GB Track Team

Page 39 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.

the big ring

BANNED
Jul 28, 2009
2,135
0
0
Fearless Greg Lemond said:
Like Hamilton giving his Olympic gold back?

About the brainwave of DW; BC/SKY/Murdock ----> FOX Network, aka the masters of indoctrination, they own the world wide press. Don't understand why an Aussie would sponsor a BC project though, kinda strange.
Define Aussie.

I loved the way Darryl Webster put it:

nationalities of elite sportsmen are nothing more than passports of convenience.

I'd say the same goes for the elite rich.
 
Feb 28, 2010
1,661
0
0
Darryl Webster said:
Murdock Isn't bothered about what nation, media corporations think in terms of continents / global market. The market is everyone.
A question worth pondering is were is this Sky/ BC/ UCI collaboration going?. All team sponsorships run there course..unless the intention is the ownership of the product.
There are soon to be 5 250 metre indoor tracks in the uk.....all to world championship "specification" ( there was a time when world champs were held on tracks of all sizes, indoors and out)..London ,Manchester,Newport, Derby and Edinburgh . Look on a map and see the even spread .
Its a potential "league" sport. For that to succeed heroes, villains, heroins need to be created and become household names. But first ya need the heroes.
Once you've created the product , ( look at event program changes that will have the widest appeal , drop the events that don't... make the events fast paced, glamorous and simple to understand.)...maybe introduce betting, Keirin racing is a gambling sport in Japan that has an audience of gamblers not sports lovers. I've been to a meeting and was astonished..was like going to the horses. Soon as a race was over it was betting slips in the air and off to place the next bet/ collect your winnings.
The heroes , villains and heroins will soon emerge, relationship storeys become publicly gossip , anyone step to far out of line, face don't fit is dispensable.
The road scene , particularly the GT,s and Monuments has a ready audience , a ready Heroes, Villains and Heroins situation, stories galore , intrigue , history and drama ,has attracted major tourism/ business interest as a marketing tool but failed in England to ever grip the public.
To achieve that Sky/BC/ UCI ( the business model) has to think big.
The TDF being the most obvious. The Olympic games also.
This is what it has achieved.

Now quite obviously some will think I'm wearing a tin foil hat here and indeed I might well be.
But the logics there and the fan base is changing rapidly and becoming much broader.
See how most every area of the sport stands to "benefit" from such proposals ?. Its a win, win, all round.
The only loser is the idealist.
Very interesting post, and if you're in the UK you might have seen the footage of Herne Hill track today where so many youngsters are turning up every day for track training they're having to turn some away. We've gone from no knowledge and little coverage of track racing to it's now one of our major sports!
 
Jun 13, 2009
212
0
0
Great post Darryl. Really makes sense. You can see Sky now creating a track series with exclusive coverage for themselves of course. Probably get Barry Hearne to try and replicate what he's done with Darts/ Snooker? Expect lots of walk on music and awful trailers/ involving riders loolooking menacing or downright silly.
 
Hawkwood said:
Very interesting post, and if you're in the UK you might have seen the footage of Herne Hill track today where so many youngsters are turning up every day for track training they're having to turn some away. We've gone from no knowledge and little coverage of track racing to it's now one of our major sports!
Thus filling the pipeline for potential 2020/2024 medal candidates.
 
What I don't understand is, if British Cycling have been doping their track athletes, presumably including their endurance based ones, for years, then why did Sky need to go out and get the Dutch doctor if they already had the expertise? Something doesn't quite add up.
 
King Of The Wolds said:
What I don't understand is, if British Cycling have been doping their track athletes, presumably including their endurance based ones, for years, then why did Sky need to go out and get the Dutch doctor if they already had the expertise? Something doesn't quite add up.
I would guess that doping in road cycling is light years ahead of doping in track cycling. Road is where the money is. Also a lot of track cycling doping has to centered around steroids.
 
