• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Geelong World Champs Video Preview

A

Anonymous

Good post from CTips as usual.

Having seen that I can't think it'll come to a sprint. It reminds me a bit of Mendrisio, and so would expect a similar race. Maybe this time not being on home turf Cancellara won't be marked out of it and will have a better chance.

From a Brit perspective, not sure who to back any more. Maybe it's a Wiggins or Froome course if they can do an Evans. Looks made for Phil Gilbert/Boonen, maybe even Hushovd, though.

Big GMaC said:
how many metres of climbing were there on that TdF stage Cav hauled his behind over to win the sprint?
Well, no idea, but in terms of climbing the course is more like a slightly easier version of Varese, I think. Who knows, maybe Cav can muster the strength. Although it looks like it's gonna be a sprint with a small group of classics-type riders.

A

Anonymous

theyoungest said:
Mendrisio featured about 4750 meters of climbing, this course 3000. Should make a difference.

Only because the first 80k or so at Australia is an irrelevant sunday morning cafe-stop cruise to the finishing circuit. If you compare circuits, they're very similar. Particularly the hills:

Acqua Fresca - length 1,700m, climb 102m, ave gradient 6%

Challambra Cres - length 1,100m, climb 106m, ave gradient 9.6%

If anything, the climb at Geelong is a little more unfavourable for the sprinters, and will also then be followed by Aphrasia: length 500m, climb 57m, gradient 11.4%.

Hibbles said:
Only because the first 80k or so at Australia is an irrelevant sunday morning cafe-stop cruise to the finishing circuit. If you compare circuits, they're very similar.
True, but as a result the course isn't as hard. They'll still have to do those climbs 11 times, but that's something else than the 19 times in Mendrisio.

Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
The climbing in the course is much earlier in the circuit though I don't think a pure sprinter like Cav can win. teams will be very aware that if Cav gets in the main or lead bunch in the final straight then they will lose. The uphill sprint will be interesting as you will have time your sprint to perfection.

theyoungest said:
Well, no idea, but in terms of climbing the course is more like a slightly easier version of Varese, I think. Who knows, maybe Cav can muster the strength. Although it looks like it's gonna be a sprint with a small group of classics-type riders.

someone like Gerrans or Gilbert.I think its to hilly for someone like Cavendish or Greiple......