• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

General News Thread

Page 512 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
That West End route seems unlikely in places. The turn off Gibson/Eldon Street will mean removing the fences around a pelican crossing and a big gate from the park. It'll also result in some very hard breaking as they'll be flying down there. Fully expect that to be actually down Woodlands Road, Woodlands gate and up Park Quandrant on the actual route. The path they have them going on behind the Kelvingrove Museum is a walking path, they aren't using that., but they could easily go through the car park to the Snow bridge.

The route in the city centre uses a section of Cathedral street in both directions, I'm assuming they'll barrier it. If that's the correct route that's the hard way up to the art school. If they're coming that way towards montrose I would have preferred to see them use North Portland Street, It's a harder climb and literally just one along, but that's a harder route than the Euros and has a few places to have a go on it.

I've also been told the Edinburgh start is going to be different, but it's very possible that route doesn't include the neutralised bit. I doubt they'll use the motorway bridge across the Firth of Forth, if only because they'll want them to go over the Forth road bridge for the camera pictures. The rest of the route outside of Glasgow seem likely, it's essentially what I would have drawn, and I'm actually riding the valley, crow and some of the way back into Glasgow tomorrow.

Fully expect that route to change a bit, but hopefully not too much.
Lasterketa Burua has the same route except for around Kelvingrove: https://ridewithgps.com/routes/41021257

It's based on the map of the city circuit that you can see in red:
FdVS7LiX0AEIMl6

It seems fairly straightforward to me to map it from that.

• Wow
Reactions: Sandisfan
Ewan also is superb on crit style circuits. Those city roads from south to north are all fairly steep, though, as far as I can remember from visiting Glasgow?!
They're steep but they're short. It's a harder circuit than the Euros and Commonwealth Games, and it's hard to predict how it will be raced. I think it's going to be very tough for any pure sprinter to compete.
Lasterketa Burua has the same route except for around Kelvingrove: https://ridewithgps.com/routes/41021257

It's based on the map of the city circuit that you can see in red:
FdVS7LiX0AEIMl6

It seems fairly straightforward to me to map it from that.
So one of the two things I thought likely to be incorrect is different on this guess.

The turn into Kelvingrove would make for a better course, it's straight up a ramp and then a bit of an off-camber u-turn that's going to string out the riders, but it's a pelican crossing in front of the gate with fences and curbs. They may decide there's room to just take them between the lights, but it's a narrow space so I'd guess they'd want stuff removed. The Gate would also need to go, but that's easier to deal with. The run down Gibson Street was one of the fastest parts of the circuit in the past two races, I'm not sure I'd want to be responsible for mixing such a high speed section and such a small, tight turn. They could also go up park avenue and park drive. I think the car park now has fences around it, but they'd be fairly easy to open up.

On the route form Edinburgh I've also heard they're going through Cluross, but thats just a slight detour on the routes posted and I'd guess they'd stick on the A9 in Stirling.

I've just realised Thomas won in Glasgow in 2014... if its a similar course, I'm putting his name out there as a dark horse.
I think the chances of a whole range of riders could win. The course is slightly different it would appear, but mostly has the same characteristics. Each time there's been a race on it though it's been a completely different kind/category of race with a mostly a different kind of rider whos won on it. The nationals were by Cavendish and Deignan, the commonwealth's by Thomas and Deignan, and the Euros by Trenton and Bastianelli.

I think the chances of a whole range of riders could win. The course is slightly different it would appear, but mostly has the same characteristics. Each time there's been a race on it though it's been a completely different kind/category of race with a mostly a different kind of rider whos won on it. The nationals were by Cavendish and Deignan, the commonwealth's by Thomas and Deignan, and the Euros by Trenton and Bastianelli.

*Super RHD-Mode activated. *

Technically, it should be Armitstead, not Deignan. Both those races were before she got married.

Last edited:
Don't really see how bike racing history can really go on in current form..as if you would need to say..pre war,post war..modern era and now this.. Just read about Giro organizers trying to structure the race w multiple time trials as a lure to riders like Remco..sounds logical in a temporary sort of way. His handlers, with decades of experience.. May say that he could go after1 but not 2 in a row on his current skyrocketing trajectory.. But I don't think I could see him doing the Giro and then the TDF at his age and experience and sincerely hope to win both.. And he now will have a bit of history w a desire for a repeat at the Vuelta..but I think cycling history will not see any current riders line up for all three GranTours in a year..
Don't think that the sport of bike racing collectively could come up with a reward system to pay the top three riders who accumulated points from all three races..and a requirement that you start all three.. Personally I would love to see the greatest currently do all three

Don't really see how bike racing history can really go on in current form..as if you would need to say..pre war,post war..modern era and now this.. Just read about Giro organizers trying to structure the race w multiple time trials as a lure to riders like Remco..sounds logical in a temporary sort of way. His handlers, with decades of experience.. May say that he could go after1 but not 2 in a row on his current skyrocketing trajectory.. But I don't think I could see him doing the Giro and then the TDF at his age and experience and sincerely hope to win both.. And he now will have a bit of history w a desire for a repeat at the Vuelta..but I think cycling history will not see any current riders line up for all three GranTours in a year..
Don't think that the sport of bike racing collectively could come up with a reward system to pay the top three riders who accumulated points from all three races..and a requirement that you start all three.. Personally I would love to see the greatest currently do all three
Don’t forget get that in cycling “history” doing all three was rarely possible because the Vuelta and Giro virtually overlapped in the Spring.

TRENDING THREADS