Geert Leinders

Jun 12, 2010
1,234
0
0
Dr Geert,s position as a Sky " consultant would appear to have been a well kept secret until three weeks ago. It now seems he,s been working with the team since 2010 . Googling him reveals his role at Robobank but so far I,ve been unable to find anything on his actual area of qualified medical expertise.
Seeing as Brailsford is now claiming they,l "investigate" his history it migh be a nice idea if we help him along with a thread on any info we might have, ;)

Particularly were he was trained, what his qualifications are and what medical board ( if any ) gives him a licence to practice.
So if anyone has info..links etc post away here.
 
Jun 18, 2009
1,225
1
0
well, he's obviously a specialists in infectious diseases. That's why they got him after the death of Gonzalez, right?

Does anyone else find it just weird that they hire a guy whose specialty is blood doping after the soigneur dies from complications from sepsis?
 
http://www.nieuwsblad.be/sportwereld/cnt/FS1FUJGR

"In 1997, you drove at Rabobank, the hematocrit test is introduced, an anti-epotest. If the number of red blood cells in your blood fifty percent, may have two weeks rates. At the same move that test the door to abuse: riders with a hematocrit of fifty EPO could spray on to just under fifty, because EPO was not detectable until 2000."

"At one point I had in the Tour of Dunkirk by team doctor Geert Leinders the room. He checked my blood. Then he gave me salt tablets. Salt Tablets?! Tonight, good drink and salt, otherwise it will perhaps fourteen days' rest, he said. But if you do not take drugs, you do nothing to take to mask? Now, I also had no mask, but remain below 50. Problem is that my natural value fluctuates between 49 and 50: that was so unlucky again. For other riders with a natural value of 41 or even 45 could just repair work. That's really the mess. That should simply stop. I have my blood test results with a newcomer. Any rider who has. You have to abolish and hematocrit limit of fifty year-round blood values. Then you know enough"

(originally posted on a similar thread at Cycling Weekly)

http://forums.cyclingweekly.co.uk/showthread.php?12381-Gert-Leinders-Sky-s-Team-Dr-Has-an-quot-Interesting-quot-History./page3
 
I get the impression (and this is mildly funny) that Leinders seems to be small fish. The kind who's there mostly to make sure their riders won't trip any wires, rather than the doping guru type. Not a Del Moral. I mean, if you're going to take the risk of hiring a dodgy doctor, at least get one of the highly-priced ones!

Of course I could be completely wrong about Leinders. Maybe inside the peloton he's seen in a different light. After all, I hadn't heard of Ibarguren until this season.
 
Oct 16, 2010
19,912
1
0
hrotha said:
I get the impression (and this is mildly funny) that Leinders seems to be small fish. The kind who's there mostly to make sure their riders won't trip any wires, rather than the doping guru type. Not a Del Moral. I mean, if you're going to take the risk of hiring a dodgy doctor, at least get one of the highly-priced ones!
In any case, the timeline of events suggests Leinders has been pivotal to Sky's (particularly Froome's) success. Crucial in aggregating those marginal gains, I assume.
 
Oct 16, 2010
19,912
1
0
by the way, it's not even clear yet whether the guy is Dutch or Belgian, some media calling him Belgian other Dutch. Crazy.
Let's hope Brailsford's investigation will get to the bottom of this :rolleyes:
 
sniper said:
I assume you're right.
Still, however, the timeline of events suggests Leinders has been pivotal to Sky's (particularly Froome's) success. Crucial in aggregating those marginal gains, I assume.
Of course, the possibility exists that Leinders is the one actually to blame for Sky's current performances, but my (unsubstantiated) theory is that he's just the smoking gun that shows Sky has changed their policy, and that the actual guru remains unknown. Unless it's Kerrison.

Rabobank only had Rasmussen performing at incredible levels, even when the whole squad was encouraged to dope. Maybe Rasmussen got his fuel elsewhere, and Leinders was there to make internal tests on him to make sure there wouldn't be a problem with the official ones.

