• The Cycling News forum is still looking to add volunteer moderators with. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

General Doping Thread.

Page 59 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
It's really heart-warming to see the likes of Kenny Pryde still fighting the good fight and saying nothing to see here. I do hope he's getting paid for this, even after all the regime changes in BC and Skineos. Then again, he had the shamelessness to continue promoting his Medal Factory book even after Nicole Cooke defeated him, twice, maybe he's just got nothing else to do.

View: https://twitter.com/Kenny_Pryde/status/1686819580688089098
Can't see he's doing that, but he is stating the obvious that after so much effort investigating Freeman/Sky, there isn't even an athlete name and so without one, I'm guessing the panel will not be able to pin 2.6.2 on him. So it'll be tampering, but even the the lost Greek laptop has a police report according to UKAD. It will come down to him lying to UKAD and the tampering charge by asking the supplier to cover his story I assume.

2018-2019 was Aderlass, wasn't it? Are they still catching small fry from it? Does Stannard fit the profile of one of Schmidt's clients?

Or was there some other dodgy doctor operating then who's rolled over on his clients?
That was my first thought as well. Maybe enough evidence was uncovered that he was a client. Not that he tested positive. Would make sense with the vague wording.

But his Tramadol use wasn't. And that's the point being made.

That was under British Cycling at Worlds in 2012 so before Locke joined in 2013. Freeman wasn't at Worlds 2012.

"There was a time I rode the World Championships and we were offered a painkiller called tramadol,"

M. Barry's statement re. Tramadol was interesting though how he thought of his own use of it. That was at the time Brailsford and him fell out because Barry didn't tell the team of his own doping so was sacked under their zero tolerance policy iirc.

‘I used Tramadol at Sky, I never saw it used in training, only in races, where I saw some Sky riders using it frequently.'
‘Team Sky is clean. I know it’s become a cliché but they focus on the little things, as well as having the best riders. You have to take into account the little factors and the big factors like budget and riders. I’ve never seen anything to doubt their performances.’

That was under British Cycling at Worlds in 2012 so before Locke joined in 2013. Freeman wasn't at Worlds 2012.

"There was a time I rode the World Championships and we were offered a painkiller called tramadol,"

M. Barry's statement re. Tramadol was interesting though how he thought of his own use of it. That was at the time Brailsford and him fell out because Barry didn't tell the team of his own doping so was sacked under their zero tolerance policy iirc.

‘I used Tramadol at Sky, I never saw it used in training, only in races, where I saw some Sky riders using it frequently.'
‘Team Sky is clean. I know it’s become a cliché but they focus on the little things, as well as having the best riders. You have to take into account the little factors and the big factors like budget and riders. I’ve never seen anything to doubt their performances.’

Yeah of course, Team Sky is clean. Trust me bro.

• Haha
Reactions: veganrob

A bit of selective amnesia. Of course Freeman was a lone wolf!

• Haha
Reactions: veganrob

Good grief.

Vingegaard's mom has been baking for all the danes it seems
rmrkNUb.jpg

Seems like Nairoman was not the only one on Tramadol -
https://cyclinguptodate.com/cycling...ol-and-2-sanctioned-among-them-nairo-quintana
In the complex world of professional cycling, details are often intertwined with controversy, and one of the most recent cases that has raised questions is that of Nairo Quintana. Among the 57 cyclists who tested positive for tramadol in 2022, only two faced sanctions from the International Cycling Union, and one of them was the Colombian. This has caused his country to cry out against the UCI.
Raul Banqueri, a renowned journalist, has pointed out the curious contrast in this case. "In 2016, 6.5% of anti-doping samples contained tramadol. This substance has been banned since March 1, 2019. Among the 57 positive samples in 2022, only 2 cyclists were sanctioned: Nairo Quintana and Mykhaylo Kononenko. We do not know what happened to the rest of the positive samples."

