• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Geelong 2010: Elite Men's Road Race 262.7km

Page 39 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
May 25, 2010
Visit site
Oh must say the comments and talk in the race thread is the best I've seen all WC too. Is it everyone coming out of the woodwork or because someone has disappeared?

Mar 11, 2009
Visit site
Francois the Postman said:
Sorry, but if he "planned" it this way, he's an idiot, not a race smart genius at all.

Coming back the way they did, from where he was dropped at, did involve a certain amount of good fortune that everyone else played ball too. That took quite a few stars to align.

It's a great win, not dishing that one bit. But hold the accomplishment claims within touching distance of reasonable please.

He said so himself. He was pretty worried when it was only Spain who was working, but then Russia started to help.
He said he didn't have to do anything because Hagen was up front, not that he would have done anything otherwise...

May 25, 2010
Visit site
Francois the Postman said:
Sorry, but if he "planned" it this way, he's an idiot, not a race smart genius at all.

Coming back the way they did, from where he was dropped at, did involve a certain amount of good fortune that everyone else played ball too. That took quite a few stars to align.

It's a great win, not dishing that one bit. But hold the accomplishment claims within touching distance of reasonable please.

I'd say it was very opportunistic of him. Hagen up front meant he could stay with big group behind the chasers and as you saw, it worked out. Tactics in a race don't always work out but you still try or do it anyway.

Mar 11, 2009
Visit site
Cervelo already regretting they'll stop? :D

@gerardvroomen

Well, that's worth losing sleep over. Congrats Thor! After our smallest rider (Emma) now a rainbow jersey for our biggest

Oh wait, he's prolly commenting on the time difference.

nevermind, it's way too early. please come home cycling ;)

Oct 29, 2009
Visit site
ak-zaaf said:
Still wondering why he chased down Leukemans.
It was way too early for that.

That as my thought as well. In a way Leukemans launched the sort of attack that you want others to tire themselves out on, bridging it. And then Gilbert went and did that himself. Leukemans looked very strong a couple of times, so strong that I thought the Belgians could give others a real nightmare, by letting him slip away on the final climb, which he seemed well capable of doing if there was some hesitation. maybe Gilbert killed the best strategic option for a Belgian win, a spectacular display of power notwithstanding.

Gilbert had about 30 seconds over the Hushovd group at the top of the 2nd climb but barely made it half way to the finish before he was swept up. Hard to see who was doing the work in the Hushovd group - saw Chris Sorensen and the slovenians / spanish on the front when Gilbert was caught

Wonderful defence from Evans even though he probably wasn't quite at his best

Is Moerenhout really retiring ? Never seen him better

Where were the spanish ?

Oct 29, 2009
Visit site
Tuarts said:
I'd say it was very opportunistic of him. Hagen up front meant he could stay with big group behind the chasers and as you saw, it worked out. Tactics in a race don't always work out but you still try or do it anyway.

Yes, I saw it worked out. But I repeat: if that was his preferred way to tackle the various race threats, it sucked.

Losing touch with the leaders, and giving up all control, just hoping that others regain it for you, is not the type of clever "race smart" that was suggested. It involves a large degree of good fortune without actually shaping any of that.

As opposed to those that did try to shape it all by themselves from a controlling position, and only lost it because a lack of capacity, personal misjudgements and bad timing.

There is a subtle difference. He knows it. His own comments highlighted that he knew he was fortunate to regain his spot for a chance at victory thanks to the work and misjudgement of others.

But indeed, keeping yourself in the race as you never know, and snatching it, is a strength too.

Mar 12, 2009
Visit site
Roland Rat said:
It's Hugh Porter commentating, so a three hour track discussion is guaranteed. :rolleyes:

Morning all. Having an insomniac night so might as well watch from the start wth you all.

What an amazing race. Probably the best I've ever seen. Ludicrously high pulse rate at the finish after sitting in an armchair for over six hours.

Only fair to mention that the BBC did not give us a three-hour track discussion, with track cycling only being mentioned in passing (on a regular basis, of course).

But it was the usual clueless performance from Porter, who should have been pensioned off years ago. His inability to recognise riders causes all the problems - i bet he was looking through the start list for a name when Gilbert got caught, and then pretended it hadn't been shown. Still, this is the man who at the Olympics had to resort to "Spain are on the front now" when he was unable to recognise Alberto Contador. And how can an ex-road rider know so little about tactics? He must have been really useless.

The Cube said:
What an amazing race. Probably the best I've ever seen. Ludiocrously high pulse rate at the finish after sitting in an armchair for over six hours.

Only fair to mention that the BBC did not give us a three-hour track discussion, with track cycling only being mentioned in passing (on a regular basis, of course).