Idle speculation, of course. Sorry for the off-topic - I think it would be more interesting to get as many facts about Leinders as possible here before trying to analyze them.
 
Jun 12, 2010
1,234
0
0
hrotha said:
Of course, the possibility exists that Leinders is the one actually to blame for Sky's current performances, but my (unsubstantiated) theory is that he's just the smoking gun that shows Sky has changed their policy, and that the actual guru remains unknown. Unless it's Kerrison.

Rabobank only had Rasmussen performing at incredible levels, even when the whole squad was encouraged to dope. Maybe Rasmussen got his fuel elsewhere, and Leinders was there to make internal tests on him to make sure there wouldn't be a problem with the official ones.

Idle speculation, of course. Sorry for the off-topic - I think it would be more interesting to get as many facts about Leinders as possible here before trying to analyze them.
Good points there hrotha. Its his bona fide qualifications that seem hard to find. And seeing as Brailford reckons he,s " brilliant" but knows, appaently , little of his history, its the least we can do to try and help. :)
 
(Excerpt)

Scotland on Sunday

July 22, 2012, Sunday
Sport Edition

'They could have afforded any doctor but they went for one who was involved in one of the many scandals that have dogged this sport'

BYLINE: Tom English

SECTION: Pg. 28


"At the heart of this is Geert Leinders, Team Sky's doctor since the end of 2010. Previously with the Rabobank team, Leinders came under suspicion in May when former Rabobank team manager Theo de Rooy admitted that doping was tolerated on the team until 2007. It was a "deliberate decision by the medical staff," said De Rooy. Leinders was the chief doctor at the time and has admitted that when he was with the team, EPO was being used.

When Rabobank rider Michael Rasmussen was kicked off the 2007 Tour, the team fired de Rooy. Leinders left Rabobank in 2009. Having Leinders as part of Team Sky flies in the face of Sky's stated policy on doping. Why is he there and what does he do? And it's not just Leinders. Sean Yates, pictured, is Sky's sporting director and has questions to answer about his years as part of the same set-up as Lance Armstrong at the Motorola and Discovery teams. Also, Yates tested positive when he a bike rider.

Having set out with great intentions, can we have any faith in what Sky say anymore? David Brailsford, general manager at Sky, wants these questions to stop. It's uncomfortable for him. He has defended Leinders by saying that his work with Sky has been as pure as the driven snow but accepts that there could be reputational risk by having Leinders on the books.

This is the official story on Leinders and Sky. Brailsford says that the team employed him following widespread illnesses in the team in the 2010 Vuelta, plus the death from a virus of one of the soigneurs, Txema Gonzalez. "We had all these sick riders going: 'What is going on? This isn't good enough.' And you think: 'We're putting these guys at risk here.' We sat down afterwards and we said: 'We do not know enough about looking after people in extreme heat and extreme fatigue.'"

That was the catalyst for Leinders' arrival. "That's why we decided to go and get him. Has he been a good doctor? Brilliant. The guy really understands. It's not about doping, it's about genuine medical practice."
 
http://www.wielersportboeken.nl/auteur.php?id=491

"Dr. Geert Leinders graduated as a physician at the University of Leiden. He received post-grad in child health care and sports medicine at the University of Ghent.

For fifteen years he worked as a team physician. First for the teams from Sigma, Histor, Panasonic and Lotto. He then from the beginning of the Rabobank Cycling Plan in 1996, working as team physician of the Dutch professional team, with a particular focus on mental training and coaching."
 
The perfect guide towards success

'N' em up "The perfect guide towards success', is a unique training book. The Belgian Geert Leinders is responsible for the medical attendance, his compatriot Paul Standaert provides psychological advice for the sport and the Dutchman Asker E. Jeukendrup provides guidelines for sports nutrition.

