• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

General News Thread

Page 65 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Looking at Brice Feillus CQ record one thing that sticks out is that he has a lot of stage races where he has a GC finish in the top 50 somewhere but no stage results to speak of at all which means in most races he didn't break the top 20 on any stage. That's never a good sign.

Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
ingsve said:
He has a heart condition that has kept him out of competitions and that's the reason he has ended his career at age 31.

Didn't know that as in an article by Ride they used Calzati's and Portal's little amount of race days in 2010 with Skyas an example of french riders not getting much of a go on non french teams.

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site
Libertine Seguros said:
Sylvain Chavanel and Jérôme Pineau, Quick Step
Jean-Christophe Peraud, Omega Pharma-Lotto
Romain Sicard and Pierre Cazaux, Euskaltel-Euskadi
Christophe Le Mevel, Garmin-Cervélo
Nicolas Portal, Team Sky

- Chavanel, Pineau and Peraud since they are on primarily French speaking teams
- Sicard since he is Basque (don't know about Cazaux)
- Portal since he is a DS

leaves us with Le Mevel

Christian said:
- Chavanel, Pineau and Peraud since they are on primarily French speaking teams
- Sicard since he is Basque (don't know about Cazaux)
- Portal since he is a DS

leaves us with Le Mevel

Quick Step are predominantly French-speaking? I thought they were the more Flandrian of the two major Belgian teams?

Besides, your argument was about Brice Feillu being the only Frenchman on a big team; and regardless of the reasons for their being there, Chavanel, Pineau, Peraud, Sicard and Cazaux are all on big teams too, therefore your argument is false.

Not to mention that I forgot Romain Feillu, since Vacansoleil have been promoted this season.

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site
Libertine Seguros said:
Quick Step are predominantly French-speaking? I thought they were the more Flandrian of the two major Belgian teams?

Besides, your argument was about Brice Feillu being the only Frenchman on a big team; and regardless of the reasons for their being there, Chavanel, Pineau, Peraud, Sicard and Cazaux are all on big teams too, therefore your argument is false.

Not to mention that I forgot Romain Feillu, since Vacansoleil have been promoted this season.

Let me rephrase my argument.

It is rather unusual for Frenchmen to be on big international teams where the first language is English (I assume that must be the case at Team Luxembourg as well). Whether this is because of lack of talent, ambition or because of the relative good French teams, I don't know.
My arguement was therefore "Brice Feillu is one of the very few French riders on a primarily english-speaking top team"

Since we are splitting hairs already, we all appreciate what Vacansoleil, Quick Step and Euskaltel (is it you who has a huge crush on Txurruka?) are doing, but I'm not sure if they qualify as top teams. They are on the top level of the sport, but in terms of results, line-up and budget, they are not in the Top-10.

Last but not least, even on Quick Step I'm sure most everyone speaks and understands French.

So in conclusion, hats off to Brice Feillu for landing a contract with the best team in 2011 (on paper). Regardless of how they will do or of how he will do, I think it's a good thing for French cycling in general that he landed this contract, and I'd be happy to see more Frenchmen with teams such as HTC, Rabobank, Garmin, Liquigas, Saxo Bank ... I hope that's not too controversial ?!

(Sorry for dissing your boy Amets)

Christian said:
It is rather unusual for Frenchmen to be on big international teams where the first language is English (I assume that must be the case at Team Luxembourg as well). Whether this is because of lack of talent, ambition or because of the relative good French teams, I don't know.
My arguement was therefore "Brice Feillu is one of the very few French riders on a primarily english-speaking top team"
OK, that argument I can accept, as clearly you had simply forgotten about Le Mevel being at Garmin the same way I forgot about Peraud moving to AG2R. However, the previous wording meant that the argument was a fallacy - now that you've specified the constraints of your argument it makes a lot more sense.

Since we are splitting hairs already, we all appreciate what Vacansoleil, Quick Step and Euskaltel (is it you who has a huge crush on Txurruka?) are doing, but I'm not sure if they qualify as top teams. They are on the top level of the sport, but in terms of results, line-up and budget, they are not in the Top-10.
CQ ranking has Vacansoleil ranked 7th for 2010. Euskaltel aren't in the top 10, and nor are QS, but then again QS had an annus horribilis in the Classics, and Euskaltel only focus on part of the season - but focused on it well, being 4th in the Tour and in position to win the Vuelta before injury struck. These are top teams. If they are not top teams, who are? You've already shifted the goalposts once. I understand how you meant the argument to sound, but you didn't make it clear enough.

Last but not least, even on Quick Step I'm sure most everyone speaks and understands French.
I'm sure they do. Flandrians have to learn French from a very young age as it's the other working language of their country. But of 15 Belgians who represented Quick Step last year, only 1 was not Flandrian (Frederique Robert). Add on to that 2 Frenchmen, and that's only 3 out of the squad who are Francophone as a first language. I doubt French is the working language of Quick Step when you consider the international value of English and the numerical superiority of Dutch-speakers in the team.

So in conclusion, hats off to Brice Feillu for landing a contract with the best team in 2011 (on paper). Regardless of how they will do or of how he will do, I think it's a good thing for French cycling in general that he landed this contract, and I'd be happy to see more Frenchmen with teams such as HTC, Rabobank, Garmin, Liquigas, Saxo Bank ... I hope that's not too controversial ?!

(Sorry for dissing your boy Amets)

It is too controversial, because you mentioned HTC, and I hope they go up in smoke and disappear along with their methods and approach. And frankly, I think Saxo no longer belong to the 'top teams' if QS, Euskaltel and Vacansoleil don't - without Schleck, Schleck, Cancellara, Fuglsang, Voigt, O'Grady and Breschel they don't look so strong anymore (presuming Contador gets banned).

Other than that I agree :)

auscyclefan94 said:
Didn't know that as in an article by Ride they used Calzati's and Portal's little amount of race days in 2010 with Skyas an example of french riders not getting much of a go on non french teams.

Well, Calzati rode a steady program until June but wasn't good enough in the races he rode to take a place in the Tour or Vuelta and in August he abandoned the races he rode so those don't count as race days. After abandoning the Vuelta Sky didn't race more than 13 race days for the rest of the season so many of them had lower number of race days than average. If they want more race days then they need to be better so that they get to ride the GTs and if you're not then the race days are usually fewer.

DAOTEC

BANNED
Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
Matthew Lloyd has broken his schoulder so the Omega Pharma-Lotto Aussie and Giro Green jersey winner is Out-Of-Competition and will get sugery on Thursday, what-when-where is up in the air for the season start. (sporza)

Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
DAOTEC said:
Matthew Lloyd has broken his schoulder so the Omega Pharma-Lotto Aussie and Giro Green jersey winner is Out-Of-Competition and will get sugery on Thursday, what-when-where is up in the air for the season start. (sporza)

Full story in English is here.

Aug 26, 2010
Visit site
Spidertech

Im really interested in learning more about Spidertech. From what I have read I like the way they are doing things. Could someone in the know please post their 2011 roster as it currently stands and the achievments of their riders. Also any other interesting info or links about them would be much appreciated.