Jun 12, 2010
1,234
0
0
King Of The Wolds said:
What I don't understand is, if British Cycling have been doping their track athletes, presumably including their endurance based ones, for years, then why did Sky need to go out and get the Dutch doctor if they already had the expertise? Something doesn't quite add up.
Plausible Deniability " foreign " Doctors. Note the incessant Union Jack waiving..this about "Britain"...its a good defence , rouses the ignorant laymen to the defence of "there" team. Anyone gets busted, it aint team wide unless you can prove it.
 
May 12, 2010
1,998
0
0
Although it's hardly a huge issue, but I've seen the mistake more often here, Leinders is from Belgium, not The Netherlands.
 
Jun 12, 2010
1,234
0
0
BroDeal said:
I would guess that doping in road cycling is light years ahead of doping in track cycling. Road is where the money is. Also a lot of track cycling doping has to centered around steroids.
The knowledge is entirely interchangeable beyond the Sprints were physical strength becomes more/ as important as aerobic capacity thus requiring a different type of regime.
Micro dosing EPO, with a very short detection life is ideal for track racing.
 
Apr 20, 2012
6,321
0
0
the big ring said:
Define Aussie.

I loved the way Darryl Webster put it:

nationalities of elite sportsmen are nothing more than passports of convenience.

I'd say the same goes for the elite rich.
Let's just say for the sake of argument the man saw his first light in Australia, nowadays he also seems to be American :D

On the other hand, why would a media tycoon have direct involvement with this project.

And indeed, it is al about globalization, in ten years we will chear for a Chinese winner of the Tour de farce.
 
May 26, 2010
28,144
2
0
Fearless Greg Lemond said:
Let's just say for the sake of argument the man saw his first light in Australia, nowadays he also seems to be American :D

On the other hand, why would a media tycoon have direct involvement with this project.

And indeed, it is al about globalization, in ten years we will chear for a Chinese winner of the Tour de farce.
10 years????

If they can make Wiggins a TdF in 4 years it shouldn't take the more than 3.
 

the big ring

BANNED
Jul 28, 2009
2,135
0
0
Fearless Greg Lemond said:
Let's just say for the sake of argument the man saw his first light in Australia, nowadays he also seems to be American :D

On the other hand, why would a media tycoon have direct involvement with this project.

And indeed, it is al about globalization, in ten years we will chear for a Chinese winner of the Tour de farce.
Vos wants to race the Giro. Why not a female Chinese Tour de France winner? Think big! Think global!
 
Jul 20, 2012
12
0
0
Daryl Webster = failed track cyclist bitter/jealous at the success of our cyclists, for him the nearest he'll ever get to that level of success is waking up covered in his own s.punk after a wet dream about it.

And the rest of you hysterical fannies , get a grip you hypocritical b.astards.

If all our cyclists were doped it would be impossible to keep a lid on , impossible , GB are here to stay and win get used to it ! enjoy you're pints of bitter ;)
 
Jun 12, 2010
1,234
0
0
Cav the Great said:
Daryl Webster = failed track cyclist bitter/jealous at the success of our cyclists, for him the nearest he'll ever get to that level of success is waking up covered in his own s.punk after a wet dream about it.

And the rest of you hysterical fannies , get a grip you hypocritical b.astards.

If all our cyclists were doped it would be impossible to keep a lid on , impossible , GB are here to stay and win get used to it ! enjoy you're pints of bitter ;)
Would admin consider removing this?...its nothing but abuse.
 
Jun 15, 2010
1,318
0
0
Fearless Greg Lemond said:
Like Hamilton giving his Olympic gold back?

About the brainwave of DW; BC/SKY/Murdock ----> FOX Network, aka the masters of indoctrination, they own the world wide press. Don't understand why an Aussie would sponsor a BC project though, kinda strange.
Sky is a British company with mainly British customers.News international has a large but not controlling interest in the company.
 

ASK THE COMMUNITY

TRENDING THREADS