• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

General Doping Thread.

Page 25 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Re:

Koronin said:
The article misses some important information. According to this article in French, the initial 1-year ban has been meanwhile reduced to 1 month and ultimately cancelled after it was established that correct procedure notifying him of the control was not observed, whatever that means. Probably organizer's fail to give him the right instructions. The current news is only that the court agreed that Bassons deserves damages for having to go through those unlawful procedures initiated by the Federation.

Re: Re:

yaco said:
Robert5091 said:
90 year old busted!
https://www.usada.org/carl-grove-accepts-public-warning/
USADA announced today that Carl Grove, of Bristol, Ind., an athlete in the sport of cycling, has accepted a public warning for his anti-doping rule violations.

Grove, 90, tested positive for epitrenbolone, which is a metabolite of the prohibited substance trenbolone, as the result of an in-competition urine sample he provided on July 11, 2018 after setting a world record at the Masters Track National Championships. While investigating the source of his positive test, it was also determined that a supplement Grove was using prior to July 11, 2018 was contaminated with clomiphene.

During USADA’s investigation into the circumstances of his case, Grove provided USADA with information which established that the source of his positive test was more likely than not caused by contaminated meat consumed the evening before competing on July 11, 2018. Prior to consuming the meat, Grove had tested negative for prohibited substances during an in-competition test on July 10, 2018.

Before disclosing his consumption of meat on the evening prior to submitting his July 11 sample, Grove provided USADA with information about supplements he had used, none of which listed clomiphene or any other prohibited substances on the Supplement Facts label. Detailed analysis subsequently conducted on the supplement by the WADA-accredited laboratory in Salt Lake City, Utah, confirmed the presence of clomiphene in one of the supplements.

Apparently he was the only competitor in that age group - Seems strange you would waste money on a drug test in this situation.

Probably not unusual where a national record had been set, or more precisely appeared to have been set subject to testing.

Jul 29, 2016
Visit site
Re:

Robert5091 said:
90 year old busted!
USADA announced today that Carl Grove, of Bristol, Ind., an athlete in the sport of cycling, has accepted a public warning for his anti-doping rule violations.

Grove, 90, tested positive for epitrenbolone, which is a metabolite of the prohibited substance trenbolone, as the result of an in-competition urine sample he provided on July 11, 2018 after setting a world record at the Masters Track National Championships. While investigating the source of his positive test, it was also determined that a supplement Grove was using prior to July 11, 2018 was contaminated with clomiphene.

During USADA’s investigation into the circumstances of his case, Grove provided USADA with information which established that the source of his positive test was more likely than not caused by contaminated meat consumed the evening before competing on July 11, 2018. Prior to consuming the meat, Grove had tested negative for prohibited substances during an in-competition test on July 10, 2018.

Before disclosing his consumption of meat on the evening prior to submitting his July 11 sample, Grove provided USADA with information about supplements he had used, none of which listed clomiphene or any other prohibited substances on the Supplement Facts label. Detailed analysis subsequently conducted on the supplement by the WADA-accredited laboratory in Salt Lake City, Utah, confirmed the presence of clomiphene in one of the supplements.

Stupid, they are spending money and other resources to test 90 years old twice in consecutive days. Sorry, but even if he took whole apotheke, he is still incredible and only one in his category. :rolleyes:

I would like to be in such condition if I will become one day 90 .... .

lartiste said:
Robert5091 said:
90 year old busted!

Stupid, they are spending money and other resources to test 90 years old twice in consecutive days. Sorry, but even if he took whole apotheke, he is still incredible and only one in his category. :rolleyes:

As a much younger veteran cyclist than him can sympathise with that view. I also think that as his tainted meat explanation was considered to be more likely than not the right explanation he has been unfortunate.

However, on reading the report again I see he had set a world record (or would have done but for the failed test). Just because nobody else at the time was taking him on does not mean that his record could stand. Other competitors may in due course reach a similar age and want to go for the record. Records are pointless if they are not demonstrably reliable. So what then happened was inevitable and sympathy for him can't alter that.

PeterB said:
Koronin said:
The article misses some important information. According to this article in French, the initial 1-year ban has been meanwhile reduced to 1 month and ultimately cancelled after it was established that correct procedure notifying him of the control was not observed, whatever that means. Probably organizer's fail to give him the right instructions. The current news is only that the court agreed that Bassons deserves damages for having to go through those unlawful procedures initiated by the Federation.

Thanks. Yes the article was missing a lot of information.

Koronin said:
PeterB said:
Koronin said:

Thanks. Yes the article was missing a lot of information.

I think the general opinion is Lappartient and French Federation stitched Bassons up with the missed test because he spoke about various ex-riders doping and Tygart report. Many of those riders and administrators work for French Cycling Federation. Bassons book goes into a bit more detail.

