to Talansky on the last hill? He was a good distance ahead of Gallopin beforehand, yet finished more than five minutes behind him. He really crack that bad?

yep he suffered seriously a serious of crashes, after the stage 10 he could not even take off the jersey by himself. F Andrea even suggested he should retire the race to play the long game for the Vuelta.

Jun 19, 2009
Visit site
Dazed and Confused said:
I would do a more concerted effort, perhaps together with another suffering team. Make a few phone calls and see if a plan can come together.

Sending the odd rider in a break on various days, rarely pays off or generate sufficient PR imo.

The backup plan of more than one Tour win, for sure. The problem is finding a team for sale...maybe looking for some serious players that can perform in the next GT...who could that be? SkyGarminLottoMovistar....
Lot's of options if some folks get together and the Italian, isolated...gets a mechanical while attacks are on. They did wait when Contador went down...they didn't know...are you sure? Neither am I so let's hammer...!

May 19, 2011
Visit site
maxmartin said:
yep he suffered seriously a serious of crashes, after the stage 10 he could not even take off the jersey by himself. F Andrea even suggested he should retire the race to play the long game for the Vuelta.

AT is already dropped now 80k from the finish, I think F Andrea might be right, no points to carry on for him at this point:eek:

May 19, 2011
Visit site
Oldman said:
The backup plan of more than one Tour win, for sure. The problem is finding a team for sale...maybe looking for some serious players that can perform in the next GT...who could that be? SkyGarminLottoMovistar....
Lot's of options if some folks get together and the Italian, isolated...gets a mechanical while attacks are on. They did wait when Contador went down...they didn't know...are you sure? Neither am I so let's hammer...!

Tour win? for whom? AT? Are you watching the stage? Sometimes your post just does not make any logical sense.

May 19, 2011
Visit site
Garmin is done with AT, drilling hard in the front. It is about the time to cut loss. They should do that after that first high speed crash. No one can't be affected by that nasty crash.

I was baffled by how weak Garmin appeared to be today. They went full gas the whole team and couldn't even drop half of the peloton. Then Slagter couldn't even hang onto Roche and Bakelants in the break. They didn't seem to be that weak as long as Talansky was still in contention for GC.
Maybe the stage was too easy today to cause more damage. But Slagter should be able to hang onto the break for longer.

Roll on Vuelta.

Mar 9, 2013
Visit site
Garmin unlucky? Give me a break, Talansky own fault on every crash. How is that unlucky. Dan Martin was the same this year.

Dazed and Confused said:
Yep, took a bit of convincing from whoever was the DS.
I think it was Robbie Hunter.

It's not that they, Garmin, drilled it in the front, the issue is that nobody stayed with him...the rider that happens to be their main GC guy.

"Garmin-Sharp chose to leave Talansky to his own devices, but NetApp-Endura sent back Andreas Schillinger, Paul Voss, Zak Dempster and Jose Mendes to help Machado finish the stage. In the end, only Schillinger was at his side, just outside the time limit at 43:06, but the ASO allowed them to continue in the race"

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/machado-suffers-through-tour-de-france-with-injuries

cineteq said:
I think it was Robbie Hunter.

It's not that they, Garmin, drilled it in the front, the issue is that nobody stayed with him...the rider that happens to be their main GC guy.

"Garmin-Sharp chose to leave Talansky to his own devices, but NetApp-Endura sent back Andreas Schillinger, Paul Voss, Zak Dempster and Jose Mendes to help Machado finish the stage. In the end, only Schillinger was at his side, just outside the time limit at 43:06, but the ASO allowed them to continue in the race"

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/machado-suffers-through-tour-de-france-with-injuries

Don't think it was a problem in Garmin's case. Builds the boy's character.

Machado was dead on a much tougher route in sh!t conditions. Needed help to stay in race.

TRENDING THREADS