• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

General News Thread

Page 508 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
And here are the ladies:

Cecilie Uttrup Ludwig (FDJ - SUEZ - Futuroscope)
Emma Norsgaard Bjerg (Movistar Team)
Julie Leth (Uno-X Pro Cycling Team)
Rebecca Koerner (Uno-X Pro Cycling Team)

Koerner is a bit of a surprise, considering she hasn't raced any UCI races for three months (since she crashed out of RideLondon with a concussion) and has only finished one Belgian criterium in that period, but I guess that says something about the level of the alternatives.

There's no clear favorite in that team but it's still the second or third best team in the race after Belgium and France. Six of these riders can potentially be around to try something in the last lap.

I doubt it'll even be among the five best teams on paper, but that doesn't mean it can't achieve a great result. I don't have high hopes though.

Reactions: Sandisfan
Koerner is a bit of a surprise, considering she hasn't raced any UCI races for three months (since she crashed out of RideLondon with a concussion) and has only finished one Belgian criterium in that period, but I guess that says something about the level of the alternatives.

I doubt it'll even be among the five best teams on paper, but that doesn't mean it can't achieve a great result. I don't have high hopes though.

Not a big a surprise as Jodie Talbot who got a spot in the Australian women's team - She's a 26 year old with limited RR experience who is currently riding for a club/conti team in mainly .2 races.

Well she is the Oceanian champion, so they could either select her or only send six riders.

Since when does the Oceania champion get a direct spot on the Worlds team - I have checked the past records and this has not been an automatic right - For example, Katrin Garfoot won the 2013 Oceania and was not selected for the Australian team - No wonder there were appeals from the women's side.

• Wow
Since when does the Oceania champion get a direct spot on the Worlds team - I have checked the past records and this has not been an automatic right - For example, Katrin Garfoot won the 2013 Oceania and was not selected for the Australian team - No wonder there were appeals from the women's side.

If the rules were the same in 2013, then Garfoot didn't have a guaranteed spot, because Australia already had 7 spots. You can only bring an eighth rider, if it's the reigning world champion.

• Wow
If the rules were the same in 2013, then Garfoot didn't have a guaranteed spot, because Australia already had 7 spots. You can only bring an eighth rider, if it's the reigning world champion.

Is this an UCI rule ? If so it's a flawed rule, especially if it applies to Australia which is one of the stronger nations. Does this also apply to the European champion or Asian Champion etc. I can understand Australia not choosing Gigante with her lack of racing BUT it seems strange they would overlook Bradbury who could compete for the under 23's.

Is this an UCI rule ? If so it's a flawed rule, especially if it applies to Australia which is one of the stronger nations. Does this also apply to the European champion or Asian Champion etc. I can understand Australia not choosing Gigante with her lack of racing BUT it seems strange they would overlook Bradbury who could compete for the under 23's.

It applies to all continental champions.

I would have selected Bradbury, but only because of her climbing abilities, since the U23 race within a race is a joke.

It's two teams

Team A
Van Aert
Van Hooydonck
Hermans
Stuyven

Team B
Evenepoel
Lampaert
Serry
Dewulf

Someone with better photoshop skills than me should do a remake of this poster.

Captain_America_Civil_War_poster.jpg

Belgium could have the following reserve team as a B team and continue to have a better team than the majority of the other countries.

Teuns, Philipsen, Campenaerts, Van Gestel, De Bondt, Van Avermaet, Theuns, Vansevenant

Not counting riders like Benoot or Wellens, who are injured or coming out of injury, or Gilbert.

I think it's mindblowing not to take Philipsen (who still seems to be in fine form). He is the perfect insurance in case attackers don't make it, so he complements Van Aert well. He'd have been the second most likely Belgian winner of the road race.

Yes. The only con I see is if the belgian strategy is set to attack with Remco and have WVA as a follower of moves to finish in a bunch/restricted group sprint.

It will be a waste if WVA is chained to that role. But I wouldn't be surprised.

Yeah I was listening to Bennett and Bewley talk about that recently on the social distance podcast, blows my mind that if it doesn’t involve an Olympic medal the association doesn’t care.
When it's over will remember the great champions, but there are going to be a lot of riders missing, it's a triple whammy of cost, trade trade team relegation concerns and also apparently focus on winning world tour is also having an impact.

It's possible that only two, Ayuso and Soler, out of the preselected spanish riders are available for the world's. Aranburu, Valverde, Lazkano and Mas might not be allowed to go unless Movistar are secure in the rankings after the Vuelta and the same goes for Ion Izagirre and Jesus Herrada from Cofidis. And strangely enough Ineos might not free Carlos Rodriguez because they want to win the world tour team classification.

Last edited:

TRENDING THREADS