Squire said:
A more recent one (announced today): A Danish junior tested positive for methylhexanamin back in May this year. Case is ongoing and the rider's name is not disclosed because of his young age.

No guarantees that it's him, but I've noticed that one of the best Danish juniors, Mattias Skjelmose Jensen, hasn't raced since May, when he won the prestigious Pays de Vaud stage race (winner's list is like reading a who's who of great juniors throughout the year).

Indeed Squire (in the Evenepoel thread) was right. 10 months suspension to Skjelmose, beginning from July the 7th until May the 6th. Accidental ingestation of a product, and therefore unlikely that he was doping, the UCI says.

Re:

Simurgh said:
Squire said:
A more recent one (announced today): A Danish junior tested positive for methylhexanamin back in May this year. Case is ongoing and the rider's name is not disclosed because of his young age.

No guarantees that it's him, but I've noticed that one of the best Danish juniors, Mattias Skjelmose Jensen, hasn't raced since May, when he won the prestigious Pays de Vaud stage race (winner's list is like reading a who's who of great juniors throughout the year).

Indeed Squire (in the Evenepoel thread) was right. 10 months suspension to Skjelmose, beginning from July the 7th until May the 6th. Accidental ingestation of a product, and therefore unlikely that he was doping, the UCI says.

I'm teaching a different Danish junior rider (maths, so nothing about cycling). But given that I know a lot about cycling, we talked about it today during a lesson. He was far from impressed by Skjelmose. According to my student, Skjelmose had ordered an unnecessary food supplement from Russia of all places which apparently had been contaminated, and previously he had been suspended for punching another rider.

On the national team, Skjelmose had also behaved quite arrogantly and there was clearly no love lost between the two.

tobydawq said:
Simurgh said:
Squire said:

I'm teaching a different Danish junior rider (maths, so nothing about cycling). But given that I know a lot about cycling, we talked about it today during a lesson. He was far from impressed by Skjelmose. According to my student, Skjelmose had ordered an unnecessary food supplement from Russia of all places which apparently had been contaminated, and previously he had been suspended for punching another rider.

On the national team, Skjelmose had also behaved quite arrogantly and there was clearly no love lost between the two.

That's a little harsh. Most often there's more than one side to a story. I heard about that suspension for some confrontation too but Søren Kragh for one was once known to get super agitated in races. That is not necessarily only a bad thing. About the illegal substance issue it was a mistake (intentional use or not) but then he was seventeen at the time.

Jul 29, 2016
Visit site

wrinklyvet said:
lartiste said:
Robert5091 said:
90 year old busted!

As a much younger veteran cyclist than him can sympathise with that view. I also think that as his tainted meat explanation was considered to be more likely than not the right explanation he has been unfortunate.

However, on reading the report again I see he had set a world record (or would have done but for the failed test). Just because nobody else at the time was taking him on does not mean that his record could stand. Other competitors may in due course reach a similar age and want to go for the record. Records are pointless if they are not demonstrably reliable. So what then happened was inevitable and sympathy for him can't alter that.

He is 90 years old, the whole thing is miracle. Look around what 90 years old people are doing. Stop, at first they have to reach that age ;).

What is more interesting is whether he really took trenbolon. In my opinion it is very unprobable. Testosteron? HGH? Yes, but what the hell would be trenbolon good for him ... .

Prohibited non-specified substance though. Even if not your fault, strict liability says you are responsible. It's almost impossible to escape a ban with A & B positive for prohibited non-specified using legal options because there's no legal way it's ever allowed to be in your system, even if not the athlete's fault because of the strict liability code. Cases like Contador, Sharapova, Brajkovic is not the same as Froome's Salbutomol. You're comparing Non-Specified AAF to a Specified AAF. The two are not comparable legally speaking. ie Sharapova has significantly more money than Brajkovic, Contador or Froome and couldn't escape a sanction.

lartiste said:
wrinklyvet said:
lartiste said:
Robert5091 said:
90 year old busted!

He is 90 years old, the whole thing is miracle. Look around what 90 years old people are doing. Stop, at first they have to reach that age ;).

What is more interesting is whether he really took trenbolon. In my opinion it is very unprobable. Testosteron? HGH? Yes, but what the hell would be trenbolon good for him ... .

Look, I have less than 20 years to go to reach his age and I compete, as I hope still to do if I reach it. In Britain there are just over 40 riders aged 80 or over who competed in time trials last year (members of the VTTA, a national association for riders over 40 years old). We call them veterans in road time trials here and you would call them masters as in this track event. I do not lack appreciation of and admiration for the achievements of any of them, or of what this 90-year-old has done. At his age and even mine there are many people who are medically unable even to get on a bike.

