• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Garmin Disasters

Page 4 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Jun 9, 2014
Visit site
TANK91 said:
Garmin unlucky? Give me a break, Talansky own fault on every crash. How is that unlucky. Dan Martin was the same this year.

LBL -- yeah, pretty much.

Giro -- No. He followed the riders in front over a two smooth, wet metal manhole covers recessed around 20mm down from street level in rapid succession while in the aero position on a TT bike. One could easily send any rider flying. Two was more than enough in this case.

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
Escarabajo said:
He should retire and recuparate for Vuelta.
Yes, i thought about that too. It will better for him. However, what his role will be at the Vuelta? Hesjedal should be the leader and D. Martin will go there to refine his preparation for the Worlds Championships road later in the season. I have doubts if he will accept to be a teammate in this race.

Dazed and Confused said:
Yep, took a bit of convincing from whoever was the DS.

Many would have called it a day. Maybe he can find some form in the last week.

Actually it was the other way around. Robbie Hunter was trying to get him to quit the race. This was the news that was handed to Phil and Paul during their commentary. But once he got going again, Hunter seeming to be urging him on. He was obviously in distress as you could see him crying while he was riding. Very gutsy ride by Talansky and glad he made the cutoff. I found it very odd that Garmin did not keep a rider with him. When he stopped to talk to Hunter he was doubled over and holding his back, must have landed hard on the last fall he had and the one in the sprint was not a soft fall either. They must have thought he was a certainty to quit the race, that can be the only reason for not keeping a teammate with him or they thought Slagter had a real chance of winning the stage and that was more important.

movingtarget said:
Actually it was the other way around. Robbie Hunter was trying to get him to quit the race. This was the news that was handed to Phil and Paul during their commentary. But once he got going again, Hunter seeming to be urging him on. He was obviously in distress as you could see him crying while he was riding. Very gutsy ride by Talansky and glad he made the cutoff. I found it very odd that Garmin did not keep a rider with him. When he stopped to talk to Hunter he was doubled over and holding his back, must have landed hard on the last fall he had and the one in the sprint was not a soft fall either. They must have thought he was a certainty to quit the race, that can be the only reason for not keeping a teammate with him or they thought Slagter had a real chance of winning the stage and that was more important.
All you needed to do is read CN :D

Robbie Hunter: "I said to him that the decision was up to him. If at the end of the day, he finds himself in a situation where he can't continue, no problem. But if he wants to fight on and get to the finish - because that's the kind of guy he is - then the only way we're going to get there is by riding. I'll never encourage a person to get off his bike. I've been in a position where I've stopped Tour de Frances previously and a couple of hours later I've regretted it"

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/talanskys-travails-continue-at-tour-de-france

shoulda signed horner when they had the chance... they could've had phil and paul doing live reads of snickers "energy" bar commercials. oh the merchandising possibilities...

e64ebc75160861bc_snickers-marathon-bars.jpg

Jagartrott said:
Respect for going the extra mile today, but... what purpose does it serve? Does he really have any chance to recover? And more importantly, is it responsible for a 25 year old to do that?

Maybe he can claim a stage later now that he doesn't have to obsess about riding for GC. Winning a stage in a grand tour is a big deal.

A famous doctor once claimed that training/racing is not healthy anyway. Riding injured at least shows some respect and professionalism.

DirtyWorks said:
Maybe he can claim a stage later now that he doesn't have to obsess about riding for GC. Winning a stage in a grand tour is a big deal.

A famous doctor once claimed that training/racing is not healthy anyway. Riding injured at least shows some respect and professionalism.

Yeah, I would think that winning atop Hautacam would be a much greater achievement than finishing on the fringes of the top 10. Despite all the withdrawals, I'm not sure he was capable of a top 5 finish even without his crashes. Hopefully he can recover enough over the next week to make his mark on the race when they hit the Pyrenees.

Edit: Oops just saw that he withdrew. Too bad for AT.

Mike Adams @vayerism 1g
Talansky dropped, it honestly couldn't happen to a bigger ***

Mike Adams @vayerism 3h
Talansky abandons In fairness i never like to see riders carry on when they shouldn't Talansky was seriously dehydrated after all the crying

ehm, what's up with this Mike Adams?

pastronef said:
Mike Adams @vayerism 1g
Talansky dropped, it honestly couldn't happen to a bigger ***

Mike Adams @vayerism 3h
Talansky abandons In fairness i never like to see riders carry on when they shouldn't Talansky was seriously dehydrated after all the crying

ehm, what's up with this Mike Adams?

He would appear to be an ultra edgy blogger who exclusively follows clinic issues... someone that spews that much venomous bile would fit in well on this forum. Whats the problem?

myrideissteelerthanyours said:
He would appear to be an ultra edgy blogger who exclusively follows clinic issues... someone that spews that much venomous bile would fit in well on this forum. Whats the problem?

Not necessarily. Talansky has earned a reputation as quick to blame others. Calling him a whiner is probably too strong, but there's a grain of truth to it.

May 19, 2011
Visit site
maxmartin said:
I guess I didn't make myself clear. I am not referring AT at all. He is pretty much done IMO, maybe he can move up a few places later when he fully recovered from the crash. What I mean strong rider likes LANGEVELD Sebastian, NAVARDAUSKAS Ramunas, should go on breakaway to do stage hunting. Just like they did in the Giro, forget about working for AT. Especially NAVARDAUSKAS Ramunas, he is really fast in a select small group without Sagan. LOL

GLAD FOR GAMIN, at least their result will be better than SKY:D

I couldn't believe it was Ramunas who attacked, I thought he should've waited for the bunch sprint and guys like Bauer to attack. But I'm gladly proven wrong. :D I really lost the hope they could do something interesting in this Tour when it turned out how weak the team was on a stage 11 with Slagter seemingly much off-form. It was a Tour saver, because they really looked weak ever since Talansky had abbandoned.

Jun 19, 2009
Visit site
movingtarget said:
Yeah it was a good win.

Well timed and....lucky. Amazing that Omega and Cannondale let Bauer rotate into their chase. That little bit of disruption became as important as the effort to ride to the finish IMO.

TRENDING THREADS