Year: [2001]
Publisher: [Almere]: Veldhuis
 
Jun 18, 2009
374
0
0
hrotha said:
Of course, the possibility exists that Leinders is the one actually to blame for Sky's current performances, but my (unsubstantiated) theory is that he's just the smoking gun that shows Sky has changed their policy, and that the actual guru remains unknown. Unless it's Kerrison.
Yeah, it's funny, because the rumours I was hearing months ago were about someone completely different to Leinders.
 
hrotha said:
I get the impression (and this is mildly funny) that Leinders seems to be small fish. The kind who's there mostly to make sure their riders won't trip any wires, rather than the doping guru type. Not a Del Moral. I mean, if you're going to take the risk of hiring a dodgy doctor, at least get one of the highly-priced ones!

Of course I could be completely wrong about Leinders. Maybe inside the peloton he's seen in a different light. After all, I hadn't heard of Ibarguren until this season.
This I agree with. He was never an orchestrator of doping or ever in the same league as Ferrari.

I say decoy as well.
 
Mar 13, 2009
16,856
0
0
but the GB track squad were never clean, this team was never formed with that philosophy. Read DB's manifesto. He wanted the July title.

The only way you get the July, you get the July by having a professional medical program. and just for once, it would be refreshing for an insider, someone like JV say, you cant win July clean, but we wont hold it against you.

I dont personally hold it up against Wiggins. He is ripe material for jokes but :D

I contest the definitions of "cheating", and BW was one who has been common to invoke invoke it previously, but I dont buy any of the career as untainted (re: this puritanical version of "clean"). Nope.

But he ramped up his program to win. Just like I never buy Sastre. Yes untainted in controversy. But not without the "pelotons' help from the hypodermic".
 
Jul 6, 2010
2,340
0
0
thehog said:
This I agree with. He was never an orchestrator of doping or ever in the same league as Ferrari.

I say decoy as well.
Why get Geert as a decoy? Maybe his got the biopass figured out now...

For a decoy, I'd rather go for someone like Dr. Ludo KleenerDanChit, not someone already implicated.

A dirty Doc is not a decoy. A dirty Doc is a dirty Doc.
 
JMBeaushrimp said:
Why get Geert as a decoy? Maybe his got the biopass figured out now...

For a decoy, I'd rather go for someone like Dr. Ludo KleenerDanChit, not someone already implicated.

A dirty Doc is not a decoy. A dirty Doc is a dirty Doc.
Yeah, Hog, I wasn't saying he was a decoy, just that he probably isn't the bigger fish here.
 
Runitout said:
Yeah, it's funny, because the rumours I was hearing months ago were about someone completely different to Leinders.
Do share!
JMBeaushrimp said:
Why get Geert as a decoy? Maybe his got the biopass figured out now...

For a decoy, I'd rather go for someone like Dr. Ludo KleenerDanChit, not someone already implicated.

A dirty Doc is not a decoy. A dirty Doc is a dirty Doc.
Agreed. Hog misunderstood, I didn't mean to imply he was a decoy, and his name getting out there is bad news for Sky, although it's true that right now he might be the trees that don't let some people see the forest.
 
Well Rabobank was a pretty well-oiled machine in the mountains in 2006 but especially 2007. Who doesn't remember Dekker leading almost 80% of the stage to the Aubisque easily keeping a group with Sastre and co at exactly 4 minutes, before Boogerd and Menchov teared it up for Rasmussen at an insane pace.

Now just replace Dekker with Hagen, Boogerd and Menchov with Rogers/Porte and Froome and Rasmussen with Wiggins and you have the same recipe. Except Wiggins being a far superior time trial specialist :D
 
Jul 6, 2010
2,340
0
0
Dekker_Tifosi said:
Well Rabobank was a pretty well-oiled machine in the mountains in 2006 but especially 2007. Who doesn't remember Dekker leading almost 80% of the stage to the Aubisque easily keeping a group with Sastre and co at exactly 4 minutes, before Boogerd and Menchov teared it up for Rasmussen at an insane pace.

Now just replace Dekker with Hagen, Boogerd and Menchov with Rogers/Porte and Froome and Rasmussen with Wiggins and you have the same recipe. Except Wiggins being a far superior time trial specialist :D
KaChing!
----------
 

ASK THE COMMUNITY

TRENDING THREADS