However, I do believe him - that he ate something completely legitimately and without knowledge of the residues in it. Farmers optimising their cattle growth with drugs do not think of people like him, whether it is allowed for them to feed or treat animals like that or not.

This section was significant and I see no reason not to take it at face value, "Grove provided USADA with information which established that the source of his positive test was more likely than not caused by contaminated meat consumed the evening before competing on July 11, 2018. Prior to consuming the meat, Grove had tested negative for prohibited substances during an in-competition test on July 10, 2018."

Despite all that, it surely can't be allowed for a record to stand where a prohibited drug has been found. And apart from disallowing the record isn't the reprimand he received the lightest sanction possible in the circumstances, even though it was unintentional consumption in his case?

it's so sad that this incident appears to blight his record. Good luck to him and I hope he gets another chance to add to his palmares.

Look, I have less than 20 years to go to reach his age and I compete, as I hope still to do if I reach it. In Britain there are just over 40 riders aged 80 or over who competed in time trials last year (members of the VTTA, a national association for riders over 40 years old). We call them veterans in road time trials here and you would call them masters as in this track event. I do not lack appreciation of and admiration for the achievements of any of them, or of what this 90-year-old has done. At his age and even mine there are many people who are medically unable even to get on a bike.

However, I do believe him - that he ate something completely legitimately and without knowledge of the residues in it. Farmers optimising their cattle growth with drugs do not think of people like him, whether it is allowed for them to feed or treat animals like that or not.

This section was significant and I see no reason not to take it at face value, "Grove provided USADA with information which established that the source of his positive test was more likely than not caused by contaminated meat consumed the evening before competing on July 11, 2018. Prior to consuming the meat, Grove had tested negative for prohibited substances during an in-competition test on July 10, 2018."

Despite all that, it surely can't be allowed for a record to stand where a prohibited drug has been found. And apart from disallowing the record isn't the reprimand he received the lightest sanction possible in the circumstances, even though it was unintentional consumption in his case?

it's so sad that this incident appears to blight his record. Good luck to him and I hope he gets another chance to add to his palmares.[/quote]

Great contribution. Congratulations.

https://www.seattletimes.com/sports/zubkov-among-4-russian-bobsledders-banned-for-olympic-doping/
Five years after the Sochi Olympics, the man who carried the Russian flag at the opening ceremony has been banned for doping at those games.

Alexander Zubkov, already stripped of two Olympic gold medals, was among four Russian bobsledders banned Wednesday until December 2020 for their part in organized doping at the 2014 Games.

They are the first cases in any sport with athletes receiving full bans as a result of Russia’s doping sample swaps at the games, rather than only being disqualified from the competition itself.

Zubkov told The Associated Press he could appeal the verdict, and won’t step down as Russian Bobsled Federation president.

“I’m going to talk it all over with my lawyer,” Zubkov said.

All four were banned for two years by the International Bobsled and Skeleton Federation, which accepted an earlier Court of Arbitration for Sport ruling that they were part of a scheme to swap steroid-tainted samples for clean urine.

The sanctions bar them from any role in the sport, which in Zubkov’s case would include his role as president of the Russian Bobsled Federation. However, that could be complicated by Zubkov’s own legal maneuvers in Russia. In November, he won a ruling from a Moscow court that the earlier CAS verdict did not apply in Russia, and an appeal by the Russian Olympic Committee was rejected last week.

Zubkov said he didn’t think the IBSF should be able to remove him as the top official in Russian bobsledding.

The International Olympic Committee is still demanding Zubkov return his gold medals.

http://tass.com/sport/1041005
MOSCOW, January 21. /TASS/. The Russian Anti-Doping Agency (RUSADA) plans to step up its educational anti-doping work with national figure skating athletes, a senior official with the agency told TASS on Monday.

Why you might ask?
A 13-year-old female figure skater from Russia, Anastasia Shabatova, who is training with Snezhnye Barsy (Snow Leopards) club in Moscow, stated earlier in her social network account that using doping was useful.

Not a good sign with WADA's meeting tomorrow (22nd) about RUSADA :D

Have you all seen this one yet?

Salas has biological passport ban overturned by Spanish authorities

Court says biological passport could not prove if rider had taken banned substances

[url=http://www.cyclingnews.com/ne...ssport-ban-overturned-by-spanish-authorities/[/url]

"According to the TAD, the biological passport does not account for knowing whether or not the athlete did, in fact, take a prohibited substance, or where or when it may have been taken. The court said that the biological passport "is not sufficient to prove the commission of an infringement" and chose to nullify Salas' ban."

Based on this ruling, I would suspect Roson to appeal his ban through the Spanish Courts as well.

TRENDING THREADS