• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

GELS - my new "drug" of choice

Jul 16, 2009
Visit site
Sadly I think I am addicted to TORQ gels .... is this having a placebo effect on me or does it really help with my bodies fitness / nutrition needs when "under the pump" on hills or rolling with the bunch?

I can eat bananas / weet bix with honey etc but nothing gives me the kick like the gel.

HELP ... I have a problem ..... I havent "used" for 10 hours:eek:

Jul 16, 2009
Visit site
Yes caffeine forms part of the gel but lots of other gear in them as well. Surely not as easy as just a caffeine fix. Whats the gear thts doing the real work for me.

Torq Gels is the brand:eek:

Mar 19, 2009
Visit site
The kick is just caffeine. You're spending all that money on a man-made gel of sugar and caffeine.

There's no magic in these ingredients from their website:
Typical Ingredients (Strawberry Yoghurt): Maltodextrin (43%), Water, Fructose (21%), Citric Acid, Electrolytes (Sodium Chloride, Potassium Chloride, Calcium Lactate, Magnesium Carbonate), Natural Yoghurt Flavour (0.2%), Natural Strawberry Flavour (0.05%), Preservative (Sodium Benzoate, Potassium Sorbate). WARNING: TORQ Forest Fruits and Bonoffee gels (with Natural Guarana Extract) contain 89mg of caffeine per serving.

Yeah, caffeine feels great for awhile ..... but then you need more and more and more. Too much and you rob your adrenals ..... rob your adrenals too much and you'll feel more tired than you did before you ever started caffeine.

If you need it to keep up with others, then you're just too slow. The truth shall set you free.

The only way to get over caffeine is to give it up.

Jul 16, 2009
Visit site
My original post was slightly tongue in cheek.

But the gear does really help when youve got work/wife/2yo daughter/other business commitments and all you want to do is ride the bike. Keeps the energy up when feeling flat ... clearly through lack of appropriate nutrition at the time, but handy to have on hand none the less.

What do other people "use" on the ride or are you all super fit/ nutrient overloaded individuals?

Also love the bars as well .... uh oh ..... may have an issue with them as well.

:D:eek::D:eek:

TRENDING THREADS