• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

General News Thread

Page 497 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Nov 3, 2021
Visit site
Incredibly shocking and sad news.
I have been an avid listener to the Cycling Podcast for nearly 5 years now. I especially love their daily grand tour podcasts which go far beyond just the racing. Will sorely miss Richard. My heartfelt condolences to his family and the Cycling Podcast team.

It is not public knowledge how it happened
On GCN's World of Cycling, Dan Lloyd mentioned that Richard passed away in his sleep.

The parcours of the 2022 World Champs in Wollongong have been revealed.

This is the parcours for the men elite:

FPKgXjSWYAIBAd_

FPKggQ6XoAQYG1K

Almost no way the pure sprinters are going to survive to the final of this race.
Depends on what you define as a pure sprinter. This circuit sits in between Bergen 2017 and Geelong 2010, both of which ended up in sprints of 20- to 30-rider groups. In fact, Kristoff and Gaviria made the top-10 of the former, and Allan Davis and Romain Feillu did the same in the latter. The nature of this generation means the racing will probably be harder but I still wouldn't count out a sprinter with a bit of climbing pedigree who's peaking for this race. An in-form Ewan or Nizzolo, for example, should still be in with a shout.

The parcours of the 2022 World Champs in Wollongong have been revealed.

This is the parcours for the men elite:

FPKgXjSWYAIBAd_

FPKggQ6XoAQYG1K

Is there any info about how difficult mount Ousley is?

Climb seems difficult enough for riders like Alaphilipe, van Aert, MvdP, ect. to get some gap. Will depend on how many can hang on the top and if the group will work together afterwards well enough if a small bunch sprint can be avoided. Rather typical circuit, Geelong, Salzburg, Valkenburg, Bergen. Can be entertaining if teams think they need to race hard to get rid of the sprinters or rather boring if they think they can wait for a final punch.

Reactions: Sandisfan
Depends on what you define as a pure sprinter. This circuit sits in between Bergen 2017 and Geelong 2010, both of which ended up in sprints of 20- to 30-rider groups. In fact, Kristoff and Gaviria made the top-10 of the former, and Allan Davis and Romain Feillu did the same in the latter. The nature of this generation means the racing will probably be harder but I still wouldn't count out a sprinter with a bit of climbing pedigree who's peaking for this race. An in-form Ewan or Nizzolo, for example, should still be in with a shout.
Think its significantly steeper than Salmon Hill in Bergen. Its harder than Amstel Gold lol

Think its significantly steeper than Salmon Hill in Bergen. Its harder than Amstel Gold lol
Amstel Gold Race is harder than the numbers suggest thanks to the string of climbs without flat and the narrow roads, here there's a lot of flat on wider roads to recover after each climb so I disagree on it being harder. Salmon Hill is definitely easier, mainly due to it having a more consistent gradient, but it's still one of the closest comparisons on offer.

Anybody got the profile of the full climb on the lap so Mount Ousley + Mount Pleasant?

I saw somewhere that Mount Ousley was 0,8 km à 9% but that's impossible given the top is at 54m on the profile (unless they start in a crater somewhere :p )
Link to the correct climb on Veloviewer. Mount Ousley is ~500 metres at 6.2%, then there are ~900 metres to the foot of Mount Pleasant, most of this is a mild downhill.

Reactions: Billie
Amstel Gold Race is harder than the numbers suggest thanks to the string of climbs without flat and the narrow roads, here there's a lot of flat on wider roads to recover after each climb so I disagree on it being harder. Salmon Hill is definitely easier, mainly due to it having a more consistent gradient, but it's still one of the closest comparisons on offer.
Good point; a sharp turn onto a narrow road to start a short climb effectively increases the length of the climb

I defer. The hilly stages could be really interesting.
Maybe the Novazzano stage. Not sure about the other. The Aetsch stage has this climb, followed by a 14 km descent:

ChallS.gif

Stage 5 to Brunnen has a climb which seems to bes something like 3 km, 8,5 % before 15 km descent. I don't think any of these stages will prompt a lot of action.

The toughest Tour de Suisse of recent years - Tour de Suisse: 6. – 13. June 2021 This year’s Tour de Suisse will be demanding for both the men and the women. The topography and diversity of Switzerland will be at the fore. It is up and down and the route leads through all four linguistic regions. An additional highlight – the visit to the neighbouring country of...
www.tourdesuisse.ch
www.tourdesuisse.ch
Business as usual. Two big MTFs and not much else. Too bad that more or less all the bigger one week races except Pais Vasco rely so heavily on big MTFs of 15+ km.

If you think that the 2021 Giro got presented too late, a quick reminder that the official presentation of the Tour de Romandie route will only take place on the 12th, 2 weeks before the start of the race. We know the start and finishing towns, but presenting the route only 2 weeks before the actual race starts has to be some kind of record. What's next, presenting the route of every stage right before the start of the stage?

If you think that the 2021 Giro got presented too late, a quick reminder that the official presentation of the Tour de Romandie route will only take place on the 12th, 2 weeks before the start of the race. We know the start and finishing towns, but presenting the route only 2 weeks before the actual race starts has to be some kind of record. What's next, presenting the route of every stage right before the start of the stage?
UCI really should require WT races to unveil their parcours in time if they want to keep their license. Of course, they don't have the time to do that kind of thing because they're too busy finding ways to measure sock lengths with iPads.

TRENDING THREADS