But it was the usual clueless performance from Porter, who should have been pensioned off years ago. His inability to recognise riders causes all the problems - i bet he was looking through the start list for a name when Gilbert got caught, and then pretended it hadn't been shown. Still, this is the man who at the Olympics had to resort to "Spain are on the front now" when he was unable to recognise Alberto Contador. And how can an ex-road rider know so little about tactics? He must have been really useless.

Boardman is even worse when you consider he's actually involved in the pro ranks still

Mar 11, 2009
Visit site
LOL, Sporza is showing the last 60km or something fully again for people who didn't want stay up late/get up early.
I love Belgium.

Oct 29, 2009
Visit site
Tuarts said:
Oh must say the comments and talk in the race thread is the best I've seen all WC too. Is it everyone coming out of the woodwork or because someone has disappeared?

We were all absorbed by a thoroughly eventful race, that helps. The boundaries between the teams that we all love and hate are seriously blurred, that helps. The absence and relative invisibility of certain polarizing riders in the filed, and their cult of personality fans, helps a great deal.

We did miss several of the the ozzies for obvious reasons, but I think that they would have made this particular thread even better, as some of their enthusiasm is as insufferable as it is endearing. It is their home turf, and despite all the teasing and pooh-poohing they get to endure, this race rocked. It hink on a day like today, we would let them have their moment of gloating, before the gloves come off again in January for the mid-winter-stop side-show :D.

And it is also hard not to appreciate the defending champion efforts of Cadel, and the way he has done so all year. Thor will have his work cut out if he wants to step in those footsteps, and wear it with similar pride.

It was positive racing for most of the night. Forum threads tend to derail only when the race offers room for diversions, and thanks to the riders and track out there, I guess we simply forgot to ***** about each other.

Blur a few sharp lines in the sand, and we aren't a bad bunch after all.

May 22, 2010
Visit site
ak-zaaf said:
6km of straight wide roads after short steep climbs doesn't work.
This race was crazy and still there were 20 guys or something there in the end.
it wasn't an easy course - the climb was longer than it may have looked, very steep and they did 11 laps of it.

Jul 19, 2009
Visit site
ak-zaaf said:
LOL, Sporza is showing the last 60km or something fully again for people who didn't want stay up late/get up early.
I love Belgium.

Norwegian TV sends the whole race in replay now. It was scheduled before Hushovd won so that's not the reason. ;)

So it's not just Belgium.

Eyeballs Out said:
Boardman is even worse when you consider he's actually involved in the pro ranks still

yeah, you could expect a lot more knowledge from him

the race wasn't live on german television so I was happy for being able to watch it on the bbc, but Porter should be much better informed. "Sanchez the sprinter" and "they got two Martens - Paul Martens and Tony Martens, the sprinter" were some of his highlights today. Besides "I think I have seen Millar....oh, no, it isn't him" :p

Jun 17, 2009
Visit site
Some danish quotes after the race ("Ekstrabladet")

Breschel: "I'm very disappointed. Maybe I shouldn't have chased Gilbert and saved some energy. In the end we couldn't have done it differently, Thor was too strong, fair play to him, but I'm very disappointed."

Chris Anker Sorensen: "Gilbert, Evans and Pozzato weren't giving their all, so I held back a little as well. Towards the end I told Anders Lund to save energy for the sprint, and I gave all I had to keep it all together. Breschel will win it next year on danish soil"

Jul 30, 2009
Visit site
Awesome awesome race and spectacular pyhrric attacks by Gilbert et al

Heroic effort by Cuddles too

I think Thor will do the jersey proud, a great race from him - took full advantage of the bit of luck that came his way.

I expect the finish in 2012 to be a bit nearer the last climb ;)

Jun 22, 2009
Visit site
delbified said:
it wasn't an easy course - the climb was longer than it may have looked, very steep and they did 11 laps of it.

It was indeed steep, but as ak-z mentioned they were short, they were longer then some may think, but only at the end did it really kick up (the last 100-200m was crazy, I struggled walking up :p ) . Not long enough (steep sections) to really destroy a field. Maybe if it was a little closer to the end...

I was about 100m from the top, and thoe came past around 8th I think... he did an amazing job.

[dutch-related]oh and brilliant by koos :) what a great last season. ANd then we have the young.. poels was impressive. couldn't handle the distance though...

Mar 11, 2009
Visit site
Did Feillu shoot out of his toecliip in the sprint?
album_large_228928.jpg

May 25, 2010
Visit site
Would like to hear some news from the people watching it down there (probably still getting home).

Hopefully in lower case and legible sentences too. ;)

May 22, 2010
Visit site
I liv in geelong and the city was overun with bike riders today, i wonted to goe for a cruze in my vs comodore ss with lowred suspnsoin but the copers pulled me up and turnd me arownd - i hate cyclysts cars r better.