• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Garmin Sharp

Page 6 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Mar 13, 2009
Visit site
Afrank said:
Attack all the time, get in breaks, and basically be a pain in the a$$ for the teams trying to control the race and keep it together. :D

I think it's a strategy that can work, if nothing else for gaining new fans.

Aug 16, 2011
Visit site
It can work for certain stages and situations. The tactic won't work using it to the same degree they used it to at the US pro challenge or have the same success rate as they did have with the tactic there. But in the right situation on the right stage they could find success with it. Especially if other teams and riders (GC riders) join them in it.

May 13, 2009
Visit site
NattyTerp said:
the Inner Ring ‏@inrng 1m
Garmin-Sharp's Tour team: Talansky, Vande Velde, Martin, Millar, Bauer, Navardauskas, Dennis, Hesjedal + Danielson

Good to see Navardauskas in there. He and Martin are fun riders to watch.

Sophistic82 said:
now thats a strong team, they could really spice up things.

Arguably the strongest support team in the race for whoever ends up as their GC leader on the road. When your fifth strongest climber is someone like Danielson or Vande Velde, you know you have a very strong mountains team and they also have guys who have serious flat horse power. Although Bauer strikes me as a bit of an odd choice over Vansummeren, Zabriskie or Rasmussen.

The problem is that it's hard to see any of their prospective leaders challenging the top tier GC riders. Hopefully that means that they'll attack like mad with the likes of Martin and Navardauskas rather than have a team that deep all work for a 6th place on GC. Particularly in the absence of a sprinter.

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site
Zinoviev Letter said:
Arguably the strongest support team in the race for whoever ends up as their GC leader on the road. When your fifth strongest climber is someone like Danielson or Vande Velde, you know you have a very strong mountains team and they also have guys who have serious flat horse power. Although Bauer strikes me as a bit of an odd choice over Vansummeren, Zabriskie or Rasmussen.

The problem is that it's hard to see any of their prospective leaders challenging the top tier GC riders. Hopefully that means that they'll attack like mad with the likes of Martin and Navardauskas rather than have a team that deep all work for a 6th place on GC. Particularly in the absence of a sprinter.

True, but you still need a strong leader for a good result. I'd say a satisfactory result would be one rider in the top 10 and a stage win, along with time in breakaways. Anything better would be a huge success, hesjedal and Martin could even target KOM.

I don't think one rider in top10 would satisfy them. They always managed to do that (apart from 2012, when everyone crashed) even in times when they had just 2 proper climers in the team and one of them crashed (2010).

Two riders in top10 or one in top5 is what I rate as a good result for them. Hopefully they will keep their promise about being aggresive and this will pay off with some stage wins and maybe a team-classifiacation win.

And Bauer is there, because he is better time-trial rider than Van Summeren, better climber than Rasmussen and is in better shape than Zabriskie.

Anderis said:
I don't think one rider in top10 would satisfy them. They always managed to do that (apart from 2012, when everyone crashed) even in times when they had just 2 proper climers in the team and one of them crashed (2010).

Two riders in top10 or one in top5 is what I rate as a good result for them. Hopefully they will keep their promise about being aggresive and this will pay off with some stage wins and maybe a team-classifiacation win.

And Bauer is there, because he is better time-trial rider than Van Summeren, better climber than Rasmussen and is in better shape than Zabriskie.
That, as well as his name. Who in their right mind would want to f@#k with Jack Bauer? :D:cool:

Jun 28, 2012
Visit site
Will Navardauskas contest in the sprints? To me he seems to me like someone who could get in top 15 in the flat sprints, and top 5-10 in the medium mountains stages the first week?

Am I right in my summary=? :)

Aug 16, 2011
Visit site
Steady said:
Will Navardauskas contest in the sprints? To me he seems to me like someone who could get in top 15 in the flat sprints, and top 5-10 in the medium mountains stages the first week?

Am I right in my summary=? :)

Doubt he'll go for the sprints IMO. Probably be doing work for the team for the most part. And if he is given the opportunity to go for a stage will go in the break.

May 16, 2012
Visit site
I have never really liked Garmin, but the small showing Ryder did at the Giro was so aggressive its hard to not think they are going to make a mark this year.

Mar 4, 2010
Visit site
jack bauer is being rewarded for all his hard work in the giro probably. Plus he's the only kiwi racing the tour so i'm happy he's there 8)

Jun 18, 2012
Visit site
fgrune said:
Do you guys think Jack Bauer and Rohan Dennis will leave the race before Paris?

I think Bauer will finish, barring injury or illness of course. He'll likely get a few 'days off' to ride in the grupetto when the road goes up. I've heard plenty of rumors that Dennis will only ride until the first rest day. Even if those aren't true, I don't expect him to go all the way to Paris.

Cervelo S5 with 100 edition Tour paint 8we already know)

but it looks like the R5 will be painted with new colours too

2urwill.jpg