General News Thread

Page 118 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Jul 16, 2010
17,455
2
0
The Hitch said:
Sorry Mike but i think this is a bit misleading. You might be giving many Vinomaniacs false hope.

Its highly unlikely hell do next season. For now hes just focused on making Lombardy. which would of course be some miracle recovery.

Lets take it one step at a time;)
He should do Tour Down Under, as I think his team will need the points for next year. And if he quits this year, his points won't count for next year. Or am I wrong here?
 
Jun 16, 2009
19,654
1
0
Evans has said at Tour of Colorado press conference that it may not be his last race for the season. He may be doing the Canadian GP's
 
Sep 27, 2009
1,008
0
0
El Pistolero said:
He should do Tour Down Under, as I think his team will need the points for next year. And if he quits this year, his points won't count for next year. Or am I wrong here?
Does he even need to race next year? Can he just sign on for another year, claim he is going to race then retire after the licences are decided without having done a single days racing? It would be a bit dodgey but the whole licence situation is a joke so I would not blame Astana and Vino or any team with a retiring rider with points for doing it.
 
May 27, 2010
5,376
0
0
auscyclefan94 said:
Evans has said at Tour of Colorado press conference that it may not be his last race for the season. He may be doing the Canadian GP's
He should be racing more and doing lombardy. His season has been quite light for his standards but I understand after all he just won le tour.
 
Jun 22, 2009
10,644
2
0
LukeSchmid said:
Does he even need to race next year? Can he just sign on for another year, claim he is going to race then retire after the licences are decided without having done a single days racing? It would be a bit dodgey but the whole licence situation is a joke so I would not blame Astana and Vino or any team with a retiring rider with points for doing it.
could leave an annoying precedent tho.
 
Jun 11, 2011
473
0
0
US Pro crit Championships

strangely no mention of Rahsaan Bahati in the article today. Ex-champ that is not riding for a pro team this year, and nobody would give him a one-day ride? no exemption for a former US champion? what's the full story on this cycling news? sad for US cycling that he wasn't there
 
Jan 11, 2010
12,579
0
0
auscyclefan94 said:
Evans has said at Tour of Colorado press conference that it may not be his last race for the season. He may be doing the Canadian GP's
That's great news. Gilbert will have to fight for that WT title.

Unfortunately it's the first and the last time in a long while that we'll see them race against each other.
 
Feb 25, 2010
3,854
1
0
Echoes said:
Care to explain the contradiction between this quote and the second sentence in your sig, please.
He paid for it, and he's an exciting rider :p + you see he's not as good as he was during his doping years. Basso as well, he's not even half the climber he was in 06
 
Exactly, the maximum of riders depends on the number of neo pros in a team.

Riders
2.15.110 The number of riders in each UCI ProTeam may not be fewer than twenty-three (23).

The maximum number of riders per UCI ProTeam which may be registered with the UCI is restricted according to the number of new professionals under contract (within the meaning of article 7 of the joint agreement concluded between the CPA (Cyclistes Professionnels Associés - Associated Professional Cyclists) and the AIGCP (Association Internationale des Groupes Cyclistes Professionnels - International Association of Professional Cycling Teams) in the following manner:

Neo Pro - Rides max
0 -> 28
1 -> 29
2-5 -> 30
 
hrotha said:
I think some of them have to be neopros.
Fair enough; in which case I would have thought it was no problem to consider Vino inactive for the moment, which is apparently how they were able to pick up Kash, by claiming Vino as retired ergo no longer contracted, then if he wishes to ride Lombardia then basically pull the switch with somebody who's been off the road for a while (eg Mirco Lorenzetto, who hasn't raced since the Tour de Suisse) or who is likely to retire at the end of the season and isn't likely to feature in Lombardia at all (eg Andrey Mizourov).
 
Michielveedeebee said:
He paid for it, and he's an exciting rider :p + you see he's not as good as he was during his doping years. Basso as well, he's not even half the climber he was in 06
Rebecca and Sella also paid for it. And your opinion on them is different.
He doped, so he could be exciting.

At age 35 and after two years of absence, he wins Liège, which he did in his doped years. No kidding?

I don't know what makes it that I can't stand that guy. It might all have started with Gaumont's accusation of being corrupted during Paris-Nice 2003, to help Mr Vinokurov win the race and pretend it all was a tribute to Kivilev. So cynical.

But then again, with regards to the positive test, he NEVER admitted the obvious. Even when he came back. On top of that he acted like a mafioso using his powerful relations in his country to have Bruyneel take him back in 2009.

All he deserves is contempt !! :mad:
 
Feb 25, 2010
3,854
1
0
Echoes said:
Rebecca and Sella also paid for it. And your opinion on them is different.
He doped, so he could be exciting.

At age 35 and after two years of absence, he wins Liège, which he did in his doped years. No kidding?

I don't know what makes it that I can't stand that guy. It might all have started with Gaumont's accusation of being corrupted during Paris-Nice 2003, to help Mr Vinokurov win the race and pretend it all was a tribute to Kivilev. So cynical.

But then again, with regards to the positive test, he NEVER admitted the obvious. Even when he came back. On top of that he acted like a mafioso using his powerful relations in his country to have Bruyneel take him back in 2009.

All he deserves is contempt !! :mad:
True, there's a lot of reasons to hate Vino but I got to appreciate him this year + the reactions @Liege last year were ridiculous, made me feel some sympathy for the guy.

It's true, I'm not really consistent in hating on dopers... I like Basso and Scarponi, pretty neutral towards Vino(I like his comeback thx to his attacking style), hate Rebellin and Sella and Schumacher...

Some guys are just easier to like ...
 
Jun 16, 2009
3,035
0
0
Lets drop the doping talk immediately please.

It is a forum offense to introduce discussion of doping into a thread outside the clinic.
 
Mar 13, 2009
5,245
0
0
ESPN The Magazine releases the top salaries of athletes in their own country:

1) Alex Rodriguez and Manny Pacquiao $32 M
3) Kimi Raikkönen $26.3 M
4) Fernando Alonso $22.7 M
5) Johan Santana $21.6 M

The only cyclist on the list is Andy Schleck with $2.7 M. With this salary, he is among the ranks of footballers such as Nadir Belhajd (Algeria), Herit Ilunga (DR Congo) or Stéphane Sesegnon (Benin). 114 out of the 182 sportsmen are footballers.

Note that the list only shows the top earner of each country, hence Contador might earn more than Andy, but is not on the list because he is out-earned by Alonso.

The list does not include prize money, bonus money, sponsoring or advertisement money.

Source: Luxemburger Wort print edition
 

ASK THE COMMUNITY