This is what they are asking in Colombia after Banqueri's information: "The discrepancy between the number of positive cases and the sanctions imposed raises legitimate questions about the fairness of the UCI's application of the rules and sanctions. Is it possible that there is a certain amount of attention focused on Nairo Quintana? The lack of clarity on this issue only fuels speculation and highlights the need for transparency in UCI decisions."

Edit add - original article seems to be here
https://www.ciclismocolombiano.com/...onados-por-la-uci-entre-ellos-nairo-quintana/

Last edited:
Seems like Nairoman was not the only one on Tramadol -
These are stats from WADA's monitoring programme. They are not anti-doping rule violations. Tramadol is not banned by WADA. It *will* be banned, in 2024.

The UCI's procedure for Tramadol testing is the use of dried bloodspot testing.

All that this tells us - apart from a longitudianal analysis of Tramadole usage - is that the UCI's DBS testing regime is not catching all who are using Tramadol.

There is no conspiracy.

The conspiracy is why did the UCI not use the same testing procedure as WADA - probably because the UCI gave everyone like 5 years to get off Tramadol as so many were hooked on their "finishing bottle". 2016 there was 800 positive tests for Tramadol and now only 57 so maybe UCI can pat themselves on the back (and if the UCI has the names of those 57 tested positive, then they'll be some "targeted testing" next year, I bet! Back to the 2010's "Suspicions list")

https://www.cyclingnews.com/news/wada-moves-to-ban-tramadol-in-competition-starting-in-2024/
"Tramadol will not be banned out-of-competition but the drug can reportedly show up in urine tests up to four days after the last use, while blood tests are thought to detect the drug only within 24 hours of its last use."

The conspiracy is why did the UCI not use the same testing procedure as WADA
Winston Churchill once said to George Orwell that "when the facts change, I change my mind, but others, when the facts change, they move the goalposts in order to maintain the same levels of ignorance and indignation."

Originally, your complaint was that the UCI had only persecuted two scofflaws out of "57 cyclists" identified as using Tramadol by WADA (let's ignore that this claim both ignores the inconvenient fact that Quintana popped two positives and that the 57 refers to samples, not individuals, we've already established your dim and distant relationship with truth and accuracy).

Now you've switched tinfoil hats and want to claim that the UCI only introduced the DBS health-check in order to not catch anyone, a task they have fundamentally failed at given that, to-date, the count for riders caught using Tramadol is what, three? You don't half like to talk nonsense.

As for the UCI using the results of WADA's monitoring programme to target tests, tell me something, please, what are the privacy rules for WADA regarding the sharing of personal information that does not relate to adverse analytical findings and anti-doping rule violations?

As for the "suspicious list" - I can understand why intelligence-led anti-doping testing is beyond you.

Winston Churchill once said to George Orwell that "when the facts change, I change my mind, but others, when the facts change, they move the goalposts in order to maintain the same levels of ignorance and indignation."

Originally, your complaint was that the UCI had only persecuted two scofflaws out of "57 cyclists" identified as using Tramadol by WADA (let's ignore that this claim both ignores the inconvenient fact that Quintana popped two positives and that the 57 refers to samples, not individuals, we've already established your dim and distant relationship with truth and accuracy).

Now you've switched tinfoil hats and want to claim that the UCI only introduced the DBS health-check in order to not catch anyone, a task they have fundamentally failed at given that, to-date, the count for riders caught using Tramadol is what, three? You don't half like to talk nonsense.

As for the UCI using the results of WADA's monitoring programme to target tests, tell me something, please, what are the privacy rules for WADA regarding the sharing of personal information that does not relate to adverse analytical findings and anti-doping rule violations?

As for the "suspicious list" - I can understand why intelligence-led anti-doping testing is beyond you.
1. Do you think superheroes like Vingo and Pog are doping?
2. Are UCI genuinely trying to catch dopers?
3. Would they be willing to bring